UKC

New car question/opinions!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 abr1966 23 Mar 2021

I'm looking to get a new car...

Either a Golf probably 2017/2018 or a Series 3 estate probably 2016/2017....I like them both and need to test drive when we can again but any opinions? 

Also the Golf has a 1.4 or 1.5 engine...any experiences, I can't help think that a 1.4 seems a bit small? Likewise the BMW can come in a 1.5 petrol which I worry will be underpowered or will not last a long time (I tend to keep cars for 10 years or more usually). Any experiences/views/opinions greatly received...

In reply to abr1966:

I have a 2014 Golf with 1600 cc diesel engine, which I think is the same series as the 2016/17 you are thinking about. Excellent, reliable car; no frills; still does 65 mpg regularly, and I have even got over 70 mpg on some long journeys. It feels more solid on the road and more like a larger car, than most of the vehicles of its size. The French-designed diesel in that model is much better than the German diesel in the previous series. I had one of those, I think with a 1400 cc engine, and it was a bit lame. The 1600 has better power and about 10 mpg better mileage.

rj_townsend 23 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Engine technology has changed massively and quickly over the past decade. A modern 1.4 is a world of difference to a, say, 2005 or 2008 one. For something Golf or 3 Series sized a 1.4 petrol will be fine for pretty much everything. I’ve been using 1.6 diesels for the past decade which have all been fine motorway cruisers, even fully-loaded.

colinakmc 23 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Don’t think there’s much difference in price between a 318 and a 320....the BMW is mega solid and will still feel new when your golf is getting old and baggy. My local one man garage reckons there’s no comparison.

Si dH 23 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Having had a 10-reg BMW and then a 64-reg Skoda of on-paper very similar spec, the BMW was in practice much better. The engine, ostensibly almost identical but with lower claimed mpg, actually did more mpg and was also slightly quicker.  I tend to think of a Golf as just an Octavia with a smaller boot and fancier upholstery, but I'm sure someone might disagree.

If the boot was big enough I would have a BMW every time, no doubt.

wert 23 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I find it useful to read what Honest John has to say.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/

In reply to Si dH:

>I tend to think of a Golf as just an Octavia with a smaller boot and fancier upholstery, but I'm sure someone might disagree.>

A lot of people on here would say that is very high praise, but I think you intended it as an insult?

Snyggapa 23 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Petrol or Diesel? modern engines get a lot more power to the cc than older ones. often by dropping cylinders and adding turbochargers.

So the 3 cylinder 1.2 petrol Citroen I used to have has about the same power as the 1.6 Golf GTI that I had as a company car 25+ years ago.

Basically less (bigger) cylinders = less friction at the expense of more "wobbling" . Modern computer control is able to control the wobble on a 3 cylinder engine these days.

Whether that will be more reliable is a matter to be determined in 10 years time... My guess is - probably not.

Tom Valentine 24 Mar 2021
In reply to mountain.martin:

You can't insult a Skoda driver. Most of their parents were brought up on Jim Davidson jokes so the  progeny have an inherent immunity to stuff like that

65 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

If you going to test-drive, try the VW first. If you try the BMW first you will buy it.

nikoid 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I would go for a diesel. I'm not a fan of this trend towards small low torque petrol engines that have to be revved to make their power. They'll be putting motorcycle engines in cars next! In fact they already have, my wife has a 900cc twin in her car. (Fiat 500).

Si dH 24 Mar 2021
In reply to mountain.martin:

> >I tend to think of a Golf as just an Octavia with a smaller boot and fancier upholstery, but I'm sure someone might disagree.>

> A lot of people on here would say that is very high praise, but I think you intended it as an insult?

Neither - more an explanation of why I was giving a reply to a question about a golf despite that I'm talking about an Octavia.

I like my Octavia, it's a good car. However, if I didn't need the boot space I would definitely buy a BMW in preference. As per my post, the one I had was a better car all round. Unfortunately though they have small boots.

lorentz 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I was in a similar place a few weeks back. Like you I hold on to cars for a decade or so.

I just got a VW Touran... Like you I was looking for either BMW or VW estate size car for dogs and family etc. I also worried that a 1.4 petrol engine would feel underpowered in an MPV sized car. It hasn't felt like that at any point yet, but to qualify, I haven't done any fully-laden journeys since I only picked it up.

Like you I also had reservations about 3 cylinder 1.5 petrol BMW engines. I ended up going with the Touran for its slightly higher ride height (better view of the road ahead and I start feel really uncomfortable being low slung on long journeys) and also for the ability to fold both rear rows of seats flat into the floor to create an almost van like rear space which is useful. So far no one has mistaken me for their Uber but it'll probably happen at some point.

