UKC

Ropelength for Leonidio?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Postmanpat 22 Oct 2020

We're off to sunny Greece !(hopefully) Will a 70m rope suffice for Leonidio (up to 6b) or need we lug around an 80m?

n-stacey 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Hi

a 70 will be fine.

Mowglee 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Yeah 70m will be fine. The super long routes tend to be harder extensions above the first lower offs. You can always rethread on the way down if you do find something >35m.

OP Postmanpat 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Thanks folks. 70m it is !

In reply to Postmanpat:

But - I took a 70 and wished I had an 80. My mate had a 100 which was very useful at places like Jupiter. The grades are generally soft, so you might find you can do some low 7s and then the 80 will be your friend. The cheap Decathlon ropes are ideal for this. 

dan gibson 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

> But - I took a 70 and wished I had an 80. My mate had a 100 which was very useful at places like Jupiter. The grades are generally soft, so you might find you can do some low 7s and then the 80 will be your friend. The cheap Decathlon ropes are ideal for this. 

Or support a UK based independent climbing shop to buy your 80 metre rope. 

heleno 22 Oct 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

Another vote for 80m.  There are some great 40m routes that it would be a shame to miss out on.

Have a great trip! 

In reply to Postmanpat:

If you want to do the 40m routes there then you will need an 80m rope! There are some very good 40m 6b routes there, enjoy.

Post edited at 21:04
OP Postmanpat 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Christheclimber:

> If you want to do the 40m routes there then you will need an 80m rope! There are some very good 40m 6b routes there, enjoy.

Yes, but if you can't get hold of a current guidebook you don't know that so you go on UKC to ask.

Thanks for your input. I shall!

Post edited at 08:12
 George_Surf 23 Oct 2020
In reply to Postmanpat:

I’d go for an 80 if you can. Loads of shops were offloading the Mammut ones for about £1/meter. I think I might even have paid less than £80 for an 80! The decathlon ones aren’t cheap anymore. I got the 100m one when it was <£1/M but not they’re more like £130+ now. A 70 will get you up the majority of routes though, 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...