UKC

Euro's 2021

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread auto-archived as it is too large
 Sean Kelly 11 Jun 2021

Well I must admit to a sneaking feeling that Italy might be the Dark Horses of the tourament. Mancini has got them working well as a unit, and they are unbeaten in 27 games. England however are always overhyped. When they won the WC in '66 they were absolutely smashing teams. They beat Mexico 8-1  I think. Two 1-0 results recenty (one a penalty) is hardly convincing form. Too much back-passing which infuriates me no end. They have the players to run at teams but rarely do. Nothing terrifies the opposition more than a player that runs at them, they have to commit. Combinations up front are so important. Peters & Hurst, Shearer & Sherringham, Rooney & Owen. Kane & ?

Post edited at 19:57
 Hat Dude 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Italy have just won the national anthems

But they always do

Fredt 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> When they won the WC in '66 they were absolutely smashing teams. They beat Mexico 8-1  I think. 

No they weren’t. They beat Mexico 2-0, France 2-0, and 0–0 against Uruguay.

Then they beat Argentina 1-0, Portugal 2-1, and West Germany 4-2. They were lucky to beat Portugal and West Germany.

And it was Hunt and Hurst up front.

Post edited at 20:30
 Babika 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Italy have just won the national anthems

> But they always do

Disagree. They have the best tune but the Turks belted theirs out with more gusto. An impressive anthem display from both teams 

OP Sean Kelly 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

> No they weren’t. They beat Mexico 2-0, France 2-0, and 0–0 against Uruguay.

> Then they beat Argentina 1-0, Portugal 2-1, and West Germany 4-2. They were lucky to beat Portugal and West Germany.

> And it was Hunt and Hurst up front.

I'm talking in the build up matches played before the WC started. They played 8 friendly games in '66 and won 7and another against Germany (May '65). Also 10-0 against the US. And it was 6-1 against Norway. The Mexico game was in '61 when they won 8-0. Hurst and Peters, near & far post! I blame it on dementia setting in!

Post edited at 21:05
 Hat Dude 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

I just think Italy has the best ever anthem, sounds like it belongs in a comic opera

Fredt 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Hurst didn’t get in the team until during the World Cup, and it was Greaves and Moore who scored against Norway.

OP Sean Kelly 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Greaves was playing out of his skin and Ramsey drops him. Unthinkable! Italy on top tonight but lucky with rebounds etc.

Post edited at 21:26
 The Norris 11 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Italy look very impressive. Completely dominated the turks, who some pundits thought might be a bit of a dark horse for doing well.

Babika 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Today's been a good day

After the horror of last night's match (watching it live - although outcome obviously a huge relief)  its good to be back at the fun times again. 

Disappointed North Macedonia folded tho, I'd like to see them get out of the group.

The New NickB 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Greaves was playing out of his skin and Ramsey drops him. Unthinkable!

He wasn’t dropped, he got injured in the group stage game against France.

Yanis Nayu 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Holland v Ukraine - what a game!

Bottom Clinger 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Best game to watch ( some iffy defending tho).  Ukraine’s goals were ace. 

Robert Durran 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

> Italy have just won the national anthems.

How cam you say that when Wales havn't even sung yet?

Post edited at 22:15
 streapadair 13 Jun 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

Yes they have -

'Dad! Dad! Why don't you shaft Auntie Glad?'

or something like that. 

In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I'm talking in the build up matches played before the WC started. They played 8 friendly games in '66 and won 7and another against Germany (May '65). Also 10-0 against the US. And it was 6-1 against Norway. The Mexico game was in '61 when they won 8-0. Hurst and Peters, near & far post! I blame it on dementia setting in!

You can't possibly compare the two run-ins from 1966 to 2021 seriously. It was 55 years ago! The game was barely professional by today's standards and many now-decent national teams were rubbish. Friendlies meant something completely different. Today they are practice matches in which no-one wants to get injured. 

If you want to do a comparison then look at the form of all previous winners in recent competitions going into tournaments. There will certainly be a correlation between winning form and doing well but it is far from conclusive. Think Portugal 2016, Denmark 1992 and Greece 2004. Even Germany at the WC in 2014 weren't that rated going into the tournament, and the Dutch were hopeless in the run-up to 2010 where they made the final.

Having said that, I reckon England will struggle this time because of the draw which pits them up against teams they have not beaten in major knock-out stages for many years. Their progress to 1/4 finals and 1/2 finals for the last 30 years has been almost entirely due to fortunate draws pitting them against relatively middle-ranked teams.

Alan

Dave Garnett 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> How cam you say that when Wales havn't even sung yet?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000wyx5

15.06 in.

When it comes to anthems the only real competition Land of My Fathers has is from Nkosi Sikelel'i Afrika

Robert Durran 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Dave Garnett:

> When it comes to anthems the only real competition Land of My Fathers has is from Nkosi Sikelel'i Afrika

Yes. I rate Russia, Germany and the USA highly too. Flower of Scotland is also good, but only when played slowly enough to be dignified and with the spine tingling second last note correctly flattened.

Post edited at 11:29
Roadrunner6 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Goal of the tournament. Brilliant vision and execution.

Tony Buckley 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Top notch.  I could hear the thud of thousands of cans of Irn-Bru being dropped and hitting the floor from Somerset.

T.

Bottom Clinger 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Good game. Bit frantic at times. Good save just then. Scotland at risk of pushing up too far and getting hit on the break. That guy who scored that goal - impressive player, never heard of him. 

Roadrunner6 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:

Yeah, good game. Scotland have had chances to be fair.

Iamgregp 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Kane & nobody-plays-two-strikers-anymore

In reply to Roadrunner6:

It looks like Scotland will be taken out of the euros  against their will.

I wonder if Sturgeon will campaign for a replay?

cb294 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Hat Dude:

Only since the Soviet Union disintegrated....

