UKC

Help with Salomon Speedcross 5 sizing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stormylolol 15 Mar 2021

Hello all,

Im looking to get a pair of Salomon S/C 5 trainers to use for running and walking and was hoping to get some insight as to how they fit as the outdoors stores arent open to try them on!

I normally wear a size UK 8 in all my shoes and have also found that these tend to fit half a size small? The issue being that they are quite narrow. I think the best comparison shoe I have would be the Hoka Sky Kaha which fits me pretty much perfectly in a size 8.

If I were to buy the SC 5 would i be best just going half a size up, or would i be able to get a size 8 in the wide version - I.e are the lengths similar even if the shoe is narrower?

Thanks

Kryank 15 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

hi there,

in true UKC style I think I am about to answer none of your question here, I have a pair of SC4 (that I love) they fit snug but really well and comfortable in my normal 10.5 UK (45 EU).

i realise this is the previous model but I don’t think they have changed sizing that much, funnily enough I am looking to replace mine at the moment, but thinking of moving over to the Speedgoat 4 for better cushioning and the Vibram sole.

hope any of that helps, probably doesn’t, as I am talking about my experiences with a completely different shoe, but hey ho I tried! 

you will hopefully get some better answers soon! 😂

Ben Farley 15 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I went up half a size in my speedcross, the toes were too tight in my usual size. Didn’t know about a wide version but I would personally feel them necessary since half a size bigger works so well. Super comfortable since, my favourite trail shoes.

Post edited at 21:06
 Chriswhoruns 15 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I’ve had SC’s 3, 4 and 5. The 5’s as the roomiest yet, I’m usually 10.5 to 11 and currently have size 11 in my current 5’s. 

jethro kiernan 15 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I feel like Salomon changed their running shoe last a few years back as I felt they came up a quarter size too small suddenly a few years ago, I would have put it down to a change on myself but a few others said the same thing. Generally I was getting speed cross in my usual size nine, I’m going to wait for a try before you buy as I really like the speedcross and will be disappointed if they don’t fit anymore.

Sealwife 15 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I have a pair - same size as street shoes.  I do have fairly narrow, low-volume feet though

OP stormylolol 15 Mar 2021
In reply to Kryank:

No that is actually a very valid answer, thank you for your comment! I was considering the SG4 but I was put off by the colours a little and they seem somewhat similar to my sky Kaha so thought I'd be better off going for something rather different to prevent overlap/redundancy. From what I've read they are a great shoe though and are apparently a better all rounder to some people's eyes.

There's lots of SC4 for sale cheap second hand on FB marketplace but I think it's probably better for me in the long term to get a pair of 5s (meaning I should probably try em on!)

OP stormylolol 15 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

Thank you everyone, getting some quite contrasting views to a couple running/outdoors groups on Facebook! I think I best wait to try them on, otherwise I'll probably be ordering 3 or 4 pairs of shoes only to return them...

It seems that more people here think they're TTS but I have no way of really accurately measuring how wide my feet are for reference. From what I have read the Salomon fit similar to hoka in length but not width so to get a similar fit I was thinking go size wide size 8 so they fit me perfectly how I like!

Wheelsy 16 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I wear Hoka Evo Speedgoats and ordered some Speedcross 5s and the difference was considerable. The best way too describe it was it was like trying to cram my feet into a sub from Subway - they were so narrow. 5s are meant to be wider than 4s, so I can only imagine what they would have been like. The difference in drop was really noticeable too. I think the Evos are 4mm and the Speedcross 10mm so they felt like wearing high heels (or what I imagine wearing high-heeled feels like!) 

Lrunner 16 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I'm a ten and I go to 11.5 for speed crosses. I've wide feet. Even now they feel a bit snug but they do bag out after about 100miles for me. 

Defo go  up a size I'd say

TMM 16 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I used to wear SC4s and went through three pairs. I went up half a size on them. I switched to SC5s and gave up on them after 50k as they crippled my achilles. Maybe they would have worn in but I was not prepared to compromise my running and have that discomfort for sake of someone else's poor design. Now running in Hoka Speedgoats and Saucony Xodus for off road and trail and no problems with either.

ranger*goy 16 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

I’ve had 1 Pair SC3 and I think 3 pairs of SC4. Just purchased SC5 and they are noticeably more roomy at the front. I can’t really comment on the sizing because I am female and buy the mens in a size 7. The women’s version never felt right when I tried them on.

wbo2 22 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:bit late sorry, but I find Speedcross fit true to size, though my newest is a 3.  In contrast my Hokas run small to size, although I haven't tried Speedgoats. 

Note that the speedboat will feel very different,  and Speedgoats vary a lot between models apparently 

Dark-Cloud 22 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

Not tried the SC5's but i go up half a size from street in the 4's

SouthernSteve 22 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

The 5s, are just slightly broader than the 4, as well as being a little more aggressive in terms of the sole. I wear an 11 in all Salomon (Speedcross 4 & 5 and Sense Glide and previous), but 10.5 in everything else (e.g. Brooks).

Some of this difference is that I have wide (but not superwide feet). However when trying on the wide version, the width was not where I wanted it and although there was that good width for the toes, they were very loose around the midfoot and heel and were a bit of disaster.

HTH, shoes are always so individual

OP stormylolol 23 Mar 2021
In reply to stormylolol:

Hello everyone, quick update! I got the shoes (arrived today) and the width of the 8.5 is good but im feeling the length is slightly too long so ive ordered the 8 in the wider version to see how i fare with those and will return whichever Im not as much of a fan of.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...