UKC

Making my 45L backpack more comfy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 30 May 2021

I've a Berghaus Arete 45 that I love. However, I would like to make it comfortable.

Do you have any experience in adding extra padding / foam to the shoulder strap and hip belt?

Thank you

Post edited at 17:28
 misterb 30 May 2021
In reply to Removed Userpikadim:

No just buy a new pack mate 

It was never designed for comfort, I've owned one for years

Kalna_kaza 30 May 2021

It's a great pack, my main winter bag for some time now. Normally worn with heavier winter clothing so the padding, or lack of, wasn't an issue. 

I reckon most DIY padding additions aren't going to last long or be satisfactory I'm afraid. 

Removed User 30 May 2021
In reply to misterb:

what would you recommend?

Tony Buckley 30 May 2021

You may love it, but it may not love you.

However, before casting covetous eyes at a replacement, check that you've got it properly adjusted.  In normal circumstances, your shoulders shouldn't be taking the weight of the sac.

olddirtydoggy 31 May 2021

My wife has a Lowe Alpine mountain attack that I wish fitted me as it's a really well thought out mountain pack. I borrowed it and ended up with back ache. Turns out I have a Montane shaped back. I guess packs can be a bit like shoes.

maxsmith 31 May 2021

Hi, don’t throw your pack away...if you have a sewing machine it’s relatively to add extra foam to your straps. I use a home made rucksack and the straps are made as follows: stitch a flat ‘sock’ in the shape of the strap pads and then stuff it with foam cut from an old 6mm ccf pad. If you want more comfort then double or triple the foam. Then you can attach your ‘socks’to your existing straps. I’m sure you will find some suitable fabric (nylon) in your attic or a charity shop, but you’ll need heavy duty polyester thread. An old singer sewing machine would be most effective. If you decide to try this feel free to message with any questions, good luck

Edit: this picture may help you visualise what you’re trying to do

https://i.imgur.com/gBjVLkX.jpg

Post edited at 08:19
 SFM 31 May 2021

Put less in it?

Most rucsacs are designed with a specific weight in mind and the structure reflects that. Is this simply the case you are stuffing it too full each time?

Removed User 31 May 2021
In reply to maxsmith:

this looks perfect !

maxsmith 31 May 2021

I sewed this rucksack during the first lockdown, it’s around30l and weighs only 400g. Ive found the 6mm foam has been comfy with loads under 10kg, I think you’ll need extra layers of foam with your larger pack. By the way there’s a trick to stuffing the foam in (invert the sock first). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...