Nothing beats the good old Soyuz nerushimyy, not even the new Russian anthem (even though the music is unchanged) or Fratelli d´Italia!

CB

streapadair 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Pitiful.

O my Dalglish, and Jordan long ago.

Try to keep Kane/Sterling/Foden to single figures, lads.

cb294 14 Jun 2021

Played for Sampdoria and AS Rome in Seria A and for Leverkusen and Leipzig in Bundesliga, no real surprise he seems to know where the goal is!

CB

jimtitt 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Croatia became independent, it's the bloody English holding the Scots back

skog 14 Jun 2021
In reply to streapadair:

> Pitiful.

Not at all - we've already knocked England off the top spot in the group.

Babika 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Come on Slovakia!  Good to see Hamsik still on form. 

Now of course if Poland had started with Fabianski......

Roadrunner6 14 Jun 2021
In reply to skog:

I didn’t think Scotland played that badly. Moment of brilliance killed them but created some good chances.

Bottom Clinger 14 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Agree. And That Goal: deflection landed perfectly, but then some mega skill. 

Im also really really enjoying the lack of VAR!

elsewhere 14 Jun 2021

VAR is in Switzerland, but it is far less intrusive.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/06/13/euro-2020-is-var-being-used-14759870/

OP Sean Kelly 15 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Sometimes there is good fortune as with the initial deflection, but the way he sized up the situation before hitting and fighting the ball over the keeper but under the bar, and all from just inside the halfway line. Stunning breataking skill. Then others have an easy shot in front of goal and the ball flies into earth orbit.

jimtitt 15 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

My wife asked why there wasn't a goalie!

The Norris 15 Jun 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

I have to say from the games I have seen, the use of VAR has been really good. Seems much more sensible and appropriate than it has done in the premier league. Hope the changes are implemented in the club game.

In reply to The Norris:

> I have to say from the games I have seen, the use of VAR has been really good. Seems much more sensible and appropriate than it has done in the premier league. Hope the changes are implemented in the club game.

Have to agree there. Barely noticeable so far and nothing really controversial. Dutch close second goal for offside looked okay. Denmark penalty was dodgy but he missed it anyway.

Alan

elsewhere 15 Jun 2021
In reply to The Norris:

VAR is impressively invisible. I wonder if it works because when the match referee thinks he should ask VAR in Switzerland he gets a quick decision. No delay while the match referee looks at replays, he just accepts what VAR panel say when he thinks they are worth asking.

streapadair 15 Jun 2021
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

VAR went oddly missing when McTominey burst through deep into the penalty box and was taken out by a full-scale bodycheck. Not that a penalty  would have affected the result.

Roadrunner6 15 Jun 2021
In reply to streapadair:

> VAR went oddly missing when McTominey burst through deep into the penalty box and was taken out by a full-scale bodycheck. Not that a penalty  would have affected the result.

Come on he ran into the guy. The defender didn’t change his position - just turned sidewards. If he’d stepped across and done that there was a genuine call but not for holding your position.

Roadrunner6 15 Jun 2021
In reply to The Norris:

The only one I’ve not fully understood was Lukakus. He looked a mile off, I know the defender touched it but it was a ball through to him. Only saw it once though nor any analysis of it.

Roadrunner6 15 Jun 2021

3-0 Portugal. Not fair on Hungary, it's been a close game then 3 goals in the last 6 minutes.

They have a strong team Portugal, not unbeatable though.

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> 3-0 Portugal. Not fair on Hungary, it's been a close game then 3 goals in the last 6 minutes.

Following on from our VAR of earlier...

What happened with that last Ronaldo goal - miles offside and no goal check!

Alan

Roadrunner6 15 Jun 2021

I think it was checked. It looked off side and the ESPN commentators said it’d get ruled out and then they kicked off. There was certainly none of the usual VAR offside lines shown.

Greenbanks 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Probably allowed the goal just to spite that Orban-fuelled racist sh*t that pours out of Hungary.

Politics & sport - don’t get me started...

Roadrunner6 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Greenbanks:

I saw they (Hungary) brought in some anti homosexuality education legislation or something today. 

Maggot 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Great match at the moment, Wales.

Got to laugh at the Beeb ... interviewing Turkish fans ... kebab shop workers and barbers 😆🙃😆🙃

rlrs 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Australia one-nil up at half time vs. Turkey.

Bottom Clinger 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Maggot:

Yes, enjoying it. I kept re-winding that penalty shout and was convinced the Turkey player hand balled it away - but the close revealed some elbow action. 

Bottom Clinger 16 Jun 2021

Wow!  Proper, full on game. 

wbo2 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Bottom Clinger:  Liked that.  Not welsh but liked to see Wales win.  Bales penalty was godawful but he put in a one heck of a shift for the team and is acting like a real captain.  He's gone up a few notches in my opinion

Post edited at 18:59
 Welsh Kate 16 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Phew!

Tense at times, but what an exciting game. Cymru am byth!

sjminfife 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Welsh Kate:

Taking that penalty Bale forgot which game he was playing..."Three points will get us home"

But apart from that absolutely brilliant.

Roadrunner6 16 Jun 2021
In reply to sjminfife:

Good game that. Wales have got a decent team. 

That second goal could be crucial. 

squarepeg 16 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Bet bale was feeling sheepish after the penalty... 

> Following on from our VAR of earlier...

> What happened with that last Ronaldo goal - miles offside and no goal check!

> Alan

I was at the match in Budapest and it looked onside from where I was. The replay on the stadium screens looked pretty conclusive. Great atmosphere in a full stadium.......I think it’s the only full capacity ground this Euros.

OP Sean Kelly 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Ramsey goal is 2nd best goal of the tournament. The best is obvious!

stevieb 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

It looks like the refereeing and VAR is being handled much more flexibly in the Euros than in the PL.

In the PL, Davies and maybe others could’ve been sent off for that bust up.

