UKC

Historical images - Baggy Point - HELP PLEASE!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 james mann 23 Dec 2020

I am putting together images for the historical for the forthcoming CC guide to The Culm Coast and Baggy Point. I am looking for images of these climbers preferably at Baggy Point although other images may prove useful:

Alan Baker

Tony Wilmott

Mike Spring

Chris King -on Heart of the Sun

I have no idea if any images exist but have at times been very surprised by what people have managed to unearth so I figure that this is worth a shot in the dark.

Any contributors whose images are used will receive a copy of the guide.

I will continue to check this thread but feel free to pm me and I'll respond.

Thanks

James Mann

alan moore 23 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

I can remember photo articles of those being in Crags magazine.

Sorry, no further help though.

OP james mann 23 Dec 2020
In reply to alan moore:

Thanks Alan. Is there anyone with a set who could check?

James

scott titt 23 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

Hi James 

I've just had a quick look at the early editions of Crags that I have, the trouble  is Crags had no contents on the cover, and no contents page so hard searching, nothing useful turned up, but I don't have later  editions past no 20

The famous Mountain 34 has a pic of Dave Johnston on the FA of Kinkyboots, but I expect you have seen that edition as the article was written by Pat 

I was at Baggy when the Bristol boys were cleaning Heart of the Sun just before the FA, but I don't have any pics.

OP james mann 23 Dec 2020
In reply to scott titt:

Thanks Scott. Very helpful. I can get and scan the kinky boots image tomorrow. It is pictures of those particular individuals that I am especially after. Thanks for having a look. Hope you’re well. 

Cheers

James

alan moore 23 Dec 2020
In reply to scott titt:

> Hi James 

> I've just had a quick look at the early editions of Crags that I have, the trouble  is Crags had no contents on the cover, and no contents page so hard searching, nothing useful turned up, but I don't have later  editions past no 20

There was a South West Special edition with a picture of the Devils Slide on the cover.

I'm also thinking of a Tony Wilmot obituary, written by Al Baker called Stone Child or something similar....

johncook 23 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

When I get home I will check my old crags and rocksport mags. Also have a Bristol club mag with some pictures which may be of Baggy or those mentioned. May take a few days!

scott titt 24 Dec 2020
In reply to alan moore:

The South West special was Crags 19, the only Baggy picture in it is of an unknown climber on Midnight Cowboy taken by Ken Wilson.

Ian Parsons 24 Dec 2020
In reply to alan moore:

Stone-Child is in Crags #26; a couple of portrait images, but nothing actually on rock.

alan moore 24 Dec 2020
In reply to scott titt:

My mistake. I thought there was a shot of someone on the original start of Pink Void. Must have been somewhere else. Half a memory not much use...

In reply to james mann:

There was an article called "In a Baggy Bag" - in, I think Rocksport in the early 70's. If anyone kept those. Pics of Alan Baker in there and others I'm sure. It made a big impression on me at the time as a youth and inspired me to go there.

Hitching back I got a ride from the Mayor of Barnstaple in a Rolls Royce all the way back to Reading. 

Post edited at 04:20
 Pedro50 25 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

I have a complete set of Crags if the posts above haven't done the trick. Let me know if wading through them is required. 

OP james mann 25 Dec 2020
In reply to Pedro50:

I spoke to Alan Baker on Wednesday. He is going to have a poke through his images and should be sending me some stuff. Thanks for your kind offer and for the help of others here. 

James

jon 25 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

Have you contacted Marion Wintringham?

The Pylon King 25 Dec 2020
In reply to jon:

> Have you contacted Marion Wintringham?

Yes. Got some good bits and bobs off her a while back.

tmawer 25 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

I have texted Chris K to see if he can help. 

Andy2 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Jonathan Lagoe - UKC:

I should have that Rocksport somewhere, I'll have a look later today.

Andy2 26 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

James,

I've found the Rocksport article - February / March 1972. The article's by Alan Baker. There are three photos, an indifferent crag shot; one of Fools Rush In, photo credited to Alan Baker but the climber's unidentified; and one of The Straight and Narrow, again photo credited to Alan Baker but the two climbers are unidentified.

Let me know if you want a scan of any photos or the whole article.

A

OP james mann 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Andy2:

Have sent you a pm

totkn 26 Dec 2020
In reply to james mann:

Hi James.  I have five black and white prints of the first ascent of Heart of the Sun . I think they were taken by a couple of french climbers while they were waiting to do the route and they must have sent them to Arni or myself when they got home. They are approx 9x6 ins. and reasonable quality for climbing shots from the 70s. I can scan and forward if you like. The french pair climbed the route after us in its original aided style, presumably unembarrassed by its new free status. We did go back and reclimb it a short while later as the first pitch fell down. Ironical as in my description of it I had written it was on sound rock in the lower two thirds!     Chris King

OP james mann 26 Dec 2020
In reply to totkn:

YHM

James

The Pylon King 26 Dec 2020
In reply to totkn:

I am authoring the Baggy section in the new book and spent some time this year renovating Heart of the Sun (Pink Void is a lost cause). Was really hoping we could track down some FA pics since reading that they existed in Extreme Rock so this is very good news!

Post edited at 20:51

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...