UKC

COMPETITION: WINNER - Win a pair of Boreal Ace climbing shoes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Nov 2020

Your chance to win a pair of Boreal Ace rock shoes.

Read more
 full stottie 16 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Video won't play for me.

In fact, video won't even put in an appearance for me.

simoninger 17 Nov 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

Wonder why Boreal chose to use a video of a problem where the feet are a bit irrelevant, or at least not exactly demonstrating what the boot can do.

In reply to simoninger:

One of the things that the Ace is particularly good at is cracks, and this is a crack - albeit a very steep/overhanging one! I would also argue (and I'm sure Andi would too) that the feet are indeed relevant, not least because I wouldn't fancy my chances at campussing through it...

When it comes to why the Ace are particularly good at this sort of thing, it all comes down to their supportive, full-length midsole, which means that rather than fold in two like a softer shoe might, it actually gives something back.

Also, I suspect they included it because it's a bit of a laugh. Just fun to see these things getting done, horrific though they might be!

deepsoup 17 Nov 2020
In reply to full stottie:

> Video won't play for me.
> In fact, video won't even put in an appearance for me.

The video is on Facebook.  Your browser is probably hiding it to protect your privacy - mine has a little 'error' box with a message saying "This video is blocked because you have disabled Social Media cookies"

You can see the video here (open it in a separate browser window/tab/private window/whatever):
https://www.facebook.com/Boreal.official/videos/293633278152653/

simoninger 17 Nov 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Fair enough, it is a bit of a laugh. I will naughtily quote your own review back at you though, Rob

"The vast majority of climbers never venture onto such steep ground either, as most - myself included - tend to operate in the angles between slab and wall. It is for these people that the Ace is designed, "

full stottie 17 Nov 2020
In reply to deepsoup:

> The video is on Facebook.  Your browser is probably hiding it to protect your privacy - mine has a little 'error' box with a message saying "This video is blocked because you have disabled Social Media cookies"

> You can see the video here (open it in a separate browser window/tab/private window/whatever):https://www.facebook.com/Boreal.official/videos/293633278152653/

Thank you!

In reply to simoninger:

Ha, that's fantastic - guilty as charged!!

It would suffice to say that offwidth roof cracks hadn't been at the forefront of my mind whilst writing that particular line, as that is the one caveat I could have added in terms of their suitability on overhanging rock.

Either way, your post has made my day

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...