UKC

Callow Rocks - wherfore art thou?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 richarda 21 Apr 2021

This page (https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crags/callow_rocks-17502) describes the location. I live nearby and decided to take a look. But try as I might, I couldn't find it. I went twice, second time armed with my mobile phone sat nav GPS. At the very spot described, there's a fence to the working quarry. Unless I've got something very wrong, its either been spirited away to crag heaven or been eaten by the working quarry.

Is there anyone out there who knows if it still exists?

Callow Rocks

Mark Bull 21 Apr 2021
In reply to richarda:

I don't know the area but looking at the OS maps and Google satellite images, it appears the location given on the crag page is out by about 300m - ST448557 or https://goo.gl/maps/4ko9rpj3p6cRS5Xd9 is maybe nearer the mark. 

leland stamper 21 Apr 2021
In reply to richarda:

It does exist and as Mark suggests the map misses the spot by a few hundred metres.Follow the path up from the Shipham Rd and where it bends to the left head up into the woods with the quarry on your right. You shouldn't miss it. It does have a couple of features including A Dream of white goods and the Tower of Seth which is probably vegetated and repelled me utterly when I tried it in the wet. Definitely Mendip Esoteria.

OP richarda 21 Apr 2021
In reply to richarda:

Thanks Mark and leland,

I must have walked right past it which means that it must really be in a dank and dismal spot and nothing like the photos seem to promise! Will take a look when I get a chance and report back.

Thanks

deepstar 21 Apr 2021
In reply to richarda:

Hi Richard, the correct grid reference for Callow Rocks is ST 44774 55742.  I'm sorry you've had difficulty finding the crag. If you follow the description in the crag notes it should take you there. I know this works because I sent it to a mate a couple of weeks ago and they found it, saying 'That blue pipe leads you straight there'  and they were cavers! : ) Callow Rocks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...