UKC

Boot questions, Phantoms or G5s?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 treesrockice 03 Jan 2021

Have had slightly cold and not quite fitting boots (Scarpa Rebel Ultra GTX in 44, should have got 45) for a few years now and would like opinions on quality, comfort and fit of both the Scarpa Phantom Techs (think I'd be 45) and the La Sportiva G5s (think I'd be 44) please?

As a Scottish winter and Alpine summer & winter boot.
Ta muchly!

mcawle 03 Jan 2021
In reply to treesrockice:

The one that fits best

I don't own either, but I have read in reviews that G5s are not as waterproof as one might want for Scottish winter - from memory, the allegation was that the upper gaiter is not fully waterproof, so any water level above the inner cuff could start to leak through. So scenarios like burn/stream crossing, boggy approaches, deep wet snowpack, etc.

E.g. https://rockrun.com/blogs/product-reviews/la-sportiva-g5-mountaineering-boo... 

It looks like there is a new G5 Evo available in Europe, but unsure how widely available it is in the UK or if the water resistance is different.

Removed User 04 Jan 2021
In reply to mcawle:

That's a good series of points. Having worn gaitered boots and non, I'm not entirely convinced of the gaiters efficacy at times, having often found them iced on the inside when taken off. I get they keep stuff out, but they also trap a fair bit (cue usual debate about membranes). If there's ice inside the gaiter it's telling me it's a partial barrier but not doing much for thermal effect and more than likely taking longer to dry.

I'm left thinking when it comes to single day stuff a non-leather non-gaitered boot is the go. I wear Ice Cubes without issue (apart from modifying the lace hooks) but others report problems, but other brands do similar.

re Scottish, it's been years since I went through all that, but I'd think about approaches in gumboots till crampons needed. I did that a few times around Torridon, Skye and Lock Mona and didn't find it worse than any other option. Micro-spikes would extend the idea further.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...