UKC

PRESS RELEASE: New wall alert: Sheffield bouldering centre featuring replica of Tokyo wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 04 May 2021

New wall alert: an all-new, bouldering centre featuring a replica of the Tokyo wall to launch in Sheffield this year

The Climbing Hangar is bringing a state-of-the-art climbing facility to Sheffield with a Tokyo replica bouldering wall and training centre designed in partnership with Team GB climber Shauna Coxsey MBE.

Read more

ChrisBrooke 04 May 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Anyone got the inside scoop on where this will be located?

Sheffield is feeling pretty well catered for in terms of indoor climbing facilities, between the Works, The Foundry, The Depot, Awesome Walls and now this. 

Andrew Wilson 04 May 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

a peng cafe?

god I feel old.

Mick r 04 May 2021
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

I thought it was a typo.  Is it chinese?

FreshSlate 04 May 2021
In reply to Mick r:

> I thought it was a typo.  Is it chinese?

From Collins Dictionary:

Means 'fit' or 'hot' or 'good-looking'. Can also be used to describe something you like, like food, clothing,etc. Also used to describe high grade weed (cannabis), "That boy is well peng." "This pizza is so nice, it tastes peng." "Your t-shirt is peng" "That's some peng weed"

Andy Hardy 04 May 2021
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

A cafe that sells locally sourced coffee to boot!

Is this the one upside to climate change?

E2A: aside from the pedantry, I wish them good luck with the wall

Post edited at 13:18
 ro8x 04 May 2021
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

Near the big Tesco & Guy Salmon Land Rover. S4 7WW is the Halfords that will be a neighbour to the wall. 

Full info:

https://planningapps.sheffield.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetail...

LakesWinter 04 May 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

Peng. 

ChrisBrooke 04 May 2021
In reply to ro8x:

Thanks Sherlock

thepodge 05 May 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

1100 square metres floorspace, how does that compare to other walls in Sheffield? 

I'm sure I've read what the Depot and Works have but can only find wall sq/m now. 

kevin stephens 05 May 2021
In reply to thepodge:

A quick and rough measure up on Google Earth indicates Sheffield Depot to be around 2,400 m2 floor space

thepodge 05 May 2021
In reply to kevin stephens:

If that's the case then this new place is going to be tiny. 

remus Global Crag Moderator 05 May 2021
In reply to thepodge:

> If that's the case then this new place is going to be tiny. 

Definitely smaller than the depot but tiny is probably an overstatement. The 1100m^2 is just the climbing area of the new TCH whereas Kevin's number is presumably the total footprint of the depot. Worth bearing in mind that the depot is also pretty spaced out, depending on the design of the new TCH they could most likely fit a similar amount of wall in to the space.

By way of another reference point, the original works (i.e. not including the mini works or unit E) is 780m^2 total.

Post edited at 17:37
 remus Global Crag Moderator 05 May 2021
 mcdougal 05 May 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> A cafe that sells locally sourced coffee to boot!

From the coffee fields of Rotherham, no doubt. 

Pedro50 05 May 2021
In reply to mcdougal:

And Yorkshire tea?

thepodge 05 May 2021
In reply to remus:

I'd misread the post and thought 2400 was the Works. 

Hopefully they'll not cram in the same wall space as the Depot, I like the spacious feel. 

deacondeacon 05 May 2021
In reply to UKC Gear:

This will be the fourth big climbing wall, within 1km of each other!  Would be nice to spread them out a bit 🙂

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...