Tyler 17 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

> Bales penalty was godawful but he put in a one heck of a shift for the team and is acting like a real captain.  He's gone up a few notches in my opinion

Did you not watch Euro 2016 or the qualifiers for that and this tournament? Bale always shows up for Wales.

Wales.Golf.Madrid

In that order

Roadrunner6 17 Jun 2021
In reply to stevieb:

I'm surprised Rudiger wasnt banned tbh. that looked a bite.

stevieb 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I think the French doctor should be banned 

Yanis Nayu 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Ramsey goal is 2nd best goal of the tournament. The best is obvious!

The Bale penalty was the best conversion. 

Roadrunner6 17 Jun 2021
In reply to stevieb:

> I think the French doctor should be banned 

For sending the player back on after the head injury? I don't get how this is still happening. As a high school coach I'd be fired for it. Every year we do concussion training and return to play protocols. There was no way he should have gone back on.

Bottom Clinger 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> The Bale penalty was the best conversion. 

It was a loft conversion...

stevieb 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> For sending the player back on after the head injury? 

Yes. It’s a small bit UEFAs fault, because they are not using head injury subs for this tournament, but the doctor has the biggest duty of care. 

OP Sean Kelly 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Thinking back to the last England game, I remarked to a friend that Pickford by booting the ball upfield was continually giving away possession and that perhaps he ought to look at the distribution of Gordon Banks. He mostly threw the ball and nearly always found his own player unlike Pickford. His last two kicks found touch. I was screaming at the screen, this ain't rugby!

mbh 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Tyler:

I thought he was fantastic in the Turkey game, but....

> Wales.Golf.Madrid

> In that order

Don't be an idiot, I thought, when he did that, when he was in employ of a club paying him zillions, as he still is. If behaviour was everything,  he should have been sacked on the spot.

Bottom Clinger 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Re Pickford, totally agree. Top goalies (and many England players are in teams with top goalies) rarely boot it up field. 

Yanis Nayu 17 Jun 2021
In reply to stevieb:

Don’t they have 5 subs though? 

stevieb 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

In rugby, they allow temporary substitutes to allow proper head injury assessment. Football is trialling a solution (not at the euros), though looking at the detail, it’s not as straightforward. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/dec/16/concussion-substitute-tria...

Roadrunner6 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

There was arguments over it within the England team. With the skill of the defenders these days there’s just no need to go long. I love the new goal kick rule so you can pass within your box. 

Roadrunner6 17 Jun 2021
In reply to stevieb:

Eriksen has had an ICD fitted, Daley blind plays with one so maybe he’ll play again. He’s young enough to try to come back.

Babika 17 Jun 2021

> Re Pickford, totally agree. Top goalies (and many England players are in teams with top goalies) rarely boot it up field. 

Agree. Pickford seems particularly weak at this.

But having watched the Gazza goal from 96 for the zillions time tonight I hadn't appreciated that it started with a massive hoof up the field from Seaman. 

Now if that could happen tomorrow...?

mike reed 18 Jun 2021

And another thing.....

Female pundits.... please No!!!!

Guessing most watch the euro’s on tv, but I’m listening via BBC sounds and I have to say, the female pundits are awful. Karen Carney on Belgium v Denmark was dire. Cliche after tired cliche.

I’m sorry, but I want to hear Waddle, Sutton, Nevin, etc, ex international pro’s! I accept this may be a dated view, but let the men pundit for the men’s game, and the lassies do the women’s game....please. 

BBC being too ‘PC’ for its own good. 

john arran 18 Jun 2021
In reply to mike reed:

> I accept this may be a dated view

Too right!

abr1966 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Here we go.....my punt....

Scotland 2

England 1

Bottom Clinger 18 Jun 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Good game so far. Scotland way more organised and less frantic (then their last game).

Post edited at 20:41
 jimtitt 18 Jun 2021

You must be watching a different game!

Toccata 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Not a big football fan but enjoying this one. Just back from London with a lot of pissed (but well-behaved) Scots milling about. Even if we lose I’d like Scotland to score.

The Norris 18 Jun 2021
In reply to abr1966:

Kane hasn't performed very well again, the system doesnt really seem to fit his style of play, a bit too much passing around and not enough crosses.

Cue him coming off!

PaulJepson 18 Jun 2021
In reply to mike reed:

What about Alex Scott? Karen Carney is decent too.

There are some awful male pundits. Martin Keown, Roy Keane, etc. 

I think if pundits were judged on their skill as pundits rather than on the pitch 30 years ago, there would probably be a lot more women and a lot less men. I rate Dublin though, great pundit. 

Yanis Nayu 18 Jun 2021

Good in the sense of being even. Pretty uninspiring and average quality though. 

abr1966 18 Jun 2021
In reply to The Norris:

...agree!

Scots happy to not be beaten by the English...

England to still go through but Scots happy to go out as long as not beaten by England?!

OP Sean Kelly 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

A very negative England performance, but the best player was probably Pickford. Stirling was outstanding at back-passing. At least Scotland looked like they wanted to win the game. Unlucky not to be awarded a penalty for stepping on Stirling, and Grealish fell over as usual. They were obviously playing for a clean sheet!

PaulJepson 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

What's all this about England's being favourites for the Euros? I've heard it a couple of times now and no idea where it's come from! I would say Holland, Germany, France, Belgium, Portugal and possibly even this weak Spain team are more likely.

Robert Durran 18 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> What's all this about England's being favourites for the Euros? I've heard it a couple of times now and no idea where it's come from! I would say Holland, Germany, France, Belgium, Portugal and possibly even this weak Spain team are more likely.

Exactly. They are not even better than Scotland.

In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Scotland managed the game well, stoped England from playing their game. Scotland made England look leggy and bereft of ideas (coz they got closed down quickly).  

In reply to PaulJepson:

> What's all this about England's being favourites for the Euros? I've heard it a couple of times now and no idea where it's come from! I would say Holland, Germany, France, Belgium, Portugal and possibly even this weak Spain team are more likely.

