UKC

Trekking near Santiago, Chile

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Martin Hore 08 Mar 2021

My wife has a good friend living in Santiago, Chile - not a hill-walker or climber - neither is my wife. We are thinking of visiting next January/February, COVID permitting.

Obviously I'd like to fit in some time in the mountains if possible. Does anyone have experience of good treks - single day or two/three days - in the Santiago area? A few years ago I would have happily walked solo, but might now prefer something organised. Happy to take in some altitude, plus scrambling and snow/glaciers.

Grateful for any recommendations - Many thanks.

Martin

Becky E 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Matt Maynard will probably be able to point you in the right direction  https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=43026

Not sure that he does guiding, but may know people that do.

philipivan 08 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

I did some great multi pitch sport climbing within about an hour or 2 of Santiago with a local guy about 15 years ago. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the crag but pretty sure it was in some kind of national park and we camped. Very nice. Its only a few hours from aconcagua too and you could easily get guided walk into the base camp which I also did at the time. Check the season, because I freezed my ass off when I was there!

OP Martin Hore 09 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Many thanks Becky and Philip. I may send Matt an email. I hadn't thought of Aconcagua base camp. Only problem though might be I'd want to keep going!. A few years ago (70 now) Aconcagua might have been a realistic objective. Sport climbing would be good if I can hook up with partners.

Anyone else with useful knowledge?

Martin

In reply to Martin Hore:

Hi Martin, possibly too far from Santiago for you but the lake district is beautiful. We had a memorable day out on vulcan villarica near Pucon. They allowed us to go guideless but they took some persuading. The town was a great place to stay too. Anyway am very jealous, Chile is an amazing place to visit and the people couldn't be nicer.

sheelba 11 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

Hi Martin

I lived in Santiago for a while happy to help you out if you get in touch. I’ve also got the best guidebook Adventures in central Chile which is impossible to buy now. 

Sam

sheelba 11 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

My friends website has pretty much every major route, there are lot of them in English as well now 

http://www.wikiexplora.com/Trekking_Chile

OP Martin Hore 11 Mar 2021
In reply to sheelba:

Many thanks indeed Sam. Our plans are pretty provisional at present. Could I email you when we have something more definite - probably early Autumn.

Martin

sheelba 12 Mar 2021
In reply to Martin Hore:

No problem 

Sam

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...