UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Beal TRACT UP is a compact micro rope clamp

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 02 Dec 2020
Tract Up

The Beal TRACT UP is a compact micro rope clamp.

Read more
 pec 02 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Does it have potential for top rope soloing, "shunting"?

PhilMW 03 Dec 2020
In reply to pec:

I was wondering the same thing, but as a back up to the shunt rather than instead of.

In reply to pec:

People do use devices similar to this, like the CT rollnlock. 4kN breaking strain seems a little too close for comfort to me though...

PhilMW 03 Dec 2020
In reply to pancakeandchips:

very true however I'm not sure a static fall would ever generate that kind of impact force.

https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Sport/Forces-at-work-in-a-real-fall

You'd have to fall from a long way onto it to do any damage.

In reply to PhilMW:

Some people use LSK semi static rope for shunting which isn't covered by that link.

You're right that it would probably be ok, it's just that I'm coming from an industrial climbing and mr background where safety factors are much higher.

PaulJepson 03 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Looks like it would be great to carry alongside a prussik if you were using often or had the cash to spaff. 

johnlc 03 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Does anybody know, is there any sort of bearing system where the rope goes round the circular bit?  Or does the rope just rub against it?  Hope I am making sense here.  I am wondering about one for crevasse rescue but obviously some sort of wheel with bearings would be better than pulling a loaded rope around a static point.

PhilMW 03 Dec 2020
In reply to johnlc:

The heat generation from that kind of action would be quite alot also if it was a static ring.

PhilMW 03 Dec 2020

Fair point. You can never be too safe.

oldie 03 Dec 2020

> People do use devices similar to this, like the CT rollnlock. 4kN breaking strain seems a little too close for comfort to me though... <

The Beal product seems a lot cheaper than the Rollnlok. Annoying as I've recently bought the latter.

Post edited at 16:50
Removed User 05 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Suprised Kong aren't suing! Quack Quack

George Frisby 07 Dec 2020

Same as petzl micro traxion:

- Working load as progress capture pulley: 2.5 kN

- Breaking strength as progress capture pulley: 4 kN

Luke01 07 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

Anybody know the advantages of this kind of device over a micro traxion type device? Seems like it's no lighter (spok is 60g) and you lose the advantage of the built in pulley. 

phizz4 14 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Gear:

The microtraxion has, I believe, spikes on the cam to grip the rope, while this appears to have ridges, which should be much kinder to the rope.

deepsoup 15 Dec 2020
In reply to phizz4:

> .. while this appears to have ridges, which should be much kinder to the rope.

But then again under some circumstances the exact opposite might also be the case. Like the Mk1 -vs- Mk2 Wild Country Ropeman.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...