You’ve missed out Italy (who could win it).

stevieb 18 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

What with the Italians scoring for fun, I’m hoping that we’re taking on their traditional role - bore our way out of the group then keep going all the way to the final. 

PaulJepson 18 Jun 2021

Doh! Yes they've looked very strong. Them or France I think.

In reply to PaulJepson:

> Doh! Yes they've looked very strong. Them or France I think.

Yes, or as stevieb says (it’s often how it happens).  Kane needs rested. We flounder along with different players upfront like Calvert-Lewin and Rashford.  Kane comes back for the last few games, fresh and Roy of the Rovers style and wins us the cup. 
On a more boring note: our players upfront are used to different styles. The TV pundits where whaffling about ‘Kane wasn’t getting the balls to him’, but Fodden and Sterling don’t normally play that style - it’s small intricate passing to the feet rather than crosses  etc. Few players did much (Pickers did and I had a go at him the other day !)

Roadrunner6 18 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

> What about Alex Scott? Karen Carney is decent too.

> There are some awful male pundits. Martin Keown, Roy Keane, etc. 

> I think if pundits were judged on their skill as pundits rather than on the pitch 30 years ago, there would probably be a lot more women and a lot less men. I rate Dublin though, great pundit. 

Keane is brilliant. No mixing it. He sees the game so simply it's brilliant. I think it's why he struggles as a coach as his tolerance for not doing the basics is zero. I think too many try to make it too complex and Keane just calls out the basics like not closing down, turning your back to block a shot etc. And he's right. 

I like the female pundits, I think they are far better than they were but the game is a much higher standard, much more professional so they are in a better position to commentate. 

I like Lee Dixon. We have Rob Green over here, he started off poorly but I like him now. Evra's good but he's bat shit crazy and gets totally overly emotional. 

Roadrunner6 18 Jun 2021

> Scotland managed the game well, stoped England from playing their game. Scotland made England look leggy and bereft of ideas (coz they got closed down quickly).  

This is modern international football though. Lots of teams are strong, fit, well drilled, good shape, decent players. It's tough. Sweden did it this week to Spain.

I watched it on multi view on ESPN. It's just one camera down the field for the main view and you could see how well drilled Sweden were. They were almost like a Table Fussball team, they literally just slid back and to across the field. quick short presses and back in their shape, constant communication. It was brilliant to watch. I want to get a copy to show the high school team I coach.  

The general standard these days is much higher, the days of beating Turkey 8-0 or whatever it was back in the 80's are over for the most part. It's the old cliche of 'no easy games at this level'. 

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Great performance from Scotland. I was worried about the potential for 3-0 or 4-0 to England, and when Stones got a free header and hit the post within 10 mins I though our chances of escaping a drubbing were slim. But the longer the match went on, the more Scotland got into the game, and overall Scotland looked more comfortable with the ball, and more likely to score by the end. England’s confidence and invention just seemed to drain. If we had a good goal scorer, this Scotland team would be a real threat. As it is- need to beat the World Cup runners up to qualify, having failed to score twice…. Oh well, I’d have taken that if you’d given it at the start of the tournament…

Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

This is a decent Scotland team, Robertson, McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour, Tierney, Adams are all established premier league players, work hard, good shape. I thought it was far too negative after the first game when they played pretty well. Football is fine margins, this week Stones' header bounces out and its game on, last week a lucky break and a guy kills them off from 50 yards with a wonder strike. 

McTominay at the back is interesting. He's comfortable on the ball, tall and a fantastic athlete. He could turn into a top class center back.

Post edited at 01:05
 Myfyr Tomos 19 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

Oi! Wot about us? We're still in there. C'mon Cymru. 😜

Bottom Clinger 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Re Scotland: I’m not too sure about them being too negative. In their first game I thought they went for it too much and hence not as controlled.  England do seem to struggle against organised teams who are prepared to sit back. 

stevieb 19 Jun 2021

I think RR meant the reviews were too negative. 
In two games Scotland have had 30 shots, 5 on target, 0 goals. Scotland haven’t been negative, they’re just not good in front of goal.

In reply to stevieb:

I’m utterly choked with hay fever and not thinking straight etc. That makes sense. 

Phil1919 19 Jun 2021
In reply to mike reed:

I'd vote for more PC. The fans should represent both sexes equally, tickets available at a price everyone can afford, and a representative racial mix. Water down the drunken rabble.

wbo2 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6: Oh come on, Keane is desparately bad at being a pundit.  Just rolls out the same moany , whiny cliches again and again.  Ditto Jamie Carragher.  Not enough  energy, not enough passion, not good enough blah blah blah.  Totally designed to get them on the Daily Mail sportspages

Pat Nevin is good, Chris Sutton, and plenty of others, male and female.

The problem with Kane isn't that he needs resting, he's simply not very fit at this point (injured and then finished the season at dysfuntional Tottenham), and there isn't really a like for like replacement in the squad.  Certainly not Rashford, and Foden and Sterling have been playing in a team where they haven't even been playing a centre forward.

I think Wales have a better frontline with their best players out, and they also understand how they work with each other

I'm liking Italy (Immobile! What a name), France, Belgium , Netherlands. 

Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021

> Re Scotland: I’m not too sure about them being too negative. In their first game I thought they went for it too much and hence not as controlled.  England do seem to struggle against organised teams who are prepared to sit back. 

Yeah I mean peoples views on them. Football is all about results so it colors our view on the game. Look at England 90, we look back as though we were great. We just escaped the group stage with a narrow win over Egypt, probably deserved to lose to Belgium (they hit the woodwork constantly), and needed a late penalty to save the game against Cameroon.

Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

You are having a laugh about Wales?

bale has been bang average, James and Wilson are squad players, Ramsay can’t get a game at an average Juve, Moore isn’t that good at all.

sterling, Foden, Kane, Rashford, Sancho, Grealish and CL are individually and collectively much stronger. England aren’t playing well but the attacking talent they have is pretty much unrivaled. The problem is supply and playing two defensive midfielders and not just taking the game to teams. We’re so cagey. 

Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Italy haven’t played anyone yet.

belgium look solid but squeezed the win against Denmark. France look good. Holland likewise too early.

its early days I don’t think you can take anything from group matches when few teams are really challenged. Things change fast and the tournament can be over in a game. Look at United in the Europa, destroyed Roma then shit against villa real. All this talk about form and momentum is always funny to see as there are plenty of examples of it meaning nothing. 

wbo2 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:  No., not a laugh at all. They look like they have a better plan to me.  They don't have strengh in depth , and they might not be individually as good, but they fit. and know how to work to each other

Apart from Kane none of those players are traditional centre forwards, or even play as centreforwards.  Swapping Kane for a.n.other doesn't work, so you need to rearrange the entire team a la City

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Yeah I mean peoples views on them. Football is all about results so it colors our view on the game. Look at England 90, we look back as though we were great. We just escaped the group stage with a narrow win over Egypt, probably deserved to lose to Belgium (they hit the woodwork constantly), and needed a late penalty to save the game against Cameroon.

I seem the same thing in the football as in pretty much everything else:

England are massively overconfident and strut about like they have a chance of winning things they've not got a hope in hell of winning.  They are just another fairly good mid-rank team.

Scotland don't have enough self confidence and are actually a fair bit better than they think.   The way people talk you'd think they were hopeless, but like England and Wales they're actually an OK mid-rank team.

Post edited at 15:38
Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to tom_in_edinburgh:

That may be the most idiotic post. Greece won a European championship. Denmark won a european championship having not even qualified for it. Portugal won it last time with 3 draws with Iceland, Hungary and Austria (I think), finished 3rd and went on to win the tournament. The history of this tournament is crazy so anyone ruling out any team is silly. 

did you watch yesterday?! Overconfidence? England look scare of their own shadow.

Post edited at 16:22
Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to wbo2:

Eh CL is every bit of the traditional center forward?

france just drew with Hungary. This is the most open championship in decades. 

England are either seen as god awful over confident or world beaters when they are just a decent team, with good attacking players. We’ve 4 points from two games in a 3 game group and it’s the end of the world..

rsc 19 Jun 2021

> I see the same thing in the football as in pretty much everything else

😀

Wainers44 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Germany are good...surprisingly....not....

In reply to Wainers44:

Really enjoying Portugal v Germany, great game and plenty of goals.

Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

> Germany are good...surprisingly....not....

Played 1 lost 1. First game they got away with a 1-0 defeat. France tore them apart and some how Rudiger wasn’t banned.

Now  after looking two good teams one of France or Portugal could possibly go out. 3rd places teams can go through though.

Post edited at 18:41
 Babika 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Christheclimber:

I'm enjoying it all!

The pleasure of watching an international football tournament with excited fans after 16 months of s**t is wonderful. Come on England, Scotland and Wales - we can all make it to the round of 16.

More goals from everyone please- Portugal and Germany seem to have got the message.

Roadrunner6 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Shaping up for an excellent last round of games. I’m well enjoying it. 

In reply to Roadrunner6:

> That may be the most idiotic post.

Thanks.  It's a tough competition but I do my best.

> Greece won a European championship. .... The history of this tournament is crazy so anyone ruling out any team is silly. 

My point was about the media and the effect the media has on expectations and self confidence.   The media fuel a narrative that England are brilliant and quite likely to win Euro / World Cup and that Scotland only got in by a fluke and have no hope of getting to the next round.   

The reality is that England aren't as good as the media make out and Scotland are a bit better than the media make out.

RobAJones 19 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Yeah I mean peoples views on them. Football is all about results so it colors our view on the game. Look at England 90, we look back as though we were great. We just escaped the group stage with a narrow win over Egypt, probably deserved to lose to Belgium (they hit the woodwork constantly), and needed a late penalty to save the game against Cameroon.

On the other hand we were either a deflected goal or a penalty shoot out away from a final. It would have been against an Argentina side  beaten by Cameroon (pleased you don't see "tackles" like that any more) managed to finish third in their group and who "won" their quarter and semi finals on penalties. I agree results are what people remember and even then top level football was about small details.

I thought they did a professional job against Croatia. Like most I thought the display against Scotland was disappointing, but the result all but ensures progress which probably contributed to the second half performance in particular.

Post edited at 21:54
 RobAJones 19 Jun 2021

> The reality is that England aren't as good as the media make out and Scotland are a bit better than the media make out.

I'd have agreed previously, but I do think England have the players now to justify it to some exetent. CL final? I have no argument that Scotland played well, possibly could have won and England played poorly. A bit like a Championship teams against one of the big 6 in the FA Cup? There is a reason Scotland are the third lowest ranked team. I don't remember any lack of media hype for Scotland  in '78. 

Andy Hardy 19 Jun 2021

Scotland might just have better fans .... https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/19/bin-there-done-that-scotlan...

In reply to RobAJones:

> A bit like a Championship teams against one of the big 6 in the FA Cup? 

What about League 1 teams?  

“Will Griggs On Fire

Your defence is terrified “

(sorry Man City fans, again, not)

And this is why football is brilliant: a ‘lesser’ side can get organised, play their hearts out, have a wee bit of luck, and slay the giant. Fine margins can be overcome. 

RobAJones 20 Jun 2021

> What about League 1 teams?  

> “Will Griggs On Fire

That season he was already a proven goalscorer against "top flight" opposition, so I didn't think the comparison with Scotland was fair. 

> And this is why football is brilliant: a ‘lesser’ side can get organised, play their hearts out, have a wee bit of luck, and slay the giant. Fine margins can be overcome. 

