UKC

Ladies size 2 hiking boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Tinyfeet 21 Oct 2020

Hi,

I have had my feet measured for hiking boots and my feet measure at a size 2. The shop didn’t have any suitable boots. 

I’m ideally looking for waterproof hiking boots with good ankle support and a good sole. I would like boots that aren’t too stiff and offer some flexibility.

I suggested a size 3 as that’s what I normally wear in shoes as I have quite wide feet. He insisted they were too big and were no use. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could get boots from? I’ve never done hillwalking before but my running trainers are a size 3 (I think) and this is fine as my feet can puff up with the heat and I don’t like them to feel too tight. 

I’ve seen on another thread on here that some people go up 1 or even 2 sizes in hiking boots. 

As I’ve never done hillwalking before I would like the boots to be properly fitted and I’m reluctant to order online for this reason. 

If anyone has any suggestions or can help at all I’d really appreciate it. 

Thanks

girlymonkey 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

I personally never wear boots unless I am wearing crampons. Are you running shoes for trail running? If so, they will probably do you fine. Your muscles support your ankles!

I can't comment on the size as I can't see your feet! When I did a horrible few months working in Tiso I did spend a lot of time convincing people that they need space for their feet to swell so not sizing too small. 

Tinyfeet 21 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Hi, Thanks for your reply

I need to get proper walking boots as I’m training for a trek (hopefully) next year. 

My running trainers are just a pair of Brooks and they wouldn’t be suitable as I just run on pavements. 

I’m going to go to a different outdoor shop and see what they say. I know my feet do puff up and I would need to allow room for socks. I hope a 3 will be OK, then again I’m not a boot expert

girlymonkey 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

I would trek in running shoes too. They are so much comfier and protect your ankles better! Boots discourage your ankle muscles from working as much, so they get weaker. Trail shoes give you much better feel on the trail and keep your ankles working well. I trip and stumble all the time in boots, not in trail shoes. 

Where are you going trekking? 

marsbar 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

I'm size 4 and I sometimes get children's shoes or boots.  A shop with children's hiking boots is probably your best bet.

As for size, it depends so much on the manufacturer.  But I wouldn't suggest going up a size generally, boots are made to fit with thick socks.  If they are too big you will get blisters no matter how long you wear them.  They need to be well fitting. 

I suggest you try on boots towards the end of a day when your feet will be biggest. Then go for boots that feel snug with the socks you will wear.  

Tinyfeet 21 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

We have a kit list so going to stick with the advice given but thank you

Hopefully going to The Rockies. I want to get started with my training and breaking in my boots but need to find a pair first!

Tinyfeet 21 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

Ok, that would explain why he was insistent a size 3 would be too big. 

They didn’t have much choice in a size 2 but the pair I tried were too tight and sore on my toes. That was with thin socks on. Even if they had fitted they wouldn’t have been suitable anyway as there wasn’t a good enough sole or support. 

I’m going to try some other outdoor shops and see what they say. 

marsbar 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

If you give a vague location  people might be able to recommend shops. 

girlymonkey 21 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

Have fun in the Rockies! That will be fab!

Don't be too stuck on the number on the footwear, go with feel. Different brands size a bit differently (just like with any high street clothing and footwear). If you are an unusual size, internet ping pong is sometimes the only way to go. Try them on later in the day and wear them around the house for a couple of hours. Give it time for your feet to really swell and see if there are pressure points etc. Go up and down stairs to check for heel lift and general foot sliding. Even if you buy them in a shop and they tell you they are the right ones, still do this at home! No one except you can say that they are the best fit.

Tinyfeet 21 Oct 2020
In reply to marsbar:

North East Scotland 

Tinyfeet 21 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

It will be fab if i can get sorted with some boots! 😂 Would really like to get started on my training as I’m so unfit.

I’ve been advised to try them around the house so will definitely do that. Unfortunately I don’t have any stairs. 

Andy Gamisou 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

My wife has same problem (size 1.5 rock shoes, 2/2.5 everything else).  I don't understand why UK outdoor shops are so terrible at stocking shoes in these sizes (in our experience, anyway); climbers are probably a bit smaller on average, and we've been able to get these easily in other European countries, including ones "off the beaten" track from a hiking/climbing point of view, such as Cyprus.  A couple of UK stores even insisted "no one makes rock shoes under size 3" , even though we knew that to be rubbish.

