UKC

Everyday footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jackspratt 27 Dec 2020

For years I've been wearing vans and other similar shoes unless I'm going out to do something specific such as running, climbing, walking etc. I've recently started getting issues in ankles, knees, tfl etc. My physio's advice was that it was a shock to my body to be transferred into supportive running shoes and doing long runs in them as I don't wear them often enough, the solution aside from physio and rehab exercises was to find something supportive for every day wear.

I'm fortunate that I don't have to wear smart shoes to work so the question is what do you wear everyday? running shoes? approach shoes? what's worked for you? any advice at all is welcome!

I'm not massively fashionable but would like something that at least looked half decent with jeans.

artif 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

Ditch the "supportive" running shoes. I had numerous issues trying to run in "running" shoes. Like you, I've spent my life in vans/converse etc.

No problems with running in flat/zero drop shoes with minimal cushioning since. 

Doug 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

my usual shoes when its too cold for sandals is a cheap pair of 'approach' shoes from Decathlon, cost about €30 18 Months ago & lasting well. Now regretting not buying a 2nd pair as although they still have the same name in their catalogue, they've completely changed the design

girlymonkey 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

Maybe just wear old running shoes and approach shoes which are no longer fit for their activities? A worn out sole won't matter for a wander around Tesco!

timjones 27 Dec 2020
In reply to artif:

I would second that, I have no end of problems if I try runnong in shoes that offer too much support or cushioning.

I feel much better when I wear simple shoes and let my feet work as nature intended.

Duncan Beard 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

I find Vans, DC etc too thin in the sole for walking on pavement, I feel the shock from my heel up my leg. I wear New Balance (574) these days because they are wide enough for my long toes, light & very comfortable. Plus they look cool & have a wide range of styles. They even do some models made in UK if you can afford them.

Cobra_Head 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

Brasher walking boots, comfort and joy.

Tringa 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Cobra_Head:

I'm in the lucky position of being retired and can wear what I want. I dread the day I need a more formal shoe as I haven't worn anything but trainers, boots or sandals for years.

Dave

Cobra_Head 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Tringa:

> ...... I haven't worn anything but trainers, boots or sandals for years.

Sandals were good enough for Jesus

GrahamD 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

When I was starting to get loads of joint niggles, I went to town on really finding something that really properly fitted the shape of my feet.  For me it was Merrel approach shoes which I wear for everything bar weddings and funerals.  I'm probably on pair 4 or 5 over the many years but the lack of niggles now make it money really well spent.

GrahamD 27 Dec 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

> Maybe just wear old running shoes and approach shoes which are no longer fit for their activities? A worn out sole won't matter for a wander around Tesco!

Personally I don't agree with this.  The stresses on knees and ankles with shoes that have lost their pronation support means you get niggles just from standing.

timjones 27 Dec 2020
In reply to GrahamD:

Surely that is only an issue if you require pronation support?

Jon Greengrass 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

I was fitted with orthotics as a child and basically told I’d never be able to  run.

8 years ago I made the switch to barefoot/ minimal shoes and spend as much time actually  barefoot as possible. My feet and ankles are so much better supported by my own muscles since I made the switch from “supportive” footwear.

No problems either with impact on hard surfaces surfaces since learning to walk and run with proper technique. 

GrahamD 27 Dec 2020
In reply to timjones:

> Surely that is only an issue if you require pronation support?

True, but many people do.

Andy Johnson 27 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

Black Salomon Evasion Aero approach shoes.

Ciro 27 Dec 2020
In reply to artif:

> Ditch the "supportive" running shoes. I had numerous issues trying to run in "running" shoes. Like you, I've spent my life in vans/converse etc.

> No problems with running in flat/zero drop shoes with minimal cushioning since. 

I'll third this.

Thick soled running shoes make you hit the ground harder, as your body actually thinks it's running on an unstable surface such as mossy grass, and tries to look for the stability of the ground below.

If you've got a decent mid/forefoot strike, your feet, ankles, knees, hips and back will thank you for running in flats, and if you've gone around in flat shoes for years you may well already have a running style that strikes correctly?

In reply to Jackspratt:

For years, everyday wear if it’s dry is La Sportiva Bushido, and if it’s wet, Salewa goretex approach shoes. For running, Salomon trail shoes, can’t remember the model. 
The Bushidos look great with jeans. Usually available at reasonable prices on euro sites like Alpinetrek.

timjones 28 Dec 2020
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

I have trouble envisaging Bushidos looking great with anything away from the trails.

Do they come in any colours that don't appear to be aimed at the " my first trainers" toddler market

oldie 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

Many years ago I suffered from painful feet, eventually i was referred to a foot surgeon who after Xrays unexpectedly diagnosed me as having hyperflexible feet. He told me to wear supportive running shoes (not "trainers") for everyday use and it solved the problem.

I try them out at a good shop where they watch you run and walk in several models. An expensive way to buy but well worth it for the service (though I often get the same shoe on the internet once the originals wear out).

neuromancer 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

If you don't want to look like a fat dad trying to recapture his youth, perhaps a good quality pair of Chelsea boots with a comfortable insole? 

My feet would be a sweaty mess if I wore running shoes all day every day. I would also look like a prat. 

That said, I'm all for running in low-drop shoes, although they can get a bit tiring for runs longer than 18-20k and my feet start to crave something a little more cushioned (though still without a big drop). 

I would warn against listening to anyone that tells you that pronation has to be 'controlled' with formed insoles or the like. Pronation is our foots natural shock absorption. Go watch a slow motion video of kipchoge run and tell me he needs pronation control shoes. If you're getting knee and hip pain, smart money says you have a biomechanical weakness. I'd wager a few pints it's weak medial glutes. 

Post edited at 11:39
 oldie 28 Dec 2020
In reply to neuromancer:

> My feet would be a sweaty mess if I wore running shoes all day every day. I would also look like a prat. <

Personally I wear running shoes all day and don't find them at all sweaty (after all they're designed to let air through and are not waterproof). I do swap pairs regularly and wash them in machine at low temperature occasionally, though I know its not recommended. I may well look like a prat though.

neuromancer 28 Dec 2020
In reply to oldie:

It's about synthetic Vs manmade fibres. Imagine wearing a polyester shirt every day instead of cotton?

oldie 28 Dec 2020
In reply to neuromancer:

As I say I personally don't find my running shoes sweaty though I have worn them all day, probably for over twenty years (not just the one pair!). I do wear socks and of course I'm not using them for strenuous stuff (everyday walking and I used to work in a lab).

Post edited at 12:29
 Hooo 28 Dec 2020
In reply to Jackspratt:

My everyday shoes are the "street approach shoes" that decent manufacturers seem to keep putting out. They are ridiculously overpriced at RRP but good value quality shoes if you get them in a sale. Sign up to the Rock and run mailing list and there's a deal reasonably often. I wore Scarpa Margarita for a few years and I'm now currently on 5:10 Access leather. Bought two pairs at £25 each and they are lasting for years. Far better value than anything in a high st shoe shop, and way more comfortable and longer lasting than Vans.

Post edited at 13:07
In reply to timjones:

> I have trouble envisaging Bushidos looking great with anything away from the trails.

> Do they come in any colours that don't appear to be aimed at the " my first trainers" toddler market

That’s how I like them, been buying them for years😍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...