In one off games, quite often, much less likely to get to and win the final, but Greece managed it.  I'm still dreaming of Wales doing the same. 

elsewhere 20 Jun 2021

What's Welsh for "Bugger!".

Red card.

Myfyr Tomos 20 Jun 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

> What's Welsh for "Bugger!".

> Red card.

Bygyr!

elsewhere 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

> Bygyr!

Phew. I think I can pronounce that.

Myfyr Tomos 20 Jun 2021
In reply to elsewhere:

> Phew. I think I can pronounce that.

Phew, is the same in any language.👍 PHEW!

Post edited at 18:52
 Tyler 20 Jun 2021
In reply to Myfyr Tomos:

Russia next, hopefully a better result than last time we played them. 

The New NickB 20 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

England are third ranked team in the competition. That might not have much bearing on the actual competition, but it is also the reality. 

galpinos 21 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Billy Gilmour out after positive Covid test.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scotland-squad-update-monday-21-june/?rid...

Quite a blow for Scotland. Baffled as to how everyone else can keep playing bearing in mind I have an 8yo home schooling as her class bubble has gone down though......

coinneach 21 Jun 2021
In reply to galpinos:

The English squad all tested negative.

Not surprising as none of them got near Gilmour on Friday night!

😊

Bottom Clinger 21 Jun 2021
In reply to galpinos:

> Quite a blow for Scotland. Baffled as to how everyone else can keep playing bearing in mind I have an 8yo home schooling as her class bubble has gone down though......

Football has got this right, schools got it wrong. There are whole classes home schooling when only one of them has tested positive.  Anyway, I should stick to footie discussions......

Roadrunner6 21 Jun 2021
In reply to coinneach:

Mount and Chilwell have to isolate yet none of the Scottish squad do... very odd.

Maggot 21 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> Mount and Chilwell have to isolate yet none of the Scottish squad do... very odd.

Too much post match man love between Chelsea team mates 💙🙄

rlrs 21 Jun 2021
In reply to Tyler:

Looking like Denmark now! For Wales.

Hold on a sec, Belgium goal ruled out, Russia get a goal back.

Post edited at 21:30
 Babika 21 Jun 2021
In reply to rlrs:

This is great! I keep flicking between the channels! 

The crowd at Copenhagen is what the whole tournament should be like. There'll be some sore heads in the morning

rlrs 21 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Now it's Denmark. It was Finland, now it's Denmark for Wales, done.

Roadrunner6 21 Jun 2021
In reply to rlrs:

That was brilliant. So pleased for Denmark and what a game.

OP Sean Kelly 22 Jun 2021
In reply to coinneach:

It was a lucky break than nobody scored. Think of all that kissing!

groovejunkie 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Maggot:

> Too much post match man love between Chelsea team mates 💙🙄

They made the mistake of doing it on camera, I don't believe for a second that covid behaviour was squeaky clean behind the scenes in either camp post match. I suspect if there was a dressing room cam then no-one would be playing tonight! 

Post edited at 09:41
Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2021
In reply to groovejunkie:

There’s plenty of pictures of gilmour hugging his manager and other Scottish players after the game. It’s very odd. A number of national newspapers have the photos in their sports pages.

MonkeyPuzzle 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

PHE clearly taking drastic action to make sure Grealish actually gets a start. Good to see them getting something right.

groovejunkie 22 Jun 2021
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:

> PHE clearly taking drastic action to make sure Grealish actually gets a start. Good to see them getting something right.

ahhhh, now. it makes more sense!! (because it sure as hell doesn't otherwise)

cb294 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

The difference is that teammates are in the same "bubble" anyway, the only thing you can do is test, test again, and hope that the infection of the first positive case, whereever it may have come from, did not hit multiple players.

The same level of contact with an opponent constitutes a risk of transferring infection to another such "bubble". However, unlike with the first positive test, you do know where and when a cross-bubble infection may have occurred, hence the contacts are, like the first case, isolated to hopefully nip any further chain of infections in the bud.

IMO this does make some sense with sports like football, but I have no idea what they are going to do about judo or wrestling at the upcoming Olympics! There have been several judo world cup tournaments during recent months, and one of the clever ideas was that competitors were banned from shaking hands after their fights. Totally makes sense after breathing into each other's faces from a few cm for the preceding five minutes ....

CB

summo 22 Jun 2021
In reply to cb294:

> The difference is that teammates are in the same "bubble" anyway, the only thing you can do is test, test again, and hope that the infection of the first positive case, whereever it may have come from, did not hit multiple players.

So you isolate the bubble. If you isolate some one who has had contact with the bubble, logically the whole bubble should isolate too. Instead it's heading out to try and infect another team. 

The virus isn't really bothered if it's the euros or not. 

cb294 22 Jun 2021
In reply to summo:

> The virus isn't really bothered if it's the euros or not. 

I agree. However, once you make the political decision* that it is safe enough to hold the event at all there is no alternative but to limit preventive isolation to possible infections between "bubbles".

Never mind the players anyway, they are irrelevant from an epidemiological POV. The main issue is the fans, especially fans following their team around venues.

I would have preferred canceling the Euros, and if that had turned out to be politically impossible, to hold it in a limited number of venues within one region and without spectators, similar to the 2020 CL finals.

On the other hand, I would not mind a decent Covid spike among the blackshirt scum in Budapest!

CB

*Hopefully based on an epidemiological assessment

Post edited at 16:38
 Bottom Clinger 22 Jun 2021

‘From the knee down, Jack Grealish is the most handsome man in the world.’

Heard on the radio, well funny. He does have magnificent lower legs, no doubt about it.  

MonkeyPuzzle 22 Jun 2021

And as a Villa fan I can't reasonably expect to see a better player for us in my lifetime. Get him on the pitch, Gareth!

Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2021
In reply to cb294:

Ah OK that makes sense.

Here road races were banned yet rugby was allowed. 

Football is largely very glancing body contact so the risk of spread is supposedly pretty low however I can't see how Rugby or the NFL can't.