I'm hoping this will be my last ever petrol car  and that the range on electrics will improve to the point that they'll be practical for my work patterns of frequent long return journeys in a day to various places around the country.

I also seriously looked at 2017/8 Passat GTEs (petrol/hybrid). They get good reviews & they have decent rear bootspace despite the battery. They're capable of some great MPG figures with the battery assisting the 1.4 engine on long journeys. (20 mile range on battery only.) They were slightly over budget but I just could not find one. Every one I enquired about had either just sold or was the other side of the country.

As another tip... I had to get the car in a hurry as mine was on its last legs and I need  to drive long distances for work. I was able to do a test drive. I had to ring ahead and put down a refundable 100 quid deposit to do so. Not all dealerships are offering this though.

Happy shopping.

wintertree 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

>  I can't help think that a 1.4 seems a bit small?

You raise a good point.  Quite a few 5.2 litre RHS Mustang GTs with Cat-S write off status going on Autotrader, for the price conscious believer in displacement...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&postcode=ne490ae...

I've got a 2010 3-Series and I'm very happy with it.  Diesel, which is a problem.  Mechanically solid, some computer module glitches.  Dilemma over replacing it with a petrol, or holding on to it until we can sensibly make both cars EVs which is probably > 5 years away.  If I don't replace it, remap + fit an LSD?  The more recent model years annoy me with more chaotic dashboard displays and computer monitors.

Post edited at 10:05
 Jamie Wakeham 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

My 2012 Yeti had the VAG 1.2TSi engine. I only found it underpowered on long uphills with for people and all their kit in the car. For all normal purposes it was fine.

Qwerty2019 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

If i were buying a new/second hand car at the moment i wouldnt be worrying as much about cc's as i would about its Euro classification in relation to Low Emission Zones.  It is going to be very prevelant in the next few years and may just be the difference between keeping a car for 10 years or binning it with a huge reduction in value in a couple of years.  I havent got the list i was given but its is going to be a major issue over the next 5 years and i honestly believe it will be a major government ploy to raise capital to try to balance some books.  The environmental benefits will be a welcome side effect imo.

For reference we run Mercedes co cars.  My staff have gone from 2.1l Diesels to 1.4l petrol/hybrids.  Not one of them has complained about performance, they are in fact much quicker.  They have massively reduced their tax bills based on co2 emissions and if they actually use the electric they either have cheaper running or extremely fast (The electric motor practically doubles output).  Even without the electric they were reporting back extremely good fuel economy from the modern, smaller turbo charged engines.

I sell commercial vehicles and as such LEZ is huge for us.  We have identical vehicles being registered at the moment which other than a letter different on a COC form are identical.  In 5 years time one could be practically useless, the other valuable as they will be either Heavy Duty (Pay LEZ) or Light Duty (Exempt or lower charge).  A similar situation will start to play out all over the country with cars too.

Worth considering alongside which is more fun to drive

Forest Dump 24 Mar 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019:

Is the Euro classification widely available / easy to find for most models?

Qwerty2019 24 Mar 2021
In reply to Forest Dump:

This is a pretty good guide.  I didnt realize how difficult it was to find out (I just spec check mercs on my computer)

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/emissions/euro-emissions-standards/

Its also on your V5C

Post edited at 10:57
 Michael Hood 24 Mar 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019:

There are tables and tables of stuff that can be downloaded from .gov.uk after a bit of searching - sometimes finding your model is difficult because several trim levels may be "tested" together.

graeme jackson 24 Mar 2021
In reply to wintertree:

> >  I can't help think that a 1.4 seems a bit small?

> You raise a good point.  Quite a few 5.2 litre RHS Mustang GTs with Cat-S write off status going on Autotrader, for the price conscious believer in displacement...

I like the look of that yellow and black one. Wonder what's been damaged cos the bodywork looks spotless.

wintertree 24 Mar 2021
In reply to graeme jackson:

> I like the look of that yellow and black one.

The GT or the EcoBoost?  Sadly the GT is an automatic so back to waiting for me...

> Wonder what's been damaged cos the bodywork looks spotless.

I like the way you think...

Swig 24 Mar 2021
In reply to abr1966:

I test drove an Octavia with 1.4 petrol and it was fine.  

I've got a 1.5 petrol Skoda Superb and don't think it is underpowered. Obviously it's subjective. If you are used to diesels the petrol might feel a bit different as well. 

There was a glitch with the 1.5 which is probably on Honest John website it was fixed by a software update shortly after I got the car. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...