UKC

A Berdorf question about top rope soloing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 RR 18 Mar 2021

Does anyone know anything about where (which sectors, which routes) in Berdorf top rope soloing is allowed and/or where top rope ankers are in place??

I'm doing some sorting out since in some of the sectors topping out is forbidden, there doesn't appear to be any info of the top rope ankers and the routes. I can't find any information in the most recent topo (climbing Berdorf 2nd edition)

If anyone does know of it, please let me know? Any help (where to find it) would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,

RR

Carless 18 Mar 2021
In reply to RR:

I have a feeling that you're not allowed to topout anywhere now (which is a pity as some of the topouts were great)

Also accessing the chains from above would probably be frowned upon

Maybe ask on climbing.lu or flera.lu

In reply to RR:

I'm sure you've thought of this, but can you stick clip your way up the route to the anchor?

Also, I'd never heard of Berdorf. A quick Google later, and I'm impressed! It's been added to my list....which just seems to be getting longer!

Carless 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Wide_Mouth_Frog:

Berdorf is fabulous: well worth several visits

Have you heard of all the stuff in Alsace? Years worth of good climbing

http://www.escalade-alsace.com/falaise/intro-falaise.php

gravy 18 Mar 2021
In reply to Carless:

IIRC the anchors in Berdorf aren't usually accessible from above

Carless 18 Mar 2021
In reply to gravy:

Agreed - you'd have to use a rope off the old anchors or trees which would definitely be exceedingly frowned upon

Post edited at 17:21
 ian caton 18 Mar 2021
In reply to RR:

Never seen anybody doing that there and it is a busy place. 

OP RR 18 Mar 2021
In reply to RR:

@ all

Thank you.

Last year, I have seen people solo top roping in Berdorf. We were there - bottom up climbing for just a day - 9 routes. It is single pitch, that is why I am thinking about top rope solo.

As for other climbing areas, elsewhere, for some sectors it is not allowed to top out and is asked to rappel (fair enough to protect plants). I can imagine the same might be applicable to for some sectors in Berdorf. I don’t want to harm nature and follow the local “law”, that is why I am asking and being by myself this time.

Harald 20 Mar 2021
In reply to RR:

Sectors Isatis, Gentiane and Bleausard are partly approachable from the top since the path on top of the cliff goes all the way to the edge of these sectors and there is no vegetation cover/earth. On the other sectors getting to the top and rapping or rigging a rope by foot is prohibited:

- since there are always other climbers and walkers standing/walking at the base of the cliff.

- to avoid damage to the trees and vegetation

- to avoid erosion.

- to avoid climber paths leading silly tourists to dangerously sloping ground.

Stick clipping your way up the route to the anchor is a very easy option that should work on all routes since the bolts are solid an never far apart. 

- There’s a new guidebook which can be bought at the campsites.

- Do not use tree’s for anchors.

- Avoid the weekends. Way to busy.

Post edited at 07:09
OP RR 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Harald:

Thank you Harald,

It is just in “emergency” that one should toprope solo.

A TIP on how to get your rope down.
Do NOT throw your rope down screaming: Rope, Seil, Tow, Corde or what ever.
Feed your rope in your bag to begin with. Put the bag on your belay loop and abseil down, feeding the rope as you descent. In that way you avoid to hinder others climbing bottom up and avoid rock fall.

The new topo can also be obtained by Federation d’escalade de Luxembourg and probably by the CAB.

In reply to Carless:

Dammit, I'm going to need another piece of paper for my list now!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...