An NFL player (I may have said on here), has said he will retire rather than get the vaccine as he's scared of long term impacts. Yet he's obviously not scared of the increased risk of brain damage/ALS/dementia etc from playing football..

Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2021

> And as a Villa fan I can't reasonably expect to see a better player for us in my lifetime. Get him on the pitch, Gareth!

I don't get why Rashford nor Sancho have had a look in. Both have had about 30 goal involvements (goals and assists) this season. 

Rashford tired late on but played a ridiculous amount of games. In comparison Saka has had about 11 goal involvements.

In reply to Sean Kelly:

England winning, Scotland losing. What a perfect evening.

Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2021
In reply to VSisjustascramble:

1-1 scotland

Bottom Clinger 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Bloody great game!

The Norris 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Saka has been the best player on the pitch! Good to see some pace and some crosses into the box at last. Grealish has been excellent too. Defense looks a bit ropey at times. 

abr1966 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Adios Scotland...! 

cb294 22 Jun 2021

Looks like we (Germany) might see you next week!

CB

Dr.S at work 22 Jun 2021
In reply to cb294:

oh good - the tabloids can trot out some war tropes

Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2021
In reply to cb294:

> Looks like we (Germany) might see you next week!

> CB

France just drew with Hungary, Portugal were awful last game and good the first. Germany were awful first game but youve got to fancy them against Hungary.

id put them as favorites to win the group.

Post edited at 22:14
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I’d still rather play Germany than France…

Portugal are always a threat.

To be honest, England have played okay, but it’s nothing to write home about. If we can sneak through the next round I’d be very impressed.

abr1966 22 Jun 2021

I think we would beat Portugal...50/50 Vs Germany but I don't fancy France....

Clauso 22 Jun 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> I think we would beat Portugal...50/50 Vs Germany but I don't fancy France....

50/50 vs. Germany?... That's some penalty shootout. Bring it on Englander!

Roadrunner6 22 Jun 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> I think we would beat Portugal...50/50 Vs Germany but I don't fancy France....

They've got some good players. Diaz, Fernandez, Ronaldo, plus others. 

France only just drew with Hungary. Yet were great the first game.

This is so open, we've good attacking talent but only played well for 30 minutes today really. But if you don't concede you have a chance.

So far no team really scares me, I think Belgium have been the best team so far but they don't look unplayable.

Post edited at 22:46
Clauso 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> So far no team really scares me, I think Belgium have been the best team so far but they don't look unplayable.

Italia. Italia. Italia... You heard it here first, Signore.

abr1966 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I think we'll play better against a better team....Portugal like uou say have good players but mark them out of it and we should beat them...they're full of holes as evidenced in the game against Germany!?

abr1966 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Clauso:

+1.....the Italians always know how to win...my punt for the overall winners...

Darron 22 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

I hope it’s Germany.

I jumped for joy in ‘66. Cried like a 14 yr old in ‘70. Very nearly did the same in’90 and ‘96.

Having a go at knocking them out in ‘21 will do me. 

PaulJepson 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

20 minutes of excitement before back to boring boring England. 

The matches so far have been way too competitive for England to take any positives from and we've been lucky on more than one occasion. Could have easily lost or drawn those last two games. 

Babika 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Darron:

I hope its Germany as well - and they allow a few more into Wembley to create that "Copenhagen" atmosphere! We definitely need home advantage. 

They could always bring Southgate on for the penalties....

> And as a Villa fan I can't reasonably expect to see a better player for us in my lifetime. Get him on the pitch, Gareth!

Didn't Peter Schmeichel play for you? I mean, Grealish is a fine player all right, but he's not an all-time great the way PS was - granted, mainly for a different club.

jcm

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jun 2021
In reply to johncoxmysteriously:

Schmeichel was mostly ego and not much of the original talent left by the time we got him. A proper old school Doug Ellis "Look who we got!" signing. Did score for us though, which is always a crowd-pleaser.

Closest players to Grealish at Villa in my lifetime in my mind would be Paul McGrath (affectionately known as "God" to Villans), and the great what-could-have-been that was Luc Nilis (tragically had his career ended only a few games into his Villa career but a truly world class, world standing footballer at the time).

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jun 2021
In reply to PaulJepson:

I thought we were good for the majority of the first half. Rice off for Henderson seemed to chuck a spanner in the works despite Henderson not having a bad game himself. Think the true "double-pivot" of Rice and Phillips really lays the groundwork to let the attackers off the leash, aided, for the first time this tournament, by meaningful overlaps from the full-backs opening space and options up for the wide forwards.

OP Sean Kelly 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Clauso:

> Italia. Italia. Italia... You heard it here first, Signore.

Refer to my opening post before a ball was kicked!

England play well at times but soon revert to this negative game with the ball passed back from the opposition penalty area back to Pickford. If they could maintain the positive play we saw for the first 20 mins against Croatia and the first half against the Chechs they would be one of the favourites. But we never know who is going to turn up. Grealish OK in the first half but faded last night. Saka is an exciting prospect though. One reason for optimism!

Roadrunner6 23 Jun 2021

McGrath was brilliant, absolutely superb footballer. I see why Fergie let him go but he was a brilliant footballer. Surprisingly quick too.

the fact he got to the level he did with his drinking issues is even more surprising. Some of his stories are hilarious but also sad and tragic.

MonkeyPuzzle 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yep. Couldn't train because of his knees, so out on the lash all week with nobody knowing where he was, turned up on Saturday and played the opposition centre-forwards off the park, still pissed. It wouldn't happen today, Jeff.

Bottom Clinger 23 Jun 2021
In reply to anyone:

Slovakia - awful.  Worst team I’ve watched in this contest.

> Slovakia - awful.  Worst team I’ve watched in this contest.

They’re actually worse than this ^

Edit: and that’s being generous. 

Post edited at 18:36
 jimtitt 23 Jun 2021

Getting a fine thrashing, 5-0 and Spain sub a new striker.

