UKC

Best all Climbing brand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DWS gibraltar 10 May 2021

I’ve not bought a decent pair of climbing in shoes  in a while except when on offer. I’m getting back into climbing regularly so who is considered  the best brand out there right now?cheers 

tehmarks 10 May 2021
In reply to DWS gibraltar:

The brand that fits your foot.

As the above says, Head to your nearest shop and try loads on!

PaulJepson 10 May 2021

Massively depends on the shape of your foot and what type of climbing you're doing. I only really get on with Scarpa but some people would find their feet slopping around in them. 5:10 and Tenaya are so narrow they would cripple me but loads swear by them. 

Scarpa and La Sportiva are probably the 2 biggest brands in Europe (and probably easiest to get re-soled, if that matters - it does to me).

Marek 10 May 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

... I only really get on with Scarpa but some people would find their feet slopping around in them. 5:10 and Tenaya are so narrow they would cripple me but loads swear by them. 

It's not even brand-related. I generally start a shoe-search with Scarpa/LaSportiva, but my all-time favourites were 5.10 X-Rays even though no other 5.10 shoe fits even remotely. Get what fits - don't worry about the name on the label. 

Michael Gordon 10 May 2021

Apart from what fits, it's more important to consider what you're after in a rock shoe (aggressive vs comfy etc) than the brand per se.

PaulTanton 11 May 2021

dr Martin

Boomer Doomer 11 May 2021

As other have suggested, if the shoe fits...

From your "getting back into climbing" statement I would suggest technical nuances are not that important. Personally, I love 5.10 but that's purely because they fit my feet perfectly. Another reason I favour them is that they don't stretch too much being made from synthetic hide, though other brands may have followed this in recent years. I've never understood why people cram their feet into a size (or two) too small when they are not climbing near the living end, snug and no sloppiness is fine for most people.

Boomer Doomer 11 May 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> As the above says, Head to your nearest shop and try loads on!

Not always an option these days. I was after a pair of walking boots recently and was told I'd reached the limit when I'd tried on 3 pairs. So I went elsewhere. This was last year, so things may have eased off a bit on that front.

PaulTanton 11 May 2021
In reply to PaulTanton:

Or any shoes with a platform sole. The extra inch can really help. 

In reply to Boomer Doomer:

Where are you located?? Plenty of good shops and shops in walls round the UK nowadays!

A limit of 3 sounds like lazy staff personally. 

Michael Gordon 11 May 2021
In reply to Euan McKendrick:

> A limit of 3 sounds like lazy staff personally. 

or staff that don't want to sell anything...

alexjhonmax 12 May 2021

Head to nearest shop.. 

The brand that fits your foot.

nufkin 12 May 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

>  or staff that don't want to sell anything...

Or possibly a ploy to dissuade people from trying on loads of shoes and then buying them off the internet?

Boomer Doomer 12 May 2021
In reply to nufkin:

It was a COVID thing apparently.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...