UKC

REVIEW: FRCC Lakes Sport & Slate

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 02 Oct 2020
Sport and Slate montage

There's a lot more to the Lake District than its traditional mountain crags, and this attractive new guide brings coverage of the area's diverse sport climbing (plus slate trad, dry tooling and DWS) fully up to date.  

Read more
 Steve Wetton 02 Oct 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

The Lakes is well served by new guidebooks to trad and bouldering, so this much needed guide completes the set. Having said that, clearly sport is not going to dominate climbing in the area in the way it has taken over in Yorkshire, and the area will always be defined by the fabulous mountain crags.

I've used this guide on a dozen or so occasions this summer and very much appreciate the efforts of the writing team and the Cumbria Bolt Fund. The guide needed writing, and the bolting and re-bolting effort is huge, and is obviously still a work in progress. I guess you can pick fault in some technical points about the guide, but the bar has been set pretty high by Rockfax and Vertibrate, so given that this was finished off during the lockdown, I reckon it's a pretty good effort.

Chapel Head Scar might be the jewell in the crown, but if you're not comfy climbing in the 7s, or if the ban is still on, there are now plenty of other crags to go at. Bram has become the 'horseshoe of the lakes', in terms of popularity, but in a far nicer setting. The other limestone crags are benefiting from re-bolting and good coverage in the guide, but there is still a lot more bolting work to be done. I'd not climbed on Lakes slate for 25 years prior to this guide coming out, and whilst it will probably remain an acquired taste,  the guide gave me several fun days at Tilberthwaite and Runstone recently that were as enjoyable as any I've had this summer. Good effort all round and thanks!

fotoVUE 04 Oct 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

The successor to the Lakes Rockfax...from 1994.

https://rockfax.com/climbing-guides/old-books/the-lakes/

M

Post edited at 06:13
In reply to fotoVUE:

It was ahead of its time

Post edited at 09:16
 fotoVUE 05 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Of its time Rob, just took the rest decades to catch up.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...