UKC

Help identifying a location, possibly Trossachs/Loch Lomond.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 01 Jun 2021

Bit of a long shot this one but a friend of a friend is researching family history and apparently this photo was taken the day his grandmother met her future husband.  He thinks it might be somewhere in the Trossachs or Loch Lomond area.  Any ideas? I appreciate there's not a lot to go on!

Cheers.

JLS 01 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

There’s probably a Waston guide book for that rock...

Post edited at 22:08
In reply to DaveHK:

Hmmmm..... not the boulder on the trade route up Tarmachan, about 10 minutes from the road?

OP DaveHK 01 Jun 2021
In reply to JLS:

> There’s probably a Waston guide book for that rock...

That did cross my mind.  

OP DaveHK 01 Jun 2021
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:

> Hmmmm..... not the boulder on the trade route up Tarmachan, about 10 minutes from the road?

I'm not familiar with that so can't say. Cheers though.

streapadair 01 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

The Pulpit Rock on Loch Lomondside is massively bigger than what is in the photo, but I wonder she could be sat on a notch in one corner of it.

She's a right bonny lass. 

Removed User 02 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

I don't know why but Lix Toll pops into my head. It's likely that the location is within walking distance of a railway station which should narrow things down a bit.

Lankyman 02 Jun 2021
In reply to Removed User:

> I don't know why but Lix Toll pops into my head. It's likely that the location is within walking distance of a railway station which should narrow things down a bit.

Perhaps if the OP searches the photos on Geograph around Lix Toll? I've car camped near there several times in the past but don't recognize the rock. If it was further afield I'd suggest the Popping Stone near Gilsland (a well known romantic spot in olden days) but the rock there is sandstone.

Toccata 02 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Feels like somewhere on Craigmaddie.

jonny taylor 03 Jun 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

Some local votes coming in for the boulders in the Loch Katrine area, though I haven't managed to find any actual photos that look like they match...

BenLorken 11 Jun 2021

> Perhaps if the OP searches the photos on Geograph around Lix Toll? I've car camped near there several times in the past but don't recognize the rock. If it was further afield I'd suggest the Popping Stone near Gilsland (a well known romantic spot in olden days) but the rock there is sandstone.

I think it's Craigmaddie, too. Somewhere in this region I have seen similar places. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...