UKC

REVIEW: Scarpa Drago LV

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 09 Feb 2021
Penny Orr on the superb Hanging Flakes at Combeshead Tor

The super-sensitive Drago is ideal for high performance bouldering and sport, both indoors and out, and if your smaller or lower volume feet didn't fit the original then the LV version might be for you, says Penny Orr.   

Read more
 Tom Last 11 Feb 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good effort getting over to Cartoonlands. Really like it over there. 

In reply to Tom Last:

I'll reply on Penny's behalf here, simply because I very much doubt she'll look at this thread, whereas I'm plugged into the Forums 24/7.

We got really lucky with a perfect week of weather just before lockdown, when we decided to brave a last minute week away. I'm glad we did too, because I'm not sure we've gone further than 10 miles from our house ever since!

Cartoonlands was an absolute highlight. Such a good circuit, and such good rock, and somewhere I'd really like to go back to. Other highlights included the Becka Brook Boulders and Wray Cleave. As is always the case with Dartmoor, the more areas you visit, and the more you do, the more you realise there is - hence we hope to be down again as/when circumstances allow us to travel.

On a separate note, when can we expect to see your guidebook to the Kernow side of the country?

Post edited at 09:27
 neuromancer 12 Feb 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Can I ask if you think these are narrower at the forefoot? I have low instep, low volume but wide (chisel shaped) feet. Which usually means scarpa shoes but done up really tight are a good fit.

How do they compare to say a Chimera?

Post edited at 09:52
In reply to neuromancer:

Sorry for the delayed reply - I totally missed this back when it was posted.

As always, fit is a hard thing to comment on and the best thing you can do is try a pair on, as that'll mean much more than anything else I'm about to say.

The Drago LV technically sits at the narrower end of the Scarpa spectrum; however, as per Penny's review I wouldn't actually call it narrow - it's just narrower than the other shoes within the Scarpa collection. I know a fair few folk with wider feet who've got on extremely well with the Drago LV, so make what you will of that...

When it comes to how they compare to the Chimera neither Penny or myself are qualified to comment. I used the Chimera for a very short period of time, but never really got on with them - mostly due to a lack of personal fit.

Maybe others out there can pass comment?

Tom Last 23 Feb 2021
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

Hi Rob, sorry missed this. 

Yeah, Wray Cleave is great, I thought I'd snuck in under the radar several years back and grabbed the first ascent of what was in fact No Wray Jose, but was not to be - great place.

As far as the guidebook goes, yes, the various Lockdowns have been a boon in terms of time to put things together, but a curse too since everybody has got strong and is putting up loads of new stuff each time they're released. I can't keep up! Still, it'll all look good in there for sure.

As with these things it depends on a few factors like costs and time of course, but shoud at least be all laid out tail end of this year. Maybe 😂

Post edited at 13:47
In reply to Tom Last:

> Yeah, Wray Cleave is great, I thought I'd snuck in under the radar several years back and grabbed the first ascent of what was in fact No Wray Jose, but was not to be - great place.

I think I saw your note in the logbook about this. Good effort in finding it in the first place, not knowing it was there. I knew it was there and it still took a whole lot of bushwhacking to locate. Would love to go back with a few more pads and try that outrageous looking line just to its left, but it looks desperate - hence I'd happily settle for a circuit elsewhere within the woods.

> As far as the guidebook goes, yes, the various Lockdowns have been a boon in terms of time to put things together, but a curse too since everybody has got strong and is putting up loads of new stuff each time they're released. I can't keep up! Still, it'll all look good in there for sure.

Ha, I can only imagine. I keep seeing new stuff on Danny O'Neill's Facebook page, then there's the various keen youths like Kemball Jnr who seem to be unstoppable. It's both a desirable and a dismaying state of affairs for a guidebook author to have!!

Keep us posted as/when it's closer to publication anyhow, can't wait to see it.

Post edited at 14:36

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...