UKC

Any dog anatomists on here?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Stichtplate 30 May 2021

Skye reached 6 months old yesterday and while she was lounging across our 5ft wide bed (categorically not allowed on the bed. ever) it was notable that nose and feet were comfortably overhanging on opposite sides.

Now Dad was a largish Doberman and Mum was a smallish Lurcher so we were kind of expecting a dog straddling the line between medium and large. Frankly we’re a little worried we’ve bought a horse.

When is she likely to stop growing? The internet is vague, suggesting anywhere between 7 and 18 months. Hive mind got any more accurate predictions?

Bottom Clinger 30 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

Not a clue, but I’d enter her into the Grand National. 

Michael Hood 30 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

You may need a bigger car

OP Stichtplate 30 May 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

The wife has a sensible largish hybrid thing. As for myself, are horsebox trailers expensive?

SouthernSteve 30 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate: Without a weight and a predictable breed the internet is probably not far off, but the following would be about right. Has she had a season yet?

• about 12 months (small dog)

• about 14-16 months (big dog)

Growth plates close later at 18 months

AND really really don't let her chew sticks.

In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Without a weight and a predictable breed the internet is probably not far off, but the following would be about right. Has she had a season yet?

> • about 12 months (small dog)

> • about 14-16 months (big dog)

> Growth plates close later at 18 months

> AND really really don't let her chew sticks.

Not been in season yet. Maybe 14 months to stop growing? 18 months before we can take her for proper big walks?

...and what’s the deal with the sticks? Forgive my ignorance but I’d always assumed dogs and sticks were kind of a thing?

In reply to Stichtplate:

The age of the season sometimes gives you a bit of a clue the dog is 'grown up' but is also affected by the time of year, nutrition and other genetic factors. My bitch was 2 ½ before her first season as was her mum.

The data for when dogs can exercise hard is quite uncertain (poor evidence base). Not sure I would set an absolute time of 18 months. Dogs of Labrador / GSD /Golden retriever size often play pretty rough and fast spontaneously from a year or so old and don't come to too much harm. Building slowly and not being a weekend warrior just like people is good. And if in future you go running - run-walk means you give the dog an opportunity to stop and for you to observe any problems, although this is obviously a good way off. 

Stick injuries in which bits of stick get stuck in the throat, either through the dog running onto the stick when thrown (most common) or sometimes when they are throwing them around to play can cause pharyngeal abscessation that is quite horrible. That is not to say that 99.9% of dogs come to no harm, but the consequences if there is that foreign body are grim. 

CantClimbTom 30 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

I advise smoking. If the dog can smoke a pack a day it'll effectively stunt further growth. At 12 months you should be able to cut down the dog to only half a pack a day. Beagles were notorious smokers back in the day but a doberlurch should be much easier. Usually you just match the breed, so poodle is Gauloise, Cane Corso should be given MS but Gitane as substitute, Doberman are flexible and Marlboro would do, but due to the mixed breed you would best consult your vet as to what they advise.

Post edited at 17:47

Thanks for taking the time for such a comprehensive and informed reply.

We've tried to follow the 5 minute per month rule but it just doesn’t seem enough for her so have been taking her out and off the lead for short bursts two or three times a day with a fair bit of play in between. Our dog trainer and vet seem happy with this but lots of conflicting stuff on the internet. Obviously, we’d hate to cause her any issues later on.

We don’t do stick throwing but as to chewing I’d previously just looked on it as another thing to distract her from dismantling shoes, furniture,  the house (we’ve been very lucky so far). She has a box full of toys, puppy wood, antlers and since her adult teeth have come through we’ve started her on marrow bones, all of which she’s able to dismantle with startling rapidity... but no more sticks for her.

In reply to CantClimbTom:

Believe me we’ve tried. Just as you say, the Dobie in her prefers a full fat Malboro, but the Lurcher side won’t have anything other than a filthy unfiltered rollie. 
Net result: give her a pack of baccy and some skins and she just turns her nose up but give her a pack of Malboro and she dismantles them and tries to roll her own with the debris 🤷‍♂️

In reply to Stichtplate:

The heavy rope toys might suit, or the classic Kong (tough one for Skye by the look of it). Looking at these pictures I don't think she is going to be huge. Dead cute. 

> The heavy rope toys might suit, or the classic Kong (tough one for Skye by the look of it). Looking at these pictures I don't think she is going to be huge.

Oh believe me, she’s not short of toys of every shape, texture, material and type. She is totally spoilt 😁

>Dead cute. 

Cheers!

Post edited at 18:20

Removed User 30 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

She’s going to outgrow not only your car but your house as well. Out of pure kindness I’ll take her off your hands...

PS no idea about potential size but she is cute as hell! 

In reply to Removed UserOl’ Lardy Punter:

Sorry mate, she’s family now. 

The wife appears to have stopped growing though so dependent on what you might have for swaps; cars, single malts, old copies of On The Edge....

Post edited at 18:52
 streapadair 30 May 2021
In reply to Michael Hood:

> You may need a bigger car

and a bigger sofa. This was Padaidh Deerhound at a bit shy of 10 months.

In reply to streapadair:

Oh my word! Do they come with a saddle?

monkey man 30 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

as previously said small dogs stop growing sooner. 
not sure how certain you are on the breed make up, or how much you care, we did this https://www.wisdompanel.com/en-gb for our mut. 
throw up some at the time very surprising results but now we know - totally correct 

enjoy the puppy and young dog stage, currently readjusting in to the requirements of a geriatric dog but some of my best memories remain with him as a nipper 

65 30 May 2021
In reply to streapadair:

This is the point where ukc needs a ❤️ emoji.

streapadair 31 May 2021
In reply to Stichtplate:

Nah, he prefers giving rides bareback.

Grow up fast, die young, to adapt a phrase. 9 years later and he's on his last legs, won't see out the summer.

Bagged about 20 Munros in his youth. This was on the zig-zags up Stob Choir'Odhar.

OP Stichtplate 31 May 2021
In reply to streapadair:

I'm so sorry to hear he's on his way out but it looks like he was very loved and enjoyed a wonderful life. That's as much as any of us could wish for.

Toerag 01 Jun 2021

>  Stick injuries in which bits of stick get stuck in the throat, either through the dog running onto the stick when thrown (most common)

Also a problem with stiff kelp stalks if you're into walking your dog on the beach.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...