UKC

Ultra Light weight sleeping bag for cycling

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
J1234 24 Mar 2021

Now I am not tough, so I will not be going cycle touring when its very cold, and if it gets cold I will be in a hotel.
Also as I am not tough I want to minimise weight, make it as easy as possible.
I do not like mummy sleeping bags.
I am a cold sleeper, in fact I use bed socks, told you I am not tough.
The two sleeping bags I fancy are 

has anyone any personal experience of these or can they suggest alternatives please?

Did I mention I am not tough?

99ster 24 Mar 2021
J1234 24 Mar 2021
In reply to 99ster:

Thank you, no idea why you have got a dislike there as PHD is an excelent company.

Sadly those are a little bit pricey for me, but are very lightweight.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Post edited at 10:47
 tomsan91 24 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

Not sure how much you are looking at spending on the bag but the decathlon Forclaz 900 zero degree bag comes in at 945g in the large size. Seen good reviews from some of the smaller wild camping youtubers. It is a mummy bag but for £140 it seems like an alright deal if that's not a complete no go, think I might try and pick one up if they put them in the sale, not had much use for another bag at the moment.

Post edited at 10:43
J1234 24 Mar 2021
In reply to tomsan91:

Thank you, problem is thats a Mummy bag, however I will have another look at Decathlon rectangular bags, which is all the Alpkit is.

I already have a https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cotton-sleeping-bag-for-camping-arpenaz-0-cot... which is lush and I highly recommend for Car camping or use in Huts.

In reply to J1234:

Have you tried doubling up? I haven't tested this yet but hear me out- I have a 5 degrees synthetic bag that is square and quite light, the plan is to pair this with a down Alpkit quilt that I will put inside and use over the top of me to keep (hopefully) toasty through the night. A silk liner could also provide a few more degrees warmth. 

J1234 24 Mar 2021
In reply to Boris\'s Johnson:

Thanks, but I suspect the problem then could be bulk, having said that I have kind of gone down that route. I have ordered the Alpkit one as in warm weather I can use unfolded as a quilt, and at the colder end I can sleep in a down jacket to keep my shoulders warm as the only issue for me with Alpkit is lack of hood.

Dave Cundy 24 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

When i'm cycle touring, i use a fleece balaclava with my quilt.  I think it works really well, has much less bulk/weight than the hood of a sleeping bag and can also be used in the evenings.  Multi-function is king

Run_Ross_Run 25 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

Thought about a quilt rather than bag?

I've just got a Thermarest vesper 0 deg quilt. Good for spring/summer use and weighs in at around 450gms.

Matched to a decent sleeping mat and you've got a really good setup. 

TobyA 25 Mar 2021
In reply to J1234:

You've rather set up a series of incompatible parameters for your perfect bag there...! Bags are mummy shaped because that shape is more thermally efficient and lighter than a rectangular bag. 

It sounds like a quilt might be the best option, but of course if you stick your feet out from under it, they'll get colder! The Alpkit rectangular bag says its OK down to 0, but its 770 grams. This bag goes down easily enough to 0 oC also but weighs 500 grams https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_bags/lightwave_firelight_2... and this one also to freezing at just 460 grams https://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/camping/sleeping_bags/therm-a-rest_hyperion.... I'm sure the Alpkit one would be proportionately bulkier to pack too.

Post edited at 23:00
J1234 26 Mar 2021
In reply to Run_Ross_Run:

Thank for the suggestion. I have a Thermarest Pro 4 or something, had it for years. The Alpkit could be used as a quilt.

TBH this Bike Touring is all new to me and I am trying to utilise stuff we have, and we are short one lightweight sleeping bag.

J1234 26 Mar 2021
In reply to TobyA:

thanks for the suggestions, I understand what you say but I sleep poorly in a mummy bag, so back size and weight are ultimately irrelevant if I cannot get to sleep.

The pack size of the Alpkit seems to be compare to a bottle of wine on the Alpkit video, though oddly Alpkit do not appear to quote a packed dimensions.

Also the ones you suggest are rather expensive and I might not get on with bike touring as I am not very tough

I have ordered the Alpkit one and will see how I get on. I have had excellent experience with Alpkit with the few pieces I have bought, Down Jackets and Sleeping bags, with only one duff item, but it was a cheap head torch, so value for money, I got what I paid for.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...