UKC

Historic weather data

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tom F Harding 25 Apr 2021

Can anyone recommend a website where you can easily view past weather for remote areas in the Himalayas?  I've found ones that will do it for specific cities/towns but can't find one that has a map allowing you to look anywhere.

Thanks

Removed User 25 Apr 2021
In reply to Tom F Harding:

Meteoblue

wilkesley 26 Apr 2021

Try darksky.io.

OP Tom F Harding 26 Apr 2021

Thanks wairout I hadn't spotted that on Meteoblue. Darksky seems to be an invite only service, the free one only allows you to choose a few major locations.

Removed User 26 Apr 2021

There's a paid option too where you can get 30 years of hourly data for any spot. About $110 so with overall exped costs could well be worth it.

OP Tom F Harding 26 Apr 2021
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

I really rate Meteoblue's five day meteograms so that's definitely worth considering. I've got a rough idea from the free stuff. You may have seen it already but their 'new' map page is great.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/maps

wintertree 26 Apr 2021
In reply to wilkesley:

> Try darksky.io.

Shut down to new users AFAIK since it was purchased by Apple, and set to go.  Crying shame.  

Many online sources tie back to the US GFS which can be accessed directly with a bit of effort - https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/model-data/model-datasets/global-forc... - technically a forecast but the leading edge of historic forecasts is close to a then-now cast.

Removed User 26 Apr 2021

Yes it's really good stuff. Can spend hours just wandering and looking on it. You may also use Windy, which uses MB as one of it's models and also has a great interface.

Wasn't that long ago that this stuff was quite expensive and nearly custom service - we live in a great time. Even the free data graphs MB do is an excellent resource that was pro level until recently.

ianstevens 27 Apr 2021
In reply to Removed Userwaitout:

MB isn’t a model in itself, it’s an aggregator of other models 

wilkesley 27 Apr 2021
In reply to wintertree:

darksky.net seems to work without needing to register. It says it is owned by Apple and looks the same as darksky.io. I am not sure how much data you can view for free. In darksky.io you could view historic data, which was very useful. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...