UKC

NEWS: Tokyo 2020 - 100 Days to Go

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 14 Apr 2021

Today (14 April) marks 100 days to go until the Opening Ceremony of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, where Sport Climbing will make its Olympic debut. Postponed by a year due to the pandemic, the Games will be held with no overseas spectators, reduced media attendance and with a range of COVID-19 protocols in place, in accordance with the latest playbooks. If you're starting to feel the Olympic spirit, check out our UKC Tokyo 2020 athlete profile database and make your own predictions.

Read more

snoop6060 15 Apr 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Shauna Coxey is sponsored by Aldi Does she get free german cheese and stuff? I do wonder if other budget supermarkets are looking on and thinking about entering the climbing market. I could see Alex Megos getting a farmfoods deal for sure. 

Michael Hood 15 Apr 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

Somehow, I can imagine Adam Ondra advertising something like Lidl or Farmfoods more than I can see Alex Megos doing it. IMO Adam's overfast talking and enthusiasm somehow seems to fit the budget supermarket zeitgeist.

Qwerty2019 15 Apr 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

Isnt it more a case of GB olympic team are sponsored by Aldi and so she is part of the team?

snoop6060 15 Apr 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019:

Dunno. Maybe they all get free german cheese and those fancy wagyu burgers every now and again . Sure beats redbull. Well, apart from the pay cheque probably. 

Fatal 15 Apr 2021
In reply to snoop6060:

Not Aldi.

Aldiük.

Sounds turkish.

Free turkish cheese ?

Post edited at 20:41
 Red Rover 16 Apr 2021
In reply to UKC News:

I can't see the games going ahead to be honest. Even without an auience the games would need thousands or tens of thousands of people. There could be a significant number of false negative test results in such a number.

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/japans-olympics-minister-hopes-tor...

And this news from the FT yesterday:

"Four more Japanese prefectures are set to impose new “Stage 3” coronavirus controls as cases of the virus continue to rise across the country.

The prefectures of Saitama, Chiba and Kanagawa, which are part of the Greater Tokyo conurbation, and Aichi — which includes the city of Nagoya — will join Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Hyogo and Miyagi in adopting the higher level of controls.

The change means that most of Japan’s biggest cities have reimposed restrictions less than a month after a previous state of emergency, categorised as “Stage 4” in Japan’s system, came to an end."

Post edited at 07:30
Removed User 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

I wonder too. The Tokyo government has walked a pretty half-assed path since the start. They go through good phases when they curb things like evening trade, so they lift the restrictions and it surges back - a couple of times round that circuit is wearing thin.

There's a surge currently, though this time more evenly across the country, not just Tokyo metro area, and vax roll out is really slow. I have a feeling the games will be a token affair.

Michael Gordon 16 Apr 2021
In reply to Red Rover:

Contrary to my prediction earlier in the year, I think the games will go ahead. It's just unfortunate that the host country is unlikely to benefit from it and there seems little appetite for it from the people. And given the current situation there, an Olympic torch 'relay' across the country sounds like a very bad idea which is almost guaranteed to backfire.

Removed User 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> And given the current situation there, an Olympic torch 'relay' across the country sounds like a very bad idea which is almost guaranteed to backfire.

Already underway a few weeks - started in Fukushima right by the reactor.

felt 17 Apr 2021
In reply to Qwerty2019:

> Isnt it more a case of GB olympic team are sponsored by Aldi?

Gonna put Cav in a tricky position if he goes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...