UKC

Family Tent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Exile Ward 20 Mar 2021

Eldest son wants to buy a big(ISH) family Tent for the 4 of them to use for the next 10 years. He favours poly cotton, and maybe even pneumatic... Anyone got any recommendations?

Wainers44 20 Mar 2021
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

> Eldest son wants to buy a big(ISH) family Tent for the 4 of them to use for the next 10 years. He favours poly cotton, and maybe even pneumatic... Anyone got any recommendations?

10 years? Soulpad bell tent.  Beautiful and a lovely family space. 

Pneumatic for 10 years? Not sure if that's reasonable?

Philip 20 Mar 2021

I bought a Coleman Spruce Falls as a family tent last year. Didn't use it outside our own garden in the end as no family camp for scouts last year. Seems a good quality tent.

mountainbagger 20 Mar 2021

Berghaus Air 6 or Air 8. So far so excellent. Have had it a few years. Not heavily used but no signs of wear.

I prevaricated over polycotton for a while but in the end went with air as both air and polycotton was breaking the bank.

I believe I made the right decision...it might just be luck in terms of the weather when I've been camping but I've never felt uncomfortable in it, whereas I have been somewhat self-satisfied when I've pitched up quicker than others

rsc 21 Mar 2021

We’ve got a Robens poly cotton Vista 500. I don’t think they do that model anymore, but it’s lasted 10 years or more with plenty of use in it yet. Poly cotton is much, much nicer to be in than nylon/polyester, rain or shine. But as I’m sure you know, if you have to pack it away wet, you’ve got a problem on your hands.

I’ve never had an air tent but I’ve helped rescue one or two on windy campsites!

maxsmith 21 Mar 2021

I own a 4m cotton bell tent (heavy cotton maybe 340gsm) which is amazing and completely indestructible. It's been going 15 years so far with no leaks or reproofing and I fully expect to still be using it in the year 2050.

However, with three kids it's becoming slightly too cramped so I'm looking at upsizing to a 5m bell tent or equivalent sized Touareg (with bell tents you lose a lot of usable space in the eaves, the touaregs are better for this).

If space was not a problem I would always favour cotton canvas (durable, breathable, keeps you cool on hot days and warm on cold) but am now considering polycotton to help with packing the car. Hope some of this is of use!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...