UKC

Resole rubber for Grit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 smudge 02 Oct 2020

I'm using Tenaya Iati's on grit and am looking at resoling an old pair. What's the best resole rubber for these for grit? Recommendations please! Thanks.

Tigger 02 Oct 2020
In reply to smudge:

Yours are in good enough nick to resole? Mine disintegrated, the rubber they come with is 'Xs Grip 2'. I'd stick (no pun intended) with the same stuff if it's an option.

OP smudge 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Yes, I've got a few pairs and all in decent nick bar the hole in the toe! I was wondering if anyone had resoled them in anything else and got better results. I don't normally resole shoes but I wanted to save a few quid.

chadogrady 02 Oct 2020
In reply to smudge:

I’ve got a pair of La Sportiva Cobra slippers that I had resolved with the unparalleled rubber, I think this is much sticker than the original rubber, which I think was Xs grip. 

Cobra_Head 02 Oct 2020
In reply to smudge:

C4

OP smudge 02 Oct 2020
In reply to chadogrady:

Where did you get them resoled? thanks

In reply to smudge:

As per the various other comments, Vibram XS Grip 2 seems to be the 'go to' option these days for all things friction. 

chadogrady 02 Oct 2020
In reply to smudge:

Feet first. 

dinodinosaur 02 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

That's interesting. I would usually go with the same rubber a shoe came with for resoling but as I couldn't get my blancos resoled in stealth I was recommended to try the unparallel RH rubber over the XS grip2. 

I don't know if it's just me but it feels like the stickiest rubber I've used and is still reasonably durable (obviously not so much as the harder compounds like XS edge). 

OP smudge 02 Oct 2020

Many thanks for the replies, I’m going to get a couple of pairs resoled. A pair in unparalleled and a pair in hf stealth, then compare it to the XS Grip. If I can get up one of my slab projects in them, it will be worth it. 

dinodinosaur 02 Oct 2020
In reply to smudge:

I'd be interested to hear how they all compare on the same shoe! 

Tigger 04 Oct 2020
In reply to chadogrady:

Chesterfield did a poor job with my last pair unfortunately. Lanberris is a good bet and shoedoc.eu in greece are brilliant (first time I've fully trusted a resole on thin, run-out stuff ).

Post edited at 10:40
 chadogrady 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

I’ve had 4 pairs resoled by them since the start of the year and they have all been spot on. When did you have yours done? 

Tigger 04 Oct 2020
In reply to chadogrady:

With who sorry, llanberis or shoedoc?

Llamberis was a cluple of years ago or more and shoe doc 3 or 4 pairs early this year. A mix of 5.10, sportiva and Scarpa.

dinodinosaur 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

What shoes were they and what was bad about your last resole from them?

In the past I've had shoes done by Llanberis (good job) but recently I've had them done by feet First Chesterfield (blancos and tenaya Tarifa) and I've been happy with the results. Here are some pics of the work they did in my blancos. 

chadogrady 04 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Sorry, I had those 4 pairs done with Feet First. 

Tigger 05 Oct 2020
In reply to dinodinosaur:

Dino? Did we bump into you at Desplomilandia in Feb by any chance? (I'm lanky and balding my GF the Blonde powerhouse)

My main complaints with Feet First were delamination and then they introduced some wierd handleing fee for collection from Awesome Walls drop-off point if i remember correctly (in addition to postage).

dinodinosaur 05 Oct 2020
In reply to Tigger:

Aye, that was me! How's it going your side? Ahh yes I've heard about delamination, but not experienced it myself. Another place that gets mixed reviews is Cheshire shoe repair, so I guess sometimes it's down to the individual doing the job. 

Tigger 05 Oct 2020
In reply to dinodinosaur:

Yea all good thanks, favouring slabs at the min though due to covid fitness. Yea a suppose llanberis and shoe doc are one person operations I think so results maybe a little more consistent.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...