UKC

New costa blanca guide?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

I'm hoping to have an extended climbing trip to the Costa Blanca in the New Year. I believe there has been a great deal of development since the last Rockfax. So I was wondering where I might get info/topos on new routes and crags? Any links would be much appreciated. 

I also heard a rumour about a possible new Spanish guidebook. Just a rumour? or does anyone have details

Thanks

Mick Ward 02 Dec 2020
In reply to colin struthers:

There was supposed to be a new Spanish guide, by Roberto, coming out last month. Might be a matter of days? Will post here if I find out more.

Mick

Mark Eddy 02 Dec 2020

Levante south and north came out last year: https://www.libreriadesnivel.com/libros/levante-climbs-south/0200006169/

I've also heard another comprehensive guide has been or is due to be published, but don't know any more than that.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Mick Ward:

I went and asked in the Calpe bookstore yesterday about the new Spanish book. Using the ISBN and more general searches he couldn’t find any reference to it anywhere,

Chris

spenser 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Andy Hedgecock shared a photo of a printed draft of a "New" Costa Blanca guide on Facebook a few weeks ago, this was the text:

The countdown has begun. After more than two and a half years of hard work of compilation, creation and layout, it is time to announce that the new Costa Blanca climbing guide, Costa Blanca Climbs, will be available to the public before the end of this November. There have been dozens of weeks in which there have been countless hours in the car, hundreds of phone calls and whatsapps, thousands of photographs of walls and climbers and an arduous and satisfactory research work on the history of our beloved climbing schools. As a result of all this, you will soon be able to enjoy this new guide that includes 9 regions of Alicante and Valencia with 58 climbing schools and more than 3,400 routes of all grades, styles and inclinations.

It should be noted that the vast majority of the main protagonists of each area have directly intervened in the preparation of this work, so the quality of the information can hardly be improved. Thank you in advance for the great collaboration of all these equippers and climbers who, apart from having created the vertical paradise that make up all the sectors of the Costa Blanca, have made this book possible. To all of them THANK YOU !!! PS: Get ready for the biggest guide billet you have ever seen. For anyone who is interested in reserving a 35 mm wide gap in your shelf. Knowledge does not take place but more than 650 pages does.

clipstick 02 Dec 2020

Hi Colin,

Was wondering how you're planning to get there. I know by plane now requires a negative covid test up to 72 hours before arriving at the Spanish airport. I don't think this is the case by car. Are you going through France? Asking because I'm currently trying to figure out my one way travel to Spain!

Cheers

Post edited at 09:17
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Dec 2020
In reply to spenser:

Yes, that was the information I took to the bookshop, he couldn't find any reference to it.

Chris

Adam Lincoln 02 Dec 2020
In reply to clipstick:

> Hi Colin,

> Was wondering how you're planning to get there. I know by plane now requires a negative covid test up to 72 hours before arriving at the Spanish airport. I don't think this is the case by car. Are you going through France? Asking because I'm currently trying to figure out my one way travel to Spain!

> Cheers

From what i am led to believe you need the test for when you exit the uk not arrival in Spain. You also will still need one for the ferry. If you went through France you would still need a test leaving the UK. 

In reply to clipstick:

Yes, I'm planning on driving.

clipstick 02 Dec 2020
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

> You also will still need one for the ferry. If you went through France you would still need a test leaving the UK. 

I don't think this is the case. Looks like you just need to confirm that you don't have any symptoms and haven't been in contact with anyone with symptoms. 

https://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/coming-to-france/coronavirus-advice-for-f...

Adam Lincoln 02 Dec 2020
In reply to clipstick:

> I don't think this is the case. Looks like you just need to confirm that you don't have any symptoms and haven't been in contact with anyone with symptoms. 

Hmmm yet again more confusion. I was/still am almost sure you need a negative covid test. Happy to be proved wrong though!

Adam Lincoln 02 Dec 2020

You do need a negative test. Kind of. 

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Says you 'may' need to produce one, and if you dont have one 'may' be asked to take one on arrival. 

Post edited at 11:20
 Jonathan Emett 02 Dec 2020

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=111132354158547&id=10178969...

La gruta (la Lucia) said they expect it end of this week.

Lesdavmor 02 Dec 2020

Hi Chris

Glad to hear you are around.

Do you have any info on 2 new ?routes which cross Lara on Toix Placa

Les M. Orba

Ian Parsons 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Jonathan Emett:

> La gruta (la Lucia)

La Nucia?

Mick Ward 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Ian Parsons:

Yes.

Mick

Sam Mayfield 03 Dec 2020

Morning everyone from a lovely sunny Costa Blanca. 

We will be selling here at Orange House Finestrat as soon as printed which I think is this week.

Will post again when I have them in the hand physically.