​​​​​​Anyway, I tend to get such things online from https://www.bergfreunde.eu now.  If they don't have what you want in adult hiking, then they have a great selection of youth's boots.  They've also always been good at answering queries regarding size and fit, and we've not yet had to send anything back.  Shame a UK company can't compete in selection and service, but I guess there's only around 70 million people in the UK, so it's not worth their time...

[Edit] Forgot to mention, their UK version is: https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk

Post edited at 06:34
 kathrync 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

My feet measure at 2.5.  My road running and trail running shoes are size 3, my light summer boots are size 4 and my winter boots are size 5. 

Generally, there is nothing wrong with having a bit of extra space around the toe, as long as your heel doesn't move around (that will cause rubbing). I generally don't have a problem with this as my feet are wide with a high instep, so my heel usually stays put. I guess it could be more difficult to find a fit if your feet are narrow or low volume. Trying on lots of options to find a last that works for you, experimenting with different lacing systems and sock combinations, and using volume reducing insoles if required can also help. Don't get too hung up on the theoretical size of the boot - different brands (and sometimes different lasts from the same brand) come up at slightly different sizes. How they feel is more important.

As others have said, try on boots at the end of the day, or after walking around for a couple of hours so your feet are larger.  Take the socks you are intending to wear with the boots with you. Most shops will have a slope or a rough area you can walk around on.  Stand facing uphill, lift your heels and check that the boots come with your feet rather than your feet moving inside the boot.  Stand facing downhill and check that your feet don't slide forwards.  If the boot stays put in both orientations it should be ok.  Wear them round the house as much as you can to confirm that before you take them out.

Post edited at 10:58
 kathrync 22 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> I would trek in running shoes too. They are so much comfier and protect your ankles better!

I think this is a personal choice. I find trekking in trail shoes to be miserable and I much prefer a light boot.

kathrync 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

>  A couple of UK stores even insisted "no one makes rock shoes under size 3" , even though we knew that to be rubbish.

Ha, I have made UK stores call their distributor in front of me on more than one occasion

Prof. Outdoors 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

Wish you well on your training and trek.

Personally I wear Innov8 running shoes or Salewa Moutain Trainers which are shoes. I am, however, aware that this would not sut everone.

Therefore I would recommend looking at Altberg shoes website.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/boot-fitting

Their boots are very well made. Made in England if you don't mind supporting the Auld Enemy. Couple of friends have them and one has their motorcycle boots which also come highly recommended.

They will do boot fitting and also do modifications at their factory. They are based in Richmond Yorkshire but have stockists in Scotland.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/scotland

Would be much better to try on the boots.

On their website the sizes start at size 3 so may not be of any use but could be worth contacting them to discuss sizing and I think they even used to do custom boots.

Hope it all goes well.

Post edited at 12:10
Tinyfeet 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Hi,

I have been in touch with Altberg and their boots start in a size 3. The advisor said that could be fine with a thick sock but it’s obviously difficult to say without trying the boots. 

I’m definitely going to try a different outdoor shop and hopefully I’ll have a more positive experience. I only tried on a couple of pairs in the shop and was told they were no good and sent on my way. 

Tinyfeet 22 Oct 2020
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks for this.  
I tried a size 3 very briefly in the shop and there was more room around the toe but they weren’t as tight on my feet. This was just with a thin sock on. I didn’t even get the boot laced up and was told they were too big and that they had nothing suitable for me.  

I’ll hopefully have more luck at a different shop and can get something to fit otherwise worst case scenario is I don’t go trekking 😱

Tinyfeet 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Andy Gamisou:

Thank you, I have emailed Alpine Trek and waiting to hear back from them. 

I tried a size 2 children’s boot in the shop and was told it ‘fitted’ but it was sore and too tight on my foot, especially on my toes. That was with a thin sock on and on my slightly smaller foot. 

Hopefully I can find something suitable as I need to start training ASAP. Worst case scenario is not going on the trek which I would be devastated about. 

james.slater 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Tinyfeet:

My wife has small feet (size 3 approximately) and for winter (and almost any walk that isnt dry underfoot now!) she wears a pair of La Sportiva Trango, size 3, and gets on very well with them. They are B2 rated for crampons and I always think she will be uncomfortable with the stiffness of the sole, but she never seems to have a problem.

Cant give much more specific advice than that, but small sized boots do exist, you just have to try very hard to find them!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...