UKC

Help for a Film Project on Slate Quarries

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 19 Oct 2020

I am looking for help in finding some of the following for my slate film project:

1. Ex-Dinorwig Quarryman to interview about the quarries and their closure.

2. A historian with good working knowledge of the quarries from the enclosures act to the closure in 1969 to interview.

3. A contact for Pete Crew (this is a long shot but he did second ascent of Opening Gambit) to try and get an interview out of him.

4. Loan of a copy of rock climbers in Action in Snowdonia for the Gideon Photo.

5. Loan of a copy of Perry and grog’s green guidebook to photocopy for illustration purposes in the film.

6. Loan of a copy of the black slate guide (i need a hires shot of the cover)

7. Loan of a copy of the guide with Leo on the cover for a cover shot)

8. Any slides or photos from first ascents or early repeats of slate routes ( can scan these for you and give you the digital images in return)

I am sure there will be more requests, but just thought I’d fire these out for now. For some it would be best to send me an email through UKC.

GazzerM61 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Re 4 above) I can bring a copy of Rock Climber In Action to the Beacon this evening.

Call me on 07786 075682 if that works

Gary

OP Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 19 Oct 2020
In reply to GazzerM61:

Cheers Gary, thanks for the chat and see you later...

In reply to Mark Reeves:

I have Rock Climbers in Action and (I think) all of the guidebooks although I am not sure which one has "Leos photo". If it is the one previous to current, the cover may not be in a good state (it has come off) but the surface may be OK?

EarlyBird 19 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

I have a copy of the HB North Wales Slate guide with a shot of Leo Houlding on Bungle's Arete on the cover. Do you need the guide or just a shot of the cover?

Andy Hemsted 20 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Are you in touch with Peter Goulding, who did research and made interviews while writing his recent publication 'Slatehead'? It's a good read. especially for anyone who's climbing in the Llanberis quarries.

OP Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Hemsted:

I have read Slatehead, and one of the reasons I started on this film project is I found Peter's narrative and research has certainly been different to mine based on the first 5 interviews I have done.

However, I am still working on my research and will be for several months, as where I am finding the old legends are diverging from the common held narrative/belief I am trying to then interview others to confirm these new revelations. Sadly there are parts of Slatehead, which  appear to rely on one source and arguably there is a different story or at least opinion to be told in places.

This is why I am trying to interview on camera as many Slate activists as possible, as rather than me try to tell their story, I am trying to work on a principle where each person tells their little piece of a much larger story and then weave these together. It is very involved and time consuming but really great fun talking to these people.

I am also using it as an opportunity to update the Historical F.A. List, which I will publish online at some point. As I am aware that we didn't put one in the last guidebook, but in the back of my mind I always thought doing this online in some way would work better.

Post edited at 14:06
OP Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 22 Oct 2020
In reply to harold walmsley:

Hi Harold, Thanks. I have found a copy now.

However, at some point I would like to interview you for the more recent history. I'll find you on the book of faces, or email you through here. 

At the moment I am working forwards in time from the 70s!

Shani 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

> I have read Slatehead, and one of the reasons I started on this film project is I found Peter's narrative and research has certainly been different to mine based on the first 5 interviews I have done.

Indeed. Slatehead contains a couple of verifiable points of bullshit and at least one egregious mischaracterisation. (Remind me who's diary he was using as source material 🤔 - an in-joke from 1979). Slatehead is enjoyable reading nonetheless.

Any images you want from Slate of the Art, Mark?

I can try to get an interview with Pete Crew (I'm close friends with his step-son), but I've tried this a few years ago and Pete really wasn't interested in an interview - the fact a few of us accidentally trashed his lounge carpet in a night of drunken debauchery back in 1995 can't have helped (never try to clean rust from a wool carpet using soap - you end up with an orange wax skating rink). Still, time might have mellowed him - or maybe the orange wax flooring is now more appealing?

Drop me a line if interested. 

Post edited at 15:40
OP Mark Reeves Global Crag Moderator 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Shani:

Cheers I have emailed you.

Myfyr Tomos 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Mark Reeves:

Hi Mark. Have sent you an email.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...