Regarding flying over, u need 72hr test which most chemists are doing. I'm hoping Spain changes that soon and allows instant tests that airports Rw now rolling out.

Driving over no test needed just completed travel docs as peeps have linked above.

Soooooo excited about a busy end to this climbing season. Funny not having you lot around. 

Sam Orange xx

Adam Lincoln 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Sam Mayfield:

> Driving over no test needed just completed travel docs as peeps have linked above.

Any idea if that includes ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao?

jezb1 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Adam Lincoln:

You need a test if entering Spain by sea or air.

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Lesdavmor:

> Do you have any info on 2 new ?routes which cross Lara on Toix Placa

Hi there,

no, I am not aware of those, I will have a look,

Chris

Lesdavmor 03 Dec 2020

Thanks. The bolts are shiny. Just not sure where they lead to

StefanB 03 Dec 2020
In reply to spenser:

Can you actually get in as a tourist right now? The Valencia region (which includes the Costa Blanca) is still under perimeter lockdown for anything other than returning to your residence or essential work. I needed to travel from Valencia to Madrid and back yesterday and needed a special permit which was carefully checked at a police checkpoint. 

Hopefully, this will end soon, but these restrictions are currently still in place. 

Adam Lincoln 03 Dec 2020
In reply to jezb1:

> You need a test if entering Spain by sea or air.

Seems people tend to think differently. I agree with you though and from what ive read it seems going without would be foolish.

Steve Woollard 03 Dec 2020
In reply to StefanB:

> Can you actually get in as a tourist right now? The Valencia region (which includes the Costa Blanca) is still under perimeter lockdown for anything other than returning to your residence or essential work. I needed to travel from Valencia to Madrid and back yesterday and needed a special permit which was carefully checked at a police checkpoint. 

> Hopefully, this will end soon, but these restrictions are currently still in place. 

You can fly into Valencia region, but you can't drive to other regions, e.g. Murcia

StefanB 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Steve Woollard:

That's really weird. I am not saying it's not true, it's just different from the rules we locals have to comply with. 

I was fine to leave Valencia for Madrid yesterday, because Madrid does not have a perimeter lock-down in place, but I had to pass a checkpoint and provide a permit when re-entering Valencia on my way back.

But then again, a lot of the rules don't seem to make too much sense.

Steve Woollard 03 Dec 2020
In reply to StefanB:

I flew into Alicant recently no problem

According to N332 I thought all regions were closed but I guess it depends on how tightly they're enforce

> I also heard a rumour about a possible new Spanish guidebook. Just a rumour? or does anyone have details

... here you go... was published last week... I guess it will be readily available in Spain by now...

https://www.cordee.co.uk/Costa-Blanca-Climbs-det-0-0-0-17112.html?search=co...

Sam Mayfield 03 Dec 2020
In reply to jezb1:

Do you have a link for test needed if driving, be interesting to know. I had a couple arrive yesterday came down from Italy. 

No test taken or asked for at any stage. 

Sam 

jezb1 03 Dec 2020
In reply to StefanB:

> I was fine to leave Valencia for Madrid yesterday, because Madrid does not have a perimeter lock-down in place, but I had to pass a checkpoint and provide a permit when re-entering Valencia on my way back.

> But then again, a lot of the rules don't seem to make too much sense.

Was that Valencia the City or region?

StefanB 03 Dec 2020
In reply to jezb1:

> Was that Valencia the City or region?

Region. 

jezb1 03 Dec 2020
In reply to StefanB:

Thanks!

StefanB 03 Dec 2020
In reply to Steve Woollard:

> I flew into Alicant recently no problem

How recent is recent? We have locked down very late, so might have been before that.

> According to N332 I thought all regions were closed but I guess it depends on how tightly they're enforce

I just looked it up. Apparently, Madrid region is currently open as a whole, although some high-risk areas are locked down. It seems it will start perimetrical lockdown tomorrow for 10 days, because of an upcoming holiday (a couple of bank holidays that make for a week of convenient travel to the coast).

Lesdavmor 03 Dec 2020
In reply to StefanB:

I am not sure if this is of much help, but the current position is that it is not normally permitted to travel outside the " Comunitat Valenciana" It is a rather large part of Spain and from the point of view of climbers, it is not too onerous a restriction.

Sam Mayfield 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Lesdavmor:

It really doesnt feel like an inconvenience at all. As you said a massive area.

They have limited borders movement for 3 days only over xmas period and increased group sizes to mix to 10.

You can move through borders for a few reasons if you have the right paperwork completed.

Sam Orange 

Sam Mayfield 04 Dec 2020

Hi Colin, we are collecting a box of the guidebooks to sell in an hr. Can reserves ones here for people to collect.

Sam Orange House 

Mick B 16 Dec 2020

Just got my copy of the new book today. 
Absolutely superb. 
650 pages!!

Very compressive.  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...