UKC

B3 boots with a wide toe-box

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockwing 23 Nov 2020

Any recommendations for a B3 boot with a bigger than average toe box?

I've tried Sportiva has Scarpa Jorasse in the past and ourgrown them sideways, plus tried LS Nepal Extremes and they're also a bit slim for me. Currently wearing some Kayland Cross B2s; pretty keen on Kaylands & Dolomites, plus I understand Mammut come up a bit wider.

Brian Pollock 23 Nov 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I've recently had issues trying to find boots with a wide toe box. I initially tried the new Scarpa Mont Blanc Pros, La Sportiva Tower Extreme and La Sportiva Ice Cube. The Sportiva boots were the narrowest, Ice Cubes very narrow and Tower more roomy. The Scarpa boots were not dissimilar to the tower for me but (as mentioned in the UKC review) they taper a fair bit from the big toe to the little toe. I ultimately found them too narrow in the forefoot, crushing my little toe.

I finally found a good deal (£250 or so) on Mammut Norwand High Knit GTX boots which are noticeably wider in the forefoot and generally chunkier looking than the above. They still seem to fit snugly around the heel and overall feel very robust and comfortable. I haven't had a chance to use them outdoors yet so this is just my initial thoughts.

I also tried PHD Pro Mountaineer socks which are much thinner than my usual socks. This has definitely given me more room to play with in the toebox.

LG-Mark 23 Nov 2020
In reply to rockwing:

I have very wide feet and I'm happy with my Salewa Vultur Verticals.. They are perhaps not as good for rock climbing as something like a LS Nepal, but  my B2 Salewa's (Condors) are awesome for that.

In reply to rockwing:

As someone with wide (but not crazy wide) feet I've always struggled to fit boots, even winter boots that you might expect to have a bit more toe room. It's down to the shape of your feet as well as their width. I've found that a more asymmetric front end can feel tight irrespective of the overall width because the outer curve of the toe is just too slanted for me. We're all different and for every individual some lasts will work better than others, meaning that some models from a given brand could be better than others. So it's not just a case of one brand always being narrower and another wider, that's too general. Cue a lengthy bout of trying them all on in the shops.

That said, I have historically tended to find the more technical models from Scarpa and La Sportiva either a bit narrow or a bit curved at the front end for an ideal fit on me. I've also got a pair of the new Dolomite Miage Peak here on review, and I would call them narrow too - in fact, too tight for me, so Toby will be trying them (bad luck for me - they look fantastic). In recent years I've personally got on best with B3 boots from Salewa and Mammut. You could also look at Hanwag (though I've not always found them as wide as their Germanic origin might lead one to assume).

Where the boots are slightly less climb-oriented, at the B2 level, front end comfort can often be better in my experience, because the overall shape tends to be less curvy so you get a bit more leeway for the toes. A current example would be the new Scarpa Manta Tech, which I have on review now and am finding really comfy.

If your feet are a smaller size you may 'get away' with a B2 for all your climbing needs - depending on what you're doing in them of course, and where. For massive feet like mine the leverage on the sole makes B2s too bendy for sustained front pointing, so I generally seem to end up drawing a line at grade II.

Martin Bennett 23 Nov 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Since you already like the brand I'd see what Kayland are doing nowadays. Since abandoning my Asolo plastic doubles I've bought and sold half a dozen pairs - La Sportiva Nepal Evo, Ice Evo, something else Evo, Scarpa Freney then Jorasses, a Boreal even, but when I got my Kayland Super Ice I knew the search was over - Holy Grail of B3 boots they are! Not only warm with primaloft insulation and very comfortable but also most stylish. Good luck.

In reply to rockwing:

Went through this recently looking for a B2 boot. I've got a relatively low volume foot with wide forefoot. Tried most of the usual suspects I could get my hands on. I went for the Mammut Magic in the end. Salewa boots also fitted well.

Mammut Magic Guide and Salewa Vultur would be the ones to try if you want fully rigid.

The newer range of Mammut boots didn't seem anyway near as wide. Didn't try the Norwand though. Magic was still available a few months ago if you looked around.

ScraggyGoat 23 Nov 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Hanwag do some models with a wide/ bunion fit.

I have/had a pair of Hanwag Sirius II GTX in UK 9.5 Eur 44 which are a wide fit, and were very good for me at the front.

They are on the softer end of B3 (but have crampon welts front and back), I tried them a handful of times at most, but found I had too much heel-lift. For sale if anyones interested.

I replaced them with some Asolo's, but couldn't tell you the model, brought second hand, and now discontinued.  I tried Salewa, which I use for some summer, for winter the Vulturs, were good at the front, but for me suffered heel lift.

Post edited at 14:03
1philjones1 23 Nov 2020
In reply to LG-Mark:

I second the Salewa Vultur verticals for wide feet. Great for ice/steep snow and they walk pretty well too.

In reply to 1philjones1:

Here's our review of the Vultur Vertical - think it's fair to say I really rate them:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/footwear/mountain_boots/salewa_vultur_verti... 

In reply to rockwing:

3rd vote for the Salewa Vultur Vertical.

Great wide toe box. Mad about Mountains have them in stock if you leave in that area!

In reply to rockwing:

I have wide forefoot/toes and suffered with many boots with a last that does not suit my feet.

I'd recommend Scarpa Manta, Zamberlan Expert Pro, boots in the Mammut range,  and, somewhat unexpectedly, the new Phantom Techs.

TechnoJim 23 Nov 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Another vote for Mammut. I've got feet like fins and tried on all the usual suspects before finding the Magic Guide High. On offer at Braemar Mountain Sports right now, limited sizes though.

Going up a size in Scarpas also worked reasonably well for me, but I've got chicken ankles so had to horse the lacing up pretty hard and use insoles/big socks to make it take it.

Jim

Removed User 23 Nov 2020
In reply to rockwing:

Garmont fill the wide end of the market.

echo34 21 Dec 2020
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

What are the Vultur like for walking in? Do they have a good rocker? Work okay with G12?

LG-Mark 22 Dec 2020
In reply to echo34:

> What are the Vultur like for walking in? Do they have a good rocker? Work okay with G12?

I don't find any issues walking in mine, walked across many glaciers and around Lakes/Wales/Scotland.

As for crampon fit - My size 43s fit the curve of my G12s and G14s perfectly, peachy fit!

In reply to echo34:

Hi,

Sorry just saw this, No different to any other B3, Salewa do have a slight cut out on the back of the ankle cuff (look at a photo the way I just described it sounds awful) that I think helps a more natural gait rather the ski boot walk of other b3s!

I wear a pair of Rambos with mine as I'm heavy and like the stiffest thing I can get on them!!!

Post edited at 20:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...