UKC

ARTICLE: Doug Scott Obituary - 1941-2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 10 Dec 2020
On The Ogre

Stephen Venables remembers mountaineer, author and Community Action Nepal charity founder Doug Scott, who passed away this week.

'He was a man of principle – visionary and adventurous, but in some ways quite conservative, rooted in traditions which he valued. One of those traditions was the notion that if we climbers are going to spend our lives doing something that has no ostensible practical purpose, then it is important how we carry out that pursuit. And for Doug, if I have understood him correctly, paramount in that 'how' were notions of curiosity, personal responsibility, risk and a willingness to embrace – even seek out – uncertainty.'

Read more
Removed User 10 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

I understand completely about his compost heap for, 5 years ago he turned me down for a trip out climbing. The reason- he was lifting his onions!

Inspiring person

RIP Doug.

TheGeneralist 10 Dec 2020
In reply to Stephen,

Lovely read. Nicely written.

PS. Loved your lecture in Tiso's in Glasgow just after your Kanshung escapade.

Wayne 11 Dec 2020

Stephen,

As per all your books and articles this has been extremely well written with plenty of insight and interesting details. 

A truly fitting account of an amazing man who led and amazing life.

Malbogies 12 Dec 2020
In reply to Wayne:

Thank you.  Yes, he led an enviably full life and was an inspiration to us all.  Best wishes, Stephen

Y Gribin 14 Dec 2020

I thought this was a beautifully written piece and a far better tribute than any of the newspaper obituaries. Many thanks Stephen - please write more for UKC !

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...