UKC

REVIEW: PETZL IKO CORE - gimmick or innovation?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 08 Dec 2020

IKO CORE montage

With its unique fit, the IKO CORE is a genuinely different and innovative headtorch. But whether it's much better than a more conventional model depends what you want it for, says Rob Greenwood. If you're climbing, look elsewhere; but if comfort, balance and a lack of sweat are your priorities then look no further...

Read more

PPP 08 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Would it be crazy to call this headtorch a PR move? 

You get this with Apple Mac Pro wheels for £699, Mammut Nordwand jacket+trousers for £1100, hardshell/softshell mix jackets and similar. They catch your eye, make you look at it and think of the brand as either innovative or luxury. In this case, Petzl is definitely innovative and whenever you see it, makes you think of the brand. 

Never had it myself and quite content with Actik Core, just been wondering what it's for since day 1.

In reply to PPP:

> Would it be crazy to call this headtorch a PR move? 

I'd say it has more to it than that, as it does - at least in terms of feel - have a distinct benefit, which I can see being transferred and filtered into the rest of the range at some point. Whether or not this happens remains to be seen, but that'd be my guess. If not, I'd still argue that it's an attempt to push things forward in terms of design - hence isn't just PR (however it inadvertently achieves that as a byproduct).

afx22 09 Dec 2020
In reply to PPP:

I bought one for running and it’s been great.  I’ve also used it for a single night time bouldering session.

Main benefit is the combination of lightweight and balance.  I also have a Reaktik Core and a Tikka and the amount that they bounce around is noticeably more.

olddirtydoggy 09 Dec 2020

I noticed we got a vid review here for this one. I've been consuming much more of my climbing media lately via Epic TV as the vid format for meatheads like me is much easier. The only thing I don't like about Epic is they are selling the kit and the reviews might not be so critical.

Youtube and the vid format will attract more of the younger climbers, the vid stats on some of the regular shows seem to prove where things are going. I hope UKC will move more in this direction as most of the team here knock out some first class content.

Not everyone will be able to cross over from the written article to the vid but without blowing too smoke up your arse you're absolutely fine. Great review.

In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice (and also quite reassuring) to hear, because what you have described is exactly what we were hoping for; furthermore, we have plans to roll them out further throughout 2021.

As you say, some people like reading reviews, others like watching them, so the ability to produce both is a benefit to everyone.

Marek 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> As you say, some people like reading reviews, others like watching them, so the ability to produce both is a benefit to everyone.

Perhaps I'm an old fart, but I'll very rarely bother looking at a video review. I'd always rather read (at my own pace - usually a quick 'random-access' scan) rather than watch (at someone else's lugubrious linear pace).

By all means do video reviews, but please always include a written one as well.

In reply to Marek:

> By all means do video reviews, but please always include a written one as well.

Don't worry, we will

TobyA 12 Dec 2020

Have you checked if the red and green battery indicator lights are distinguishable to people who are red and green colour blind? I have a number of rechargeable lights - mainly bike lights - where supposedly a little LED goes from red to green when fully charged. I never have a clue!

crayefish 12 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Have you tried colouring the indicator LEDs of your lights with red permanent marker or looking at them through a bit of red plastic?  Should be nice and bright when red, and much darker when it switches to green (the red cover filtering out much of the green light).  Or vise versa of course.

TobyA 13 Dec 2020
In reply to crayefish:

Often it's one LED that changes colour to show battery fill. From Rob's description that's what I took this to be.

crayefish 13 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

I got that.   Sorry, probably didn't explain it very well... you can colour that one LED (or look at it through an external red/green filter).  If you look at a red light through a red filter, it will be bright.  If you look at a green light through a red filter, it will be very dark.  Thus, one can detect which colour is lit in the LED by seeing if the LED is bright (red through red filter) or dim (green through red filter), without actually having to visualise the colour itself.

TobyA 13 Dec 2020
In reply to crayefish:

So I should try going over the LED with a red sharpie - cheers, might give it a go on the plug/adapter for charging my main bike headlight battery pack. If no one else in the family is around to ask, I really stare at it and think "well it just looks orange to me"! No idea whether it's green or red!

crayefish 13 Dec 2020
In reply to TobyA:

Let me know how it goes... science says it should work, and I believe her

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...