UKC

Minor skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flinticus 06 Feb 2021

I cut bread very well. 

Here's my work on a fresh sourdough loaf. A challenge as hard and thick crust but soft interior. Can easily squash and deform!

What's your minor skill?

Gone for good 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Nice bread knife work.

I like to think my fried egg flipping skills are pretty good. I can flip the fried egg to sunny side down, 20 seconds and then remove from the frying pan and place on toast sunny side up with the yolk slightly glazed but still runny. 

mick taylor 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Undoing knots, especially in fine chains (jewellery). I’m very dexterous, think it might be due to playing the violin when I was younger. 

OP Flinticus 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Gone for good:

Thanks!

I can't flip at all.

In reply to Flinticus:

Knitting shocks. I know how to turn a heel.

Tom Valentine 06 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

I envy my wife and son who can both splice a hawser laid rope extremely neatly.

Blue Straggler 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I've been pondering this and depressingly can't think of anything. 

Maybe I have a 6.5/10 success rate in identifying a BOBFOC from behind, but that give the paradox where being correct is more disappointing than being incorrect. Some might call that a win-win, but not me. 

OP Flinticus 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

Dish washer filling? Estimating the time of day? Throwing dog ppo bags into bins?

In reply to Flinticus:

funnily enough, estimating the time of day is one that I nearly posted. I am usually good to within 5 minutes but a) this skill seems to be fading and b) there may be some confirmation bias, bordering on Dunning-Kruger effect, at play 

girlymonkey 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I can be overly enthusiastic about almost anything! 

mcdougal 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I can flip any child (up to the age of 7) 360° around the axis of their belly button.

It is a skill that is both rare and valuable. 

In reply to girlymonkey:

you weren’t enthusiastic about being told why airports can’t have climbing walls, you were in a right old grump about that 😃

Post edited at 16:05
 Welsh Kate 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Touch-typing. No idea my exact speed, but I can have a conversation with someone holding eye-contact with them and still type pretty accurately at speed - way faster than I can write by hand. One of the most useful skills I ever learned in school.

Post edited at 16:17
In reply to Welsh Kate:

ah well I was not counting such things as a minor skill! As it has a professional application in and of itself. I am good at taking one look at an item and estimating the optimal x-ray exposure settings and duration of a CT scan of it before it goes anywhere near the x-ray system...  😃

yeti 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

mrs yeti believes i can name any tractor from a distant glance....

: )

OP Flinticus 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Blue Straggler:

I think that counts though it does creep into the moderate skills arena.

bouldery bits 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

That is class! I can never get bread that even.

My mini skill is winding people up on the internet.

In reply to yeti:

>  i can name any tractor from a distant glance....

Pah. I can do that.

Bob. Ted. Fred. Bert...

Post edited at 17:19
In reply to Flinticus:

I make the world's best scrambled eggs, according to the missus. I also have an uncanny ability to name a film by a tiny snippet of its theme tune.

mick taylor 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I can do an utterly realistic formula one racing car noise impression. I can also do a near perfect tawny owl hoot. 

OP Flinticus 06 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

Bird sounds...yeah! Can you do a decent 'caw'?

mick taylor 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

Not bad, but my ‘cockadoodledo’ is pretty good. 

OP Flinticus 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I'm surprised no-one has claimed joint rolling skills.

It took me ages to get to being able to do a half decent one but I was never near as skilled as some around me, making T shaped ones or rolling one handed! Now I doubt I could even make any sort of one as its 12 years or more since last rolled. Its an ability I've lost!

Post edited at 18:54
 Tony Buckley 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

A friend once rolled one shaped like a benzene hexagon, complete with bonded hydrogen at each, er, joint.  It was quite the work of art and was displayed on his mantlepiece thereafter.

T.

In reply to Welsh Kate:

> Touch-typing. No idea my exact speed, but I can have a conversation with someone holding eye-contact with them and still type pretty accurately at speed - way faster than I can write by hand. One of the most useful skills I ever learned in school.

Being a nurse I can do five things at once. It's an essential part of the job description!

Morty 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus

> I'm surprised no-one has claimed joint rolling skills.

> It took me ages to get to being able to do a half decent one but I was never near as skilled as some around me, making T shaped ones or rolling one handed! Now I doubt a could even make any sort of one as its 12 years or more since last rolled. Its an ability I've lost!

Mate used to regularly roll them whilst steering with one knee - normally as he was overtaking on the motorway. Apparently this was better than trying to smoke my "baggy" efforts... 

Morty 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Flinticus:

I am brilliant at pointing brickwork.  Apparently, I am a pointing savant. Pointing has nothing to do with my usual job, if you discount pointing at things to illustrate how good or bad they are. 

OP Flinticus 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Morty:

> "baggy" efforts... 

The horror of an evening smoking with friends when none of good joint rollers were about...adequate made barely smokable by being stoned. Some times the responsibility would fall on me!

climbingpixie 06 Feb 2021
In reply to Deleated bagger:

I love a good heel turn, watching it go from 2d to 3d is like knitting magic!

My minor skill is that I've got a really good eye for dividing up quantities. If I needed to split some pastry into two or three, or need to portion out some butter or something, I get it almost perfectly right just on sight. I'm also a poached egg ninja, adept at turning out perfectly poached eggs at precisely the moment my toast has finished being buttered.

Blue Straggler 07 Feb 2021
In reply to climbingpixie:

>  I'm also a poached egg ninja, adept at turning out perfectly poached eggs at precisely the moment my toast has finished being buttered.

My Tefal Toast n Egg n Bean dream machine somehow manages this. It’s sorcery! 

Reach>Talent 07 Feb 2021
In reply to mick taylor:

I can do a brilliant puffin impression, but I have learned that with great power comes great responsibility and I no longer use my gift:

I was in a sea life centre and I thought I would demonstrate my amazing skills to my wife, I opened my mouth and puffin'd as hard as I could it was an world class puffin impression. My elation at such a brilliant puffin impression was short lived though as a puffin turned and looked at me with such sorrow in his eyes, I don't know what I had said to him but he looked heartbroken. 

Maybe he had thought I was a lady puffin, only to discover some idiot stood by the enclosure or perhaps I had said something offensive? Either way I will never forget quite how depressed that little puffin looked. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...