UKC

ARTICLE: The Climb: A VR Game turning Non-Climbers on to Climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 04 Mar 2021
Bay scene visuals.

'The Climb' VR game has generated some lockdown hype among non-climbers online ahead of the launch of its sequel this week. What's all the fuss about, and does its appeal extend to climbers? Could it even be a physical and mental training aid during lockdown?

'When walls reopen, prepare for a deluge of gamers, armed with gloves, wristbands, watches and a VR headset, seeking out the 'Savepoints' and 'rechalking' on each hold...along with cries of "Sure, 7a is cool, but what's he done on Oculus Rift?"' 

Read more
In reply to UKC Articles:

Has anybody tried to make augmented reality version of it: You are on a climbing wall, actually making moves, but you wear Oculus for the views? Perhaps coupled with one of these hamster wheel (rotary) walls?

The Pylon King 04 Mar 2021

Its the equivalent of indoor climbers going outside.

andybenham 04 Mar 2021

Having just watched the game trailer I'd say anyone transitioning from this to real climbing wl be easily identified by their shockingly bad footwork

Michael Gordon 04 Mar 2021

sounds like a load of nonsense

tehmarks 04 Mar 2021

Is this going to be the modern version of the indoor-to-outdoor transition, where strong plastic boulderers rock up at the Plantation and realise that V4 is actually reasonably hard?

tehmarks 04 Mar 2021
In reply to The Pylon King:

You beat me to it.

Climber_Bill 04 Mar 2021

Looks like a load of shit to me. Sorry, sorry, no it's actually the greatest thing ever. In fact, all climbers should just use this and not go outside at all, especially to any crags I want to go to.

RX-78 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Climber_Bill:

I think real world climbing could learn a thing or two from it, I noticed a bell at the top of one climb. Imagine how cool that would at a crag, you could have different tones for each climb. 😁

I tried to contact the developers about possibly getting a preview, but they didn't respond. The Climb 2 looks to have some improvements in graphics and gameplay going by initial response. As someone who once nearly fainted simply from imagining falling down a mountain (likely induced by altitude + lack of food) I'm not sure how the falling would feel! 

Ciro 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:

> I tried to contact the developers about possibly getting a preview, but they didn't respond. The Climb 2 looks to have some improvements in graphics and gameplay going by initial response. As someone who once nearly fainted simply from imagining falling down a mountain (likely induced by altitude + lack of food) I'm not sure how the falling would feel! 

I haven't played it, but I get motion sickness from VR quite easily and have to watch what games I play. I imagine unexpected "falls" would have me lying down in a darkened room quite quickly.

Removed User 05 Mar 2021

Is the expansion pack going to feature Running Hill Pits?

Orkie 05 Mar 2021
In reply to Ciro:

I have the game, it isn't very good - mildly entertaining for 10 minutes but not worth £25 or whatever it costs. When you fall, it doesn't happen as quickly as a real fall and you don't fall far before it fades out to black.

Tigger 06 Mar 2021

Why are they wearing jamming gloves? All though jugs and not one crack...

Lankyman 06 Mar 2021
In reply to Tigger:

> Why are they wearing jamming gloves? All though jugs and not one crack...

I think those are Bear Grylls' hands

Will Collett 16 Mar 2021

I had a go on this a few weeks ago and beforehand was highly sceptical.  It turned out to be far better than I expected, and despite making everyone who had a go feel pretty sick and disorientated (like any VR game in my experience), it was fun, addictive and gave a real feeling of exposure in some stunning virtual settings. It's clear that the makers of the game did their research and consulted climbers. Although you are just using your hands and it takes no physical exertion, the hard sections require you to think through sequences and keep a cool head. 

If I had a VR headset I could see myself wasting a few weeks on it, and possibly puking on my living room floor. 

Kieran_John 17 Mar 2021
In reply to Will Collett:

For what it's worth, the motion sickness does tend to go the more you use VR, generally.

I never really got on with The Climb though, not because it's not a realistic simulation of climbing, it's not intended to be,  but because the motion to me felt a little 'off'.

I felt more like I was moving a camera around than moving my body and that took away from the enjoyment of the game.

Still, I do love VR.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...