UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: T.Rex, Gogarth

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 12 Mar 2021
T.Rex

In this week's Friday Night Video, Rich Heap and Ben Pritchard of Slackjaw Films follow Ruth Taylor and Trevor Massiah on an ascent of T.Rex at Gogarth. Unfortunately, the first pitch of the Ed Drummond/Extreme Rock classic fell down in 2018, but we can remember it fondly in this lovely, understated film.

Read more
 Chris_Mellor 12 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Hugely enjoyable and straightforward video. Great stuff!  More like this please.

climber34neil 12 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

It's great,  now how about featuring the alun Hughes film of Jim jewell soloing t rex ?

TheGeneralist 13 Mar 2021
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Hugely enjoyable and straightforward video. Great stuff!  More like this please.

Totally agree. Really enjoyed that.

pneame 13 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Superb. Thx

C Witter 13 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great film but I've seen it before as it's a few years old and it's been floating around for free on the BMC YouTube channel for years. Indeed, it's so old that the route fell down three years ago. Scraping the barrel? Surely there are other new films out? Something not already in our YouTube feeds, preferably!

jon 14 Mar 2021
In reply to C Witter:

> Great film but I've seen it before as it's a few years old and it's been floating around for free on the BMC YouTube channel for years. Indeed, it's so old that the route fell down three years ago. Scraping the barrel? Surely there are other new films out? Something not already in our YouTube feeds, preferably!

I hadn't seen it so I'm quite pleased that UKC was scraping the barrel...

Rick Graham 14 Mar 2021
In reply to jon:

I had not seen it either.

Just wondering if anybody remembers if the crack changed over time prior to collapsing ?

When I did TR in 78, I could almost manage to fist jam the top section  of the layback and got a hex 8? In sideways.

Going down around 2011, I was horrified how wide and unprotected without 5 or 6 cams it would be.

No need to get inside, I recall in 78, there was a pillar with holds on the left wall low down.

C Witter 14 Mar 2021
In reply to jon:

Well, if we're proceeding on the basis of what you've not seen... We can keep the Friday Night Vids section going for a few months by recycling all the greatest hits of the BMC YouTube channel... Can we have that one about Charlie Woodburn going to Skye next? It's only 2 years old - still fresh.

In reply to C Witter:

Considering the number of people that clearly hadn't seen the film (myself included) and have since enjoyed it, I'd say you're being quite cynical. Perhaps the Friday Night Video slot isn't solely directed at you each week?

C Witter 14 Mar 2021
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

> Considering the number of people that clearly hadn't seen the film (myself included) and have since enjoyed it, I'd say you're being quite cynical. Perhaps the Friday Night Video slot isn't solely directed at you each week?

I never said it was about me, Nick, so don't be nasty. I said it was about recycling the BMC Youtube feed. I agree, it's a nice video.

jezb1 14 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

I like the fact this slot revisits some old videos! 

That said I watch a lot of stuff on YT but had never stumbled across this one, I enjoyed it

Rab6t 14 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed the video as it's a change from seeing top grade stuff that I am unlikely to climb. So having videos of mid range stuff and getting a bit of beta is cool. Thanks.

Enty 15 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for that. I'd not seen it either. Never got round to doing T-Rex. Always fancied a bash at that first pitch. Oh well.

E

In reply to UKC News:

As per the various other comments, I hadn't seen this before either - despite the fact I'm pretty much plugged into these sorts of things day in, day out.

Really is a crying shame that the first pitch has fallen down. It was a good example of one of those unconventional pitches that no matter how much you can deadhang, or how much training you had done, none of it would help you do that highly unorthodox move out of the chimney and into the layback. 3D wackiness at it's absolute best, weirdest and most awkward.

Whilst we're on topic, here's a shameless plug for the Lost Rock article I wrote a few years back, which features a variety of 'Lost Rock' and 'Ticking Clock' routes/features. I just noticed that Castle Rock of Triermain is still on 'Ticking Clock', so that needs amending now too.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/features/lost_rock-11025

Post edited at 09:44
 Paul Sagar 15 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Enjoyed that enormously! Hadn't seen it before either. The only downside? Made me miss Gogarth sooooo much

PaulJepson 15 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

It's got to be great to climb with Trev. I've only met him briefly but he seems to just have one of those personalities; safe, fun and confidence-inspiring. 

tehmarks 15 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

I'd not seen it (still haven't actually, but plan to watch it tonight) and I'm really glad it's been featured here.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...