UKC

THE TICKLIST: #22 - New Scottish Winter Climbs and Bouldering Repeats

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Jan 2021
Hamish Frost enjoying himself on the mighty Un Poco Loco on Bidean nam Bian

This week's Ticklist features some hard new Scottish Winter lines, repeats of difficult boulder problems around the world and an inspirational video. Roll on 2021!

Read more
 phizz4 01 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Impressive. But how can these activities be achieved with the current levels of lockdown/tiers in Scotland? And, isn't it rubbing our English noses in it somewhat, showing these wonderful conditions that we can't get access to?

In reply to phizz4:

They probably live in Scotlands highland council area. They could live in Durness and legally travel to climb in Glencoe or live in Aviemore and travel to climb on Skye, you get my point. I also suspect they might be covered by the professional athlete training exemption. For Hamish Frost the photographer for work will likely cover him. I dunno, not saying it's fair. 

aln 01 Jan 2021
In reply to phizz4:

> Impressive. But how can these activities be achieved with the current levels of lockdown/tiers in Scotland? And, isn't it rubbing our English noses in it somewhat, showing these wonderful conditions that we can't get access to?

Some people are bending and breaking the rules, some people live in the areas and aren't breaking the rules. And this might come as a surprise to you, but some of the people who live in the areas, and aren't breaking the rules......are English! 

In reply to phizz4:

haha get over it. How many Scottish trad climbers in lockdown would be complaining about how good the summer conditions are in England and wales whilst its pissing it down in the north? they have it good at the moment so why wouldn't they be out if they can do it within guidelines.

Plus there's been a fair number of winter routes ticked south of the border. I know plenty of locals who've been taking advantages of the good conditions whilst breaking no rules whatsoever.

Michael Gordon 01 Jan 2021
In reply to Harrison_Connie:

> I also suspect they might be covered by the professional athlete training exemption. 

Is there such a thing (in Britain)? Even if there was, I doubt it would be intended for relatively risky activities like trad/winter climbing... 

In reply to paul_the_northerner:

> haha get over it. How many Scottish trad climbers in lockdown would be complaining about how good the summer conditions are in England and wales whilst its pissing it down in the north? they have it good at the moment so why wouldn't they be out if they can do it within guidelines.

> Plus there's been a fair number of winter routes ticked south of the border. I know plenty of locals who've been taking advantages of the good conditions whilst breaking no rules whatsoever.

It's good to be out there....but I'd possibly stick to a minimal risk pursuit...apparently MR teams have to follow a set procedure after they perform a rescue,self isolating.I wouldn't want them not doing their full time jobs.

In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Is there such a thing (in Britain)? Even if there was, I doubt it would be intended for relatively risky activities like trad/winter climbing... 

I’m not sure actually, it’s definitely not aimed at letting professional climbers get out that don’t compete.

That’s beside the point, if you live in the highlands you generally have access to most of Scotland’s mountains without breaking the law. 

Post edited at 19:48
 Ronbo 01 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News

Great effort by the guys, well done!

I know a few people have relocated to the highlands recently and I am very jealous of them!

In reply to Ronbo:

I'm always puts off by the fact that Fort William ranks highly for suicide amongst young men.

Post edited at 20:50
In reply to Shaun mcmurrough:

> I'm always puts off by the fact that Fort William ranks highly for suicide amongst young men.

Not sure it does actually. I assume this comment isn’t based on fact and if it is, where did you source it from? 

The Black Hole in mental Health...not my words.

> The Black Hole in mental Health...not my words.

Is than an article, report or something like that? 

I was there is Sept and was reading an article in the local rag.

It appears there is some concern with the high rate,hopefully we will see a reduction with preventative work.

Post edited at 22:28

> Is than an article, report or something like that? 

Sorry for the earlier flippant reply....check out the Oban Times and other various sources.

I'll be interested to have your reasons as to why you don't think this is the case?

aln 01 Jan 2021

>  I'll be interested to have your reasons as to why you don't think this is the case?

You made the claim, the burden of proof lies with you. 

In reply to aln:

Ha..ha...I plant the seed.

aln 01 Jan 2021

> Ha..ha...I plant the seed.

No, you made an assertion, where's your evidence? You seem to think male suicide is a joke. 

I just feel your comment is nonfactual, based on nothing, inappropriate and completely irrelevant to this thread. 

Happy to be proven otherwise if you can provide actual evidence to support your claim that FW ranks highly for suicides in young men. 

Post edited at 23:44

So be it...👍

In reply to aln:

No not really...last incident I went to was some who set fire to themselves....maybe I need therapy.

Hamish Frost 01 Jan 2021

I wasn’t particularly comfortable with travelling up and down from the Highlands on a regular basis for work, so actually relocated up to Inverness about a month ago. It’s good up here at the moment, but I think we’re all fully expecting some sort of further tightening of travel restrictions some time soon..

In reply to Hamish Frost:

I wasn’t criticising, Hamish. I think it’s great you’re still able to work and climb, as jealous as I may be. 

Arms Cliff 02 Jan 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> Is there such a thing (in Britain)? Even if there was, I doubt it would be intended for relatively risky activities like trad/winter climbing... 

There are various exemptions for ‘elite sportspersons’ in here https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1374/made not sure about Scotland but assume would be similar. 

Post edited at 09:59

Https//wwwtheobantimes

In reply to phizz4:

Living in Perth and Kinross allows me to ski at Glenshee as long as it's in the same council area.  As does living in Aberdeenshire. 

In reply to aln:

> No, you made an assertion, where's your evidence? You seem to think male suicide is a joke. 

You are 56 and your best onsight for Winter climbing is 1 to 2.

Is this factually correct?

aln 02 Jan 2021

> You are 56 and your best onsight for Winter climbing is 1 to 2.

> Is this factually correct?

I'm 57, but yes, although I might have followed someone up  3. I don't like winter climbing much, I've only done it a few times. Why do you ask? 

In reply to .

> I'm 57, but yes, although I might have followed someone up  3. I don't like winter climbing much, I've only done it a few times. Why do you ask? 

I ask because it's something I read off the Internet.

👍 to facts

Ramon Marin 02 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

such amazing looking routes, good on them for getting out there snd getting them done. 

In reply to aln:

So it's just the Scots breaking their own rules.

Burden of proof plse,you make the claim?

aln 07 Jan 2021

> So it's just the Scots breaking their own rules.

> Burden of proof plse,you make the claim?

What are you talking about? 

In reply to aln:

The moments passed....replying at 2.41...do you have trouble sleeping?

aln 07 Jan 2021

> ..do you have trouble sleeping?

Do you have trouble making sense? Don't answer, your posts have done that for you. 

In reply to aln:

Do me a big a favour....Google 'suicides in Fort william'.....come back to me with what you find....then perhaps we can establish your base knowledge....thanks

Ben Callard 07 Jan 2021
In reply to phizz4:

It's cool to see people out having great adventures, but watching the news at 10 last night (this used to be an operating theatre, this used to be a children's ward, now all COVID patients etc) doesn't quite sit right with: 

'Unfortunately, the gear was a long way away as I had to commit to the crux moves, so ledge smashing was highly apparent in my mind as I steadily prayed my axes wouldn't rip on the tiny placements'  

Lockdown rules or not, it doesn't sound like the right thing to be doing right now.

Michael Gordon 07 Jan 2021
In reply to Ben Callard:

It was before lockdown, but not by much. I agree that it doesn't seem a good time for sketchy leads. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...