UKC

OMM Advice question

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chriswhoruns 12 Jan 2021

Hi there, new poster but a bit of a lurker. 
There was a old posting called OMM Advice where it was mentioned to have plastic bags for your feet at the overnight, this struck me as odd. Could anyone educate me why you would put your feet in plastic bags. 
cheers!

bouldery bits 12 Jan 2021
In reply to Chriswhoruns:

Get to camp. Get set up. Get in sleeping bag. Put on warm, dry socks. Have dinner. Drink tea. Rehydrate 

Need to pee.

Need to put manky, sweaty, soggy, bog drenched fell shoes back on. With your nice clean socks.

2 plastic bags protects your socks from your shoes meaning a much more comfortable night's sleep. 

BB

DaveHK 12 Jan 2021

Like BB says.

The LAMM used to issue foot (ish) shaped poly bags, think I've still got a pair somewhere.

Wainers44 12 Jan 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Get to camp. Get set up. Get in sleeping bag. Put on warm, dry socks. Have dinner. Drink tea. Rehydrate 

> Need to pee.

> Need to put manky, sweaty, soggy, bog drenched fell shoes back on. With your nice clean socks.

> 2 plastic bags protects your socks from your shoes meaning a much more comfortable night's sleep. 

> BB

This.

And in a small tent it controls the smell sufficient so that you and your partner might still be speaking to each other by morning!

What BB said. Temporary dry feet one of the few pleasures in the whole affair.

k_os 12 Jan 2021

There's a Facewest video on mountain marathon packs/packing that mentions it, amongst other things, that I watched recently.

youtube.com/watch?v=A1k6z-AjG7s&

OP Chriswhoruns 13 Jan 2021

That makes sense, thanks, every days a school day!

Ridge 13 Jan 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Get to camp. Get set up. Get in sleeping bag. Put on warm, dry socks. Have dinner. Drink tea. Rehydrate 

> Need to pee.

> Need to put manky, sweaty, soggy, bog drenched fell shoes back on. With your nice clean socks.

> 2 plastic bags protects your socks from your shoes meaning a much more comfortable night's sleep. 

Am I bad person for thinking "stay cosy in sleeping bag and pee in the plastic bag"?

galpinos 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> Am I bad person for thinking "stay cosy in sleeping bag and pee in the plastic bag"?

The mid camp is pretty sociable. It's nice to be able to wander round and chat to people, check results, pop to full up with water, generally keeping moving to stop the legs for seizing up without your nice clean and dry socks getting soaked. I have saved old "footbags" from LAMMs over the years. Worth the minimal weight penalty. 

Dark-Cloud 13 Jan 2021

Am I the only one who has thought about a really cheap light pair of flip flops for mid camp ?

Seen people with Crocs flapping off the pack on the SLMM once, might be a bit cold for the OMM but for the SLMM would be ideal.

greg_may_ 13 Jan 2021

If you're using small drybags for your kit - use these on your feet. Saves a marginal amount of weight. I use the really light thin Ortlieb ones for this purpose. Though you do get odd stares in the shop when you try them on...

Tip from watching one of the elite teams a few years back who didn't look like they were having a total sufferfest

Marek 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> Am I the only one who has thought about a really cheap light pair of flip flops for mid camp ?

> Seen people with Crocs flapping off the pack on the SLMM once, might be a bit cold for the OMM but for the SLMM would be ideal.

If it's dry and warm (SLMM on the mythical good year), then bare feet. Otherwise plastic bags (roasting bags are best -> tough). Anything else is unnecessary weight.

Marek 13 Jan 2021
In reply to Marek:

Oh, and on the subject of plastic bags...

... another one (with a decent tie) is also useful for collecting cooking water from the river at the overnight camp (in addition to whatever you scoop up in your pot). Means you don't have to go for water in the morning (well avoided in the dark/cold).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...