UKC

PRESS RELEASE: A third of Brits have tried a new outdoor activity since lockdown

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC/UKH Gear 07 May 2021

Walking, running, cycling and mountain biking most popular - but climbing, outdoor swimming, hiking and kayaking also rank on the list

Read more

Lankyman 07 May 2021
In reply to UKC/UKH Gear:

Arson and littering seem to be popular

I would suggest a slightly different order for the first 4 tips, plus an extra item.

1. Review your ability

2. Choose a suitable objective

3. Check the weather.

4 Choose the right gear

Then the rest.

Post edited at 12:02
 Ridge 07 May 2021
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

I'd have “Don't be a tw*t and respect the environment” at the top of the list.

Max factor 07 May 2021

How can this possibly be true? 

"Walking was the most popular outdoor activity with almost 9 million Brits (or 17% of adults) trying it for the first time"

deepsoup 07 May 2021
In reply to Max factor:

It's walking as an 'outdoor activity' - they must have only ever walked indoors before.

Pedro50 07 May 2021
In reply to Max factor:

> How can this possibly be true? 

> "Walking was the most popular outdoor activity with almost 9 million Brits (or 17% of adults) trying it for the first time"

Baby steps. 

tjdodd 07 May 2021
In reply to Max factor:

> How can this possibly be true? 

> "Walking was the most popular outdoor activity with almost 9 million Brits (or 17% of adults) trying it for the first time"

It's true.  Just popped into town to get lunch and most people were on their hands and knees crawling.  They had a look of awe in their eyes at the outdoorsy types walking.

S Ramsay 07 May 2021
In reply to Max factor:

There are some other easily disproved statistics in there as well, 6% of people having had to call the emergency services for help. The way its written would suggest that is 6% of the population. In 2017, the most recent year that stats are available for England Wales MR assisted 1722 people.

https://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/2017MREWIncid...

England and Wales has a population of approx 60 million. That works out at about 0.003% of the population being helped by MR per year. If we assume for the sake of argument that the average age of respondent to the survey is 50 then maybe 0.15% of the population have been assisted by mountain rescue in their lifetime. Maybe in the average call out there is a group of three needing help but only one actually needs assistance, that gets it up to 0.45%, and maybe in half of accidents people simply call for an ambulance, that gets it up to 0.9%. 6% to me does not seem credible and therefore I wouldn't trust any of the statistics in this report

wbo2 07 May 2021
In reply to Max factor:

Try the word hiking instead.  But then you'll get a queue of the usual suspects moaning the hiking is a horrible word or similar.

earlsdonwhu 07 May 2021

Dogging?

Removed User 07 May 2021
In reply to tjdodd:

> It's true.  Just popped into town to get lunch and most people were on their hands and knees crawling.  They had a look of awe in their eyes at the outdoorsy types walking.

They were training for the Uxbridge Rd

Removed User 07 May 2021

No mention of dogging? I understand dog ownership increased dramatically during lockdown..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...