UKC

Back to the Wall?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomsan91 23 Nov 2020

Currently on week 36 of WFH, the BBC seems to suggest gyms and such will be back open from next week. With Depot closing in Leeds last month things got pretty isolating with my partner working on shifts, will I be back to a lunch time climb next week or am I dreaming too big?

Qwerty2019 23 Nov 2020
In reply to tomsan91:

It said non essential shops and gyms to open from 2/12/20.  I take it from that all walls back open again in England.  They are talking about stricter Tier systems though so not sure what this will entail

Iamgregp 23 Nov 2020
In reply to tomsan91:

Yeah I think we'll be back in business December 2nd.  Hopefully forever this time?

Neil Williams 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

The leaks seem to suggest that pubs will be closed in tier 3, and in tier 2 it will be "only with a substantial meal", i.e. shifting the pub thing down a tier.

I would also be unsurprised to see the rule of 6 indoors not allowed in any tier.

OP tomsan91 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Qwerty2019:

I think the suggestion is Leeds would go into tier 3 after the 2nd which leaves me with some anxiety as this maybe a "Tougher version" of what was on the table last month. I guess all will become clear this afternoon, fingers crossed.

Lord_ash2000 23 Nov 2020
In reply to tomsan91:

Sounds like walls will open up to me. 

The only thing which might change that is if higher tier regional lockdowns means some walls in some areas may have to stay shut. Who knows. 

Robert Durran 23 Nov 2020

Does anybody know of any suspected or confirmed virus transmission at a wall or of anyone having to self isolate as a result of a contact at a wall?

Post edited at 15:36
 neilh 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes.One owner of a wall.

There was also talk of the staff at another wall being in quarantine

Sorry to disappoint you if you were thinking it was a zero sum game.

In reply to neilh:

So that's more workplace transmission than climbing transmission?

Robert Durran 23 Nov 2020
In reply to neilh:

> Yes.One owner of a wall.

> There was also talk of the staff at another wall being in quarantine

And this was due to transmission at the wall?

> Sorry to disappoint you if you were thinking it was a zero sum game.

Sorry, not sure what you mean by that.

Cobra_Head 23 Nov 2020
In reply to tomsan91:

There's a lot more cases around us at the end of LD2 than there was at the end of LD1, for which I knew no one with covid symptoms, while this time I know a few.

So I might self regulate and stay away, our local wall was a bit crap at keeping distance and space.

Cobra_Head 23 Nov 2020

> Does anybody know of any suspected or confirmed virus transmission at a wall or of anyone having to self isolate as a result of a contact at a wall?

That's a pretty big ask, considering test and trace is such a shambolic mess. How would you prove it came from a wall?

neilh 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Neil Williams:

The workplace being a climbing wall......

if anybody thinks that a climbing wall environment means there is a zero probability of you catching COVID there , I would suggest they need a rethink.

And in Italy at climbing walls you have to wear a mask both when belaying and climbing or bouldering amongst other measures.

let us look on the bright side though .......we can go next week. 

In reply to neilh:

> The workplace being a climbing wall......

Yes, but in the context of it being a shop that happens to sell climbing, not in the context of anything specific to climbing walls that means that climbing walls should be open but a non-essential shop shouldn't or vice versa.

> if anybody thinks that a climbing wall environment means there is a zero probability of you catching COVID there , I would suggest they need a rethink.

The only place where there's effectively zero probability of catching COVID is by staying at home and leaving anything that is delivered for a few days before going near it.

> And in Italy at climbing walls you have to wear a mask both when belaying and climbing or bouldering amongst other measures.

The effect of masks is fairly negligible if you're 2m+ away from others, so I think that's neither here nor there, to be honest.  Though from what I'm seeing (mostly on FB, I'll admit) a lot of people are here anyway.

Post edited at 19:34
 Misha 24 Nov 2020
In reply to tomsan91:

I think they probably shouldn't be open but at the same time I'm glad they will be reopening and I'll go, taking various precautions (above all, going at quiet times and seeking out quiet corners).

Qwerty2019 24 Nov 2020
In reply to tomsan91:

Counting the days to go back.  Went every opportunity when they were open.  Felt totally safe 90% of the time.  Only time we felt it was pushing it was when things got busy so we just packed up and left. 

If corona can take a break over the next few weeks so people can visit family, drink and eat themselves silly then I haven’t any issue with going climbing.  

Solsbury 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Robert Durran: I had a warning via the Covid app. The only place I went that day was a wall, I did travel by train but very short journey on very empty train.

It told me I needed to self isolate for seven days which was initially confusing but then realised there must have been a delay in the person getting a test.

My phone had been in the locker the whole time there, I never developed any symptoms.

Make of this what you will but I 'assume' the alert was triggered whilst at the wall.

caver 24 Nov 2020
In reply to Solsbury:

Possibly your phone was close to their phone in an adjacent locker for the required time. 

Solsbury 24 Nov 2020
In reply to caver: My thoughts exactly.

SDM 25 Nov 2020

I was not asked to self isolate but I received two of the lower risk exposure notifications from the app. I had only downloaded the app a week earlier and the only times I had left the house since downloading it were driving to the wall 3 times and driving to my bubble's house.

Nobody at my bubble's house has the app.

So the notifications either came from the wall or they came when driving my car or when I was in my home alone.

With our lack of upstream tracing and with our ineffective downstream tracing, we don't know for sure where most of the transmission has occurred. 

With the prevalence in the population during the autumn and with everything we know about transmission rates and asymptomatic spread, it seems highly unlikely that transmission hasn't occurred at walls.

Neil Williams 25 Nov 2020
In reply to SDM:

Those weren't intentional and have now been turned off.  They could have come from literally anyone who even momentarily picked up your Bluetooth signal - potentially even someone walking past your house, or in an adjacent car at traffic lights, or even someone at the wall you got nowhere near but you put your phone in the locker next to theirs.  They can be ignored completely if you got any.

Post edited at 13:28

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...