UKC

Best lightweight belay jacket to clip-on harness

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stanners 30 Jan 2021

Morning all!

Just hoping someone could help me out with some suggestions. I'm after getting myself a lightweight belay jacket that can be stuffed away and clipped on my harness for multi-pitching..

I guess I'm after some sort of thin single layer windstopper style thing to stop the shivers when belaying up the second. 

Any one got something good that works for them?

Cheers

olddirtydoggy 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

Montane Prism Ultra. Their light version of the Prism so not exactly that warm.

OP Stanners 30 Jan 2021
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

Great thanks for that sir! Looks like the sort of thing I'm after. 

jethro kiernan 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

Got an Arc’teryx Nuclei Fl for light summer/spring Autumn  jacket. Very good bang for the weight

review here

https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/clothing/synthetic_insulation/arc'teryx_nuc...

wbo2 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:Geographically where? Summer, winter?

Slarti B 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

If you want pure softshell rather than insulated have a look at the ME Squall. 
Tough enough to climb in as well when it is colder. 

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/collections/mens-jackets/products/squa...

OP Stanners 30 Jan 2021
In reply to jethro kiernan:

Thanks mate that looks exactly what I'm looking for 

OP Stanners 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Slarti B:

Thanks that looks like another really good option 

jethro kiernan 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

I managed to get the older model from sport pursuit, really flexible jacket lives in my bag for most of the year apart from mid winter and sometimes even then I’ll double it up with a lightweight down jacket. 

HeMa 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

This is pretty good. 
https://cumulus.equipment/eu_en/men-jacket-climalite-full-zip.html

they also have down options, but not really suitable for winter climbing. I still use the pullover model (that had a proper hood, seems like the new pullover is missing one).

there are similar options available, but many seem to carry a brand tax on their price. 

John Alcock 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

Hi Rob, Elise and I are great fans of the Montane Featherlite Trail Jacket. It weighs nothing but is very windproof. The jacket folds back in its pocket for clipping to your harness. I've used one on numerous multi-pitch routes and of course for hanging belays in Pembroke.

Euan Todd 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

I've got a Rab Vapour Rise Alpine Light which I really rate - the fit is really good (if you're Rab shape), clips to a harness, zipped pockets, great hood, good cuff design.  Got it second hand a couple of years ago and it's been brilliant.

It's really comfy and not much bulkier than a basic windproof jacket.

Martin Bennett 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

Rab Xenon X is perfect for that. Primaloft filled and windproof but thin and light at around 340g.

And what do you know? I have one to sell. I bought it in medium and have worn it on 3 walks. I find it warmer than it's weight and appearance would suggest but just a tiny bit tighter than I like so I've just bought another in Large. I'd say the one I want to sell is a neat 40" chest. It's very dark blue and altogether unmarked - can hardly tell from new, if at all.

If it's your size let me know and we can agree a price I'm sure. Cheers. Martin.

Run_Ross_Run 31 Jan 2021
In reply to Stanners:

Montane fireball (smock or jacket), only 40gms, I think, of insulation but excellent weight to insulation properties.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...