UKC

ARTICLE: Post-Lockdown Alpine Antics

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 25 May 2021

George Ponsonby recalls post-lockdown adventures in Chamonix...

19th March 2020. Matt and I were packing up to leave Chamonix to head back to Ireland. The hope that this virus thing would only last for a couple of weeks was rapidly dissipating into the ether, kicked out the door by the helicopters the PGHM started sending out above the Chamonix to spot climbers. That and the wartime-esque speech Emmanuel Macron delivered managed to penetrate the bizarre bubble of unreality that surrounds the Chamonix valley and let us know this would probably be a long haul event.

Read more

mrphilipoldham 25 May 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

Brilliant write up, thanks  

MNA123 25 May 2021

Really enjoyed that, good read!

Toerag 26 May 2021

Was Matt's gem actually precious?

RM199 26 May 2021

Really fun article thanks. Captures all the joy and psyke of climbing!

treesrockice 26 May 2021

Great read, excellent. Gawd! I'm missing having not done anything big in the past year!

alexm198 26 May 2021

Superb piece. I've sometimes felt like the alps have torn me a new one, but, er, not like that...

Post edited at 12:31
 henwardian 26 May 2021

Good piece, fun to read and loved the photos.

Though I've got to say that I don't think you'll be long for this world if the descriptions are without exaggeration. One can be lucky and get away with a near-death experience or two each trip but if it's a near-death experience or two each route, well, there is only so much luck to go around...

Albert Tatlock 26 May 2021

The Walker Spur with a ripped anus, Respect.

MrRiley 27 May 2021

A bit of an odd piece for me - the big routes are impressive stuff but the ripping into less competent climbers and the constant near-death experiences (some avoidable perhaps, some not) just leave me feeling a bit hollow and uninspired. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...