In reply to jimtitt:

And Germany loosing. Doubt it will stay this way, but here’s hoping ....

Roadrunner6 23 Jun 2021

1-1 in the other game two dodgy penalties IMO.

Roadrunner6 23 Jun 2021

1 hour gone and still 1-0 down..

2-1 to France.

as it stands Portugal are out

Roadrunner6 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

2-2!

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Portugal now second. Exciting stuff, enjoying it. 

rlrs 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Germany equalize.

Germany scored, flapping goal keeper.

Bugger this: Hungary now scored !!  This is ace and I’m well confused!!!

rlrs 23 Jun 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Es gibt gar nicht.

rlrs 23 Jun 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Hungary lead.

rlrs 23 Jun 2021
In reply to rlrs:

Germany equalize!

Roadrunner6 24 Jun 2021
In reply to rlrs:

That was an incredible few hours of football, especially after the Polish game earlier. Most goals ever in a day at the euros.

18 goals in 4 games.

OP Sean Kelly 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> That was an incredible few hours of football, especially after the Polish game earlier. Most goals ever in a day at the euros.

> 18 goals in 4 games.

On no! Missed all that as I  was out climbing last night. But I did catch that exhilarating game against the Scots!!!

Bring on the Germans! Then again perhaps not...

fred99 24 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> An NFL player (I may have said on here), has said he will retire rather than get the vaccine as he's scared of long term impacts. Yet he's obviously not scared of the increased risk of brain damage/ALS/dementia etc from playing football..

Increased risk ? Are you sure he hasn't already got brain damage ?

Babika 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Very sad for Wales but weirdly Denmark are proving lots of people's second favourite team after the Eriksen event and the way they rallied.

Will Wembley provide any home advantage on Tuesday?

Hope so,  Be good if a home nation can progress further. 

The Norris 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Depends which teams turn up on the day I think. Germany have looked very average in 2 games, and excellent vs portugal. I think England have been pretty professional and solid, but very underwhelming vs Scotland. 

Itll be interesting to see who southgate picks as I thought grealish and saka were far more impactful than foden has been. But foden has probably got more big game experience. It's a tough one for the fantasy footy team selection!

Babika 27 Jun 2021
In reply to The Norris:

I was sceptical about Grealish - thought he was going to be  too selfish, but he played a blinder. And yes please to Saka. 90 minutes as well - not just an impact sub. 

The biggest problem is how to leave the captain on the bench.....

OP Sean Kelly 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

Weird promotion to the knockout stages where Denmark lose their first 2 matches and yet progress. Other teams had 3 points and didn't. Didn't they win it one year failing to even qualify and not winning a single game outright? 

And as for Wales, well the ref did them no favours. But a timely reminder to play to the whistle when a decision doesn't go their way. That second goal really knocked the wind out of their sails. If only Bale had sneaked his early effort inside the post. I thought the Red Card was very harsh in the circumstances too. A German ref!

In reply to Sean Kelly:

Euro's 1992, Denmark qualified as runner-up because Yugoslavia was disqualified, then we won over France (group play), Netherlands (semi-finals) and Germany (Final). We were surprised as well.

RobAJones 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Stefan Jacobsen:

> Euro's 1992, Denmark qualified as runner-up because Yugoslavia was disqualified

And with only 7 teams + host  in the finals, qualification was a lot harder. Although Scotland managed to, so it couldn't have been that hard. 

>then we won over France (group play), Netherlands (semi-finals) and Germany (Final).

But only managed a draw against England

>We were surprised as well.

But not as surprised as some Arsenal fans who need to wait over 100 games to see  Jenson strike a ball like he did in the final? 

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

Now Czechs 2-0 up against 10 men Holland. In injury time.

quarters is Denmark v Czechs.

RobAJones 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Looks promising for the winner of England /Germany to make it to the final.

Opposing cricket captain wanted to know why I was so keen to play the match tomorrow night instead of Tuesday as the weather forecast is good for both?? 

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to RobAJones: yeah it’s a very lopsided draw. The winner of England Germany ‘should’ make the final but this is a crazy year as we just saw then. 

Bottom Clinger 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Just a random comment: best refereeing I can remember, they appear to have got VAR sussed, and the least play acting and shenanigans that I can remember. Which is great. 

Tyler 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Babika:

If England don’t at least make the final I’d say it were a poor effort given the draw, home advantage etc. 

RobAJones 27 Jun 2021

> Just a random comment: best refereeing I can remember, they appear to have got VAR sussed, and the least play acting and shenanigans that I can remember. Which is great. 

Wasn't impressed by the Spanish ref. (Portugal /France) but I agree it won't get a mention in the history of dodgy refereeing. VAR certainly seems to have reduced attempts to con the ref. 

RobAJones 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

> yeah it’s a very lopsided draw. 

It was pointed out to my niece (who conviently supports Wales at rugby) that beating Wales might not have been the best result for Italy. 

Fredt 27 Jun 2021

> and the least play acting and shenanigans that I can remember. Which is great. 

Just compare the footballers with the TdF cyclists. Yesterday one cyclist got back on his bike and rode to the finish with two broken arms, and they were queuing at the local A&E for X-rays and scans, AFTER they had finished the stage.

John Ww 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

Compare rugby, handball, hockey, water polo (and a dozen other sports) with football and you’ll see the difference between playacting fairies and sportsmen/women.

abr1966 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

I grew up playing football in Liverpool...I did nothing else as a kid like everyone else gootball was everything....I can barely watch it nowadays...pathetic acting, cheating, diving...

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to John Ww:

> Compare rugby, handball, hockey, water polo (and a dozen other sports) with football and you’ll see the difference between playacting fairies and sportsmen/women.

Haha brilliant. Rugby? Have you played? Plenty of play acting. 

Anyway nice bit of homophobia thrown in.

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

> > and the least play acting and