UKC

Cows Mouth Quarry - Bolts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greg_may_ 17 Apr 2021

Cow's Mouth Quarry Out for a run/climb today and noticed that three new bolts have been placed at the top of the slab on the LHS of the crag. There are ample natural belays to use.

Looks like they are set to facilitate top roping and probably abseiling. 

There are some lovely routes there that will get destroyed by continuous feet on this slab. And why place them on when there are plenty of decent placements!

teddy 17 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

I agree, no new bolts are needed here. Its a grit trad crag (aware one old bolt used to exist on Daytona Wall in the distant past)

OP greg_may_ 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

I don't use FriendFace. Sorry.

Either way, bolts should not be there bar the old caving bolt holes. I'm not going to be out that way for at least a week. I've no idea what size spanner to take the hangers off.

Andy Say 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

We had the same thing at Woodhouse Scar a couple of decades ago.  I let it go until a lower-off appeared on a Diff 🙄

I removed the bolts and filled the holes.

That's what should happen here.

Andy Say 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

When you say 'at the top of the slab' are they on the slab face itself or back from the edge?

Any idea what sort of bolts? If it's just a spanner job and fill the holes I can get up there soon.

OP greg_may_ 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Andy Say:

If you’re looking at the crag from the path - it’s the slab in the left hand side. The right hand side of Cornett (D). They are in the top, back from the edge. Set up to set anchors.

I think they are spanner you take the hanger off, not sure in the thread to remove it. 

There are 3 of them

Post edited at 14:29
 Andy Say 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Lazy!  There ARE anchors.

Socket set and a bit of cement....

Andy Say 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

> If you’re looking at the crag from the path - it’s the slab in the left hand side. The right hand side of Cornett (D). They are in the top, back from the edge. Set up to set anchors.

> I think they are spanner you take the hanger off, not sure in the thread to remove it. 

> There are 3 of them

Just how does that post get a 'dislike'?

🙄

Brad Jackson 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Agreed - these bolts do sound to be unnecessary - there is an enormous great boulder to use as an anchor about 20 feet back from the edge.

OP greg_may_ 18 Apr 2021
In reply to Brad Jackson:

Lots of anchors up there. They are utterly unnecessary indeed.

Albert Tatlock 18 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Unless somebody beats me to it I will be attending Tuesday morning , to photograph the bolts and then removing them.If the person(s) who placed them wishes to attend I will return their unwanted and unnecessary bolts to them.

I have been climbing at Cows mouth for the last 45 years, with out the  need for bolt belays above these slabs.

Albert Tatlock 

Post edited at 19:30
 Andy Say 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Albert Tatlock:

Hangers are off. Unfortunately I couldn't pull the bolt stubs even though they're rotating. Might need an angle grinder for a proper job.  I've capped them with filler and grit as a make-do.

In reply to Andy Say:

I'm not local and am completely unaffected by this, but still want to say thanks.

OP greg_may_ 19 Apr 2021
In reply to Andy Say:

Thanks Andy.

Andy Say 27 Apr 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Les Ainsworth was up at the weekend and finished the job off with an angle grinder.

All gone!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...