UKC

NEWS: UKC/UKH/Rockfax Servers are Moving House

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH News 12 Oct 2020

We are pleased to announce that we are moving our server to one of UKFast's Carbon Neutral data centres in Manchester.

Read more
 remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Oct 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH News:

Cool! 

Super cool as baenz! 

Post edited at 17:04
 Phil Murray 12 Oct 2020

I approve - good luck with the migration! 

annak 12 Oct 2020

You only have one server? No redundancy?

remus Global Crag Moderator 12 Oct 2020
In reply to annak:

> You only have one server? No redundancy?

UKC has been very stable in the past. It's not obvious to me that adding more servers would necessarily help.

All went to plan. No major hiccups

Post edited at 00:24
 annak 13 Oct 2020
In reply to remus:

The list of things that can go wrong with a single physical server is close to infinite, so standard practice is to have at least two load balanced servers in different physical locations for any service or site that you really care about. Plus backup/restore. 

In reply to annak:

> You only have one server? No redundancy?

As an alternative to this Alan has split his soul into seven horcruxes and scattered them at key climbing areas across the nation. Hopefully this should offer a suitable back-up, although it didn't end up too well for Voldemort...

annak 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

As long as the horcruxes are loadbalanced to avoid any single-point-of-failure, that should be fine.

In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> As an alternative to this Alan has split his soul into seven horcruxes and scattered them at key climbing areas across the nation. Hopefully this should offer a suitable back-up, although it didn't end up too well for Voldemort...

The one half way up Il Duce (E5 6a) was a right pain to place.

Oops, probably shouldn’t have revealed that!

In reply to annak:

> As long as the horcruxes are loadbalanced to avoid any single-point-of-failure, that should be fine.

You'll be glad to hear that I have absolutely nothing to do with the technical side of the business btw

In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> The one half way up Il Duce (E5 6a) was a right pain to place.

I think I sold a piece of my soul just to get past the crux, then used whatever soul I had remaining to search out solid rock throughout the final few metres. All-in-all it's quite a spiritually intensive route, something that the feedback + comments within the logbook attest to!

In reply to annak:

We will either go this route or via Cloud servers in the future but that will be a big architecture change for us.

There's redundancy in the storage system and obviously regular backups. We could be back online in a day or so with minimal data loss if anything major happened in the current setup. As Remus said, the stack is very stable and we've always used hosting where you're paying a bit more to ensure you have good, well maintained, hardware and good tech support.

annak 13 Oct 2020
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

Sounds good. I have no idea how big your tech team is, but if you ever want a second opinion about infrastructure/cloud/aws/architecture/resilience I can always make time for a chat (that's what I do when I'm not climbing).

steveriley 13 Oct 2020

Good you've gone with the carbon neutral option, server farms are elephant in the energy consumption room

Darron 13 Oct 2020

I’ve spotted a few glitches:

Three pebble slab has been changed to E0 in the database.

The word “Peak” has been changed to “Peaks” in all forums in the past 6 months.

Please rectify as I am a bot and my circuits are starting to smoke.

peter allen 16 Oct 2020

Carbon Neutral is just greenwashing 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...