UKC

Dry rock in the north west?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lewis Robinson 11 Dec 2020

Does anyone know of any bouldering locations that are likely to be dry this weekend? I'm based just north of manchester, which has been pretty damn wet all week, and I'm trying to avoid the gyms as much as possible. 

I'm pretty new to getting out and about outdoors so I don't have a good knowledge of local crags and associated local weather conditions/drying conditions. 

Any help appreciated. 

Offwidth 11 Dec 2020
In reply to Lewis Robinson:

Have a look here, especially on the blog in the winter months (or email Robin... he is a friendly guy). I'd highly recommend his guidebook if you don't already have it.

http://www.lancashirebouldering.com/

raussmf 11 Dec 2020

Often thougth about this myself...according to jerry moffats book theres a cave outside stoney middleton by the road that you can train in when its pissing it down

mrphilipoldham 11 Dec 2020

As a purveyor of north west grit, having climbed in most holes in the grounds, I'm going to stick my neck out and say probably not. Even the perma-dry quarries that you can often rely on have started to seep now. It is meant to clear up tomorrow around lunch time but it'll be dark before anything's properly dried. Then Sunday it's due to rain again. 

Of course if you were absolutely desperate then I'd head for New Mills as a first port of call, it doesn't seep too much there but it can feel greasy and if they grass is wet at the base then it'll feel pretty rubbish anyway. As a secondary then Greetland quarry is also reasonably reliable but was beginning to seep earlier this week and we've had more rain now. 

Post edited at 17:32
In reply to Offwidth:

Perfect! Thank you very much. I'll do some reading!

In reply to raussmf:

Wonderful! Thank you! 

In reply to mrphilipoldham:

That's great, thank you for the detailed response! I'll have a look tomorrow even if it's just for future reference!

In reply to raussmf:

It's it called "pathside roof"? 

ianstevens 12 Dec 2020

Toms Cave

Also the Tor in the Peak, and the Bowderstone in the lakes.

In reply to ianstevens:

Perfect! Thank you!

LakesWinter 13 Dec 2020

Tom's cave seeps but minus ten does not. As long as the air isnt still minus ten works but it is an acquired taste.....

TheGeneralist 13 Dec 2020
In reply to mrphilipoldham:

> As a purveyor of north west grit

Well there we go, problem solved. 

Please can you supply a 5m high, overhanging wall 100m long with loads of big holds.  Delivered to South Manchester.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...