UKC

Anyone used this headtorch ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Billhook 26 Dec 2020

My grandson has been using this for several weeks - Any thoughts?  They are far cheaper than the stuff Petzel and other 'outdoor' orientated lighting.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PDL56ZQ/ref=cm_sw_r_fm_apa_fabc_TEJ5FbA39B84...

DaveHK 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Billhook:

Depends what for. I'm sure it's fine for general use but not sure I'd trust it for a big winter day on Beinn Eighe or suchlike!

Bacon Butty 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Billhook:

I have an old version of this: https://alpkit.com/products/prism

No idea how it compares to others, but it's well bright enough for me.

I wouldn't touch the Amazon one with yours, I'm one of those anti-Amazon goons

Post edited at 16:50
 Aeth 26 Dec 2020

Have three Omeril branded ones that look pretty similar. Mainly for use in the barn with no mains. 

They work well, several hours of decent light and pretty robust/ water resistant.

Batteries are removable in ours and I charge the batteries in a dedicated battery charger rather than with the supplied cable.

These are new this year to replace older ones, one of which started to have a dodgy on/off switch so don't know how long they'll last yet

Ridge 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Billhook:

They're like any of the other thousands of Chinese-made headtorches with funny names. They could be ok, they could set your house on fire when you try and recharge them. It's a bit of a gamble. At that price point I wouldn't expect particularly good build quality, but then again petzl had dodgy wiring for years that broke without warning.

At least with one bought from a reputable retailer and manufacturer you have some comeback.

Post edited at 21:30
Removed User 26 Dec 2020
In reply to Billhook:

Even the big brand equivalents are hit or miss I've found, once you get into stuff like external batteries with wiring, recharging and moving parts. Unless it's for serious use, I'd use it, but expect issues.

A year ago I spoke to a Princeton Tec distributor and he reckoned a significant part of the difference was in the tech used with the heat sink elements (I don't quite get that as I thought LEDs didn't require it, but other bits must...), so the cheap ones that claim lots of lumens do get them, but only for short bouts.

Some crazy looking other lights on that link. May be silly and dodgy, but good to see some creativity going on.

OP Billhook 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

Yes, some of the other lights were way of the scale.  I guess you'd be able to cook on some of them or damage eyes if looked at directly !!  

Bob Kemp 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Billhook:

I’ve got one, mainly for supervising the pup in the back garden at night. It’s certainly bright but it’s a bit clunky with the battery pack at the back. Also uses a rather niche USB charger, which of course we’ve lost...

Neil Williams 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I must admit that those "funny" made up brands are putting me off using Amazon, you don't know what's decent and what's garbage.

In reply to Billhook:

These Chinese torches are great, but potentially dangerous - I burnt down a room at Glenmore Lodge a few years ago when the battery exploded while on charge. 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/press/warnings_after_exploding_head_torch_b...

I would get the torch but buy quality batteries and a separate charger. (And I now do most of my charging inside a closed ammo box just in case). 

Removed User 29 Dec 2020
In reply to Billhook:

> Yes, some of the other lights were way of the scale.  I guess you'd be able to cook on some of them or damage eyes if looked at directly !!  

People that strap these things to their heads are braver than I am.

OP Billhook 30 Dec 2020
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Wow!

The Grist 31 Dec 2020
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

> These Chinese torches are great, but potentially dangerous - I burnt down a room at Glenmore Lodge a few years ago when the battery exploded while on charge. 

You still think they are great?!?

I once had a dodgy head torch from China bought via Amazon and I used it a few times then got a recall notice saying it ‘posed an immediate risk of explosion’. 

Flinticus 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

That price is below the cost of quality, durability and safety IMO.  

Makes me think of Christmas cracker compasses.

Post edited at 13:04
OP Billhook 03 Jan 2021
In reply to Billhook:

Thanks everyone = looks like I'll leave it alone.  Having an explosion on your head on Tower Ridge might not be a good idea, just to save a few  ££££££s

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...