UKC

VIDEO: Chinese Mountaineering in the Karakorum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Jan 2021

Karakorum

In June 2019, three young Chinese climbers set off for the Karakoram Mountains in Pakistan. Their goal was an unclimbed 6000m peak deep in the mountains above the unexplored Liligo Glacier. Hao Xin, Stanley and Ken set off together on what would become an ill fated attempt at the first ascent. Ken stays behind at base camp and once his friends are two days overdue, he suspects the worst.

Read more

Paul Figg 11 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

A sombre reminder of how high the risks can be in greater ranges climbing that is very rarely seen or talked about. A stark contrast to the vast majority of films you see. Thanks Ken for having the courage to make the film, I cant imagine how long whose 2 days must have felt.

Removed User 11 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent film that deserves more viewing. Quite different to the way things are shown when 'Englished'. Some nice elements due to the amateur production.

I'm not seeing the "Azerbaijani" element tho...

Greenbanks 12 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Well worth 20 or so minutes of anybody's time. The film gives an excellent insight into the challenges of climbing in the Karakoram, but is distinguished by the sense of enthusiasm, passion and friendship of the team. It is perhaps one of the few films of its genre to capture the real spirit of the effort. It must also have taken great commitment to produce such a powerful film, given circumstances which must still be very raw. A fitting tribute to what comes across as 2 lovely, lovely guys. Thank you.

steveb2006 12 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

A beautiful and poignant film.

Tom Last 12 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Wow, that's some viewing. Beautiful and sad film.

Slackerer 14 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Very insightful and poignant film. Korakorum looks like a beautiful but unforgiving region. Loved watching the dynamic between the lads and their passion. Rest in peace to the two that lost their lives. Thanks for signposting UKC, hopefully will get more views 👍

MischaHY 15 Jan 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant but harrowing knowing what was coming. The best and worst of alpinism. 

One thing I didn't quite understand - for two days, they're talking about how the fresh snow fell and the avalanche risk increased a lot - but seemingly the next day they go for it? Is just the reality of climbing in the Karakorum or was this a factor in what happened? 

I have no experience of this sort of climbing so would like to respectfully understand the circumstances. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...