UKC

Climbing in the Peaks for getting back into it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 06 May 2021

As per the title really. Moving to an area with much easier access to the Peaks than I currently have. Haven’t climbed for a good many years, so I’m looking for recommendations for areas with a concentration of easy routes to get back into it. 

Thanks in advance!

full stottie 06 May 2021
In reply to Removed UserOl’ Lardy Punter:

Windgather

mrjonathanr 06 May 2021
In reply to full stottie:

Birchens 

GrahamD 07 May 2021

Stanage

Offwidth 07 May 2021

My favourite is probably Dovestones Edge in the Chew. Birchen can be plain dispiriting to 'returners' at times due to hard starts. Windgather is great but often mobbed. For the Eastern Edges nothing beats Stanage as it's huge and pretty much everything there is worthwhile, so however busy the parking you can still find quiet areas. In the west Ramshaw and Skyline are probably best. Wharncliffe is also excellent in the NE. Most crags have something good. We produced a website to help lower grade leaders which is still a very useful resource (uses Flash so needs a browser that supports that....  we use Puffin).

https://offwidth.uptosummit.com/guides.html

scope 07 May 2021

Peak

Prof. Outdoors 07 May 2021
In reply to scope:

You missed another.

Ratfeeder 08 May 2021
In reply to Prof. Outdoors:

Birchen

Removed User 09 May 2021
In reply to scope:

> Peak

It’s a pretty massive area! I was hoping for  more specific suggestions lol

Jim Lancs 09 May 2021

> Peak

> It’s a pretty massive area! I was hoping for  more specific suggestions lol

I don't think it was a suggestion; more likely an admonishment. 

Post edited at 16:26
 Mick Ward 09 May 2021

Some good advice from people, especially Offwidth. Would check out his site. As he says, Birchens can be dispiriting; some of the starts were polished horrors when I left the Peak, 20 years ago. God knows what they're like now!

Windgather would be great if it's not heaving. (Maybe try the left-hand end?) If you go to Wharncliffe, be sure to get the gear in fast. Often the base is jumbled boulders; emphatically not a place to jump off/deck out.

Lots to do on Burbage. Would go far away from the road/crowds/polish.

Much more to do on Stanage. Would seek out more quiet places.

Wherever you go, good luck! Drop grades, put no pressure on yourself, enjoy yourself. And the joy of it all will come back to you. 

Mick

ModerateMatt 10 May 2021

Buy a guidebook. Eastern Grit is great. Lots of suggestions and beta and it will probably give you more information than a paragraph on here, even with the kind replys above. 

Part of the fun of climbing is exploring. Go suck it and see, you might find some crags don't suit you but that's what climbing is about. 

Andy Hardy 10 May 2021

Which end of the peak will you be nearest to? Makes a difference because it could be a mission getting from (say) Beeston Tor or Pule Hill if you were starting from the wrong end of the park

Pedro50 10 May 2021

My very mild dig at OP appears to have been deleted as have a couple of his earlier posts. Appears to be extreme moderation unless I have missed something. 

Disappointed. 

Removed User 11 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

I don’t think any of mine have been deleted. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Pedro50 11 May 2021

As I recall you made some humorous  remark which was perhaps misunderstood. You claimed you had been on UKC long enough to be entitled to be somewhat flippant. My post pointed out that you had only been a UKC member since September 2020 and were " nowt but a lad" and that you called the Peak the Peaks which is a UKC red card. I was baffled that my post and I think one or two by you were deleted. 

Maybe I have false memory syndrome, never mind life's too short. Good to talk. 

Tom Valentine 11 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

You might be thinking about the noisy motorcycle  thread where OLP criticised the level of debating skills on UKC then showed us how to do it.

Pedro50 11 May 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

You're probably right, mild paranoia I guess. 

Removed User 17 May 2021
In reply to Pedro50:

> As I recall you made some humorous  remark which was perhaps misunderstood. You claimed you had been on UKC long enough to be entitled to be somewhat flippant. My post pointed out that you had only been a UKC member since September 2020 and were " nowt but a lad" and that you called the Peak the Peaks which is a UKC red card. I was baffled that my post and I think one or two by you were deleted. 

> Maybe I have false memory syndrome, never mind life's too short. Good to talk. 

Ah you see, I believe in reincarnation. My most recent incarnation may be nobbut a lad but in a previous life I remember your first appearance...

Removed User 17 May 2021
In reply to Tom Valentine:

> You might be thinking about the noisy motorcycle  thread where OLP criticised the level of debating skills on UKC then showed us how to do it.

That’s one way of looking at it. 

valentinesbabe 18 May 2021

Depending on what grades you usually climb you could do worse than choosing a "ticklist" off here to guide you to decent climbs  

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...