UKC

SKILLS: Ballet Exercises for Climbers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 16 Mar 2021

Rosie Mackley takes flight.

Professional dancer and keen climber Rosie Mackley shares some ballet drills that can help to improve your coordination, control, mobility and flexibility for climbing.

This article provides some of my own reflections and also thoughts from others about its benefits as a means of cross-training for rock climbers, with nothing more required than something to hold on to and a little bit of space. I hope that there is a future for ballet within the climbing environment beyond the pandemic and that it will become a regular part of a training plan for any level of athlete.

Read more

Yanis Nayu 16 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

What a great article!

nniff 16 Mar 2021

Wasn't Joyce Bracht a ballet dancer (I have a feeling she's the late Joyce Bracht)?  Front cover Mountain 97, cruising up Genesis.  There was an article about her then I think.  'Well developed musculature' sums her up well.   I think she had a nasty abseiling accident with Coral Bowman.  All going back some decades now.

In my formative years, I watched a guy soloing on Stanage with the most exquisite poise and balance. He was a ballet dancer, and it showed.

Post edited at 15:32
 steveriley 16 Mar 2021

There's a great story I think from 'The Games Climbers Play' on this. Effete guy strips off his cape (really) and totally schools the regulars, Leeds Wall 80s?

One of the staff at the Boulder Hut is a relatively new climber, ex professional dancer - very fast improver. Also does a bit of online dance coaching, looks interesting.

Bob Kemp 16 Mar 2021
In reply to steveriley:

I seem to remember this was a Dennis Gray piece?

Sean_J 16 Mar 2021
In reply to Bob Kemp:

Yes, from Slack - the fun of climbing vol 2

Ian Parsons 16 Mar 2021
In reply to nniff:

I think she had a nasty abseiling accident with Coral Bowman.  All going back some decades now.

Coral Bowman's near miss on The Naked Edge [1978] was with Sue Giller.

Derek Ryden 17 Mar 2021

So as soon as I did the exercise my trousers ripped all the way down the bum. Is this meant to happen?

deepsoup 17 Mar 2021

That's a great article.

Also slightly poignant for Sheffield climbers of a certain age because it inevitably brings back memories of Rachel Farmer.  She was also a dancer and an amazing climber with some hugely impressive achievements already under her belt when she died far too young. (Jeez - 28 years ago yesterday!)  Who knows what she might have gone on to achieve.

mike123 18 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC Articles: great interesting article and the videos are very well presented . It’s always best to be open  to new ideas and It s much easier to stretch watching a video than on your own . I’m going to give it a go . Well done Rosie .

heleno 18 Mar 2021

Very interesting article.  Only last week my physio, who is also an occasional climber, mentioned ballet exercises (and specifically demi-plies in second) to help with knee problems.

sjminfife 18 Mar 2021
In reply to deepsoup:

I don't let my copy of "Face Dancing" out of my site, it is far too precious.

"Bonjour je m'appelle Rachel"

penny.orr 18 Mar 2021

Love this! I grew up climbing and dancing, and I agree that there are loads of crossover skills involved. A well-written article, too! Thanks, Rosie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...