UKC

ARTICLE: Crag Notes: Mourne

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 29 Dec 2020
Crag Notes: Mourne

In this month's Crag Notes, Andy Moles goes back to the Mourne Mountains of his homeland. "This was where it started, for me; a territory contained enough to be homely, wild enough to inspire". 

Read more
 Mick Ward 29 Dec 2020
In reply to UKC Articles:

'This was where it started, for me...' 

And me too. For over half a century, I have loved these rounded hills and sculpted valleys with a love that is dangerous in its intensity. As long as I breathe, I will love them with that same intensity.

Mick

mickyv33 30 Dec 2020

"Contained enough to be homely, wild enough to inspire."

Eloquently put and beautiful article Andy. 

No matter how Northern Ireland changes over time or relationships at home grow or diminish, a returning climber can always flee to the Mournes to be reassured that the mountains are a constant.

MichaelG 09 Jan 2021

Great article and where it all started for me too!

Lankyman 09 Jan 2021
In reply to MichaelG:

I've caved and climbed in Northern Ireland but never 'walked' as such. Is access to the hills similar to the rest of the UK? I know the Republic can be fraught with access in places.

Post edited at 16:32
 Andy Moles 11 Jan 2021
In reply to Lankyman:

> I've caved and climbed in Northern Ireland but never 'walked' as such. Is access to the hills similar to the rest of the UK?

Pretty much, as in there is generally public access to open land. I think the legal status is a little different and more dated - technically access is only 'tolerated' by the landowner, but in practice in the like of the Mournes I'm not aware of any significant issues in recent years, apart from some of the estates banning dogs or insisting they are kept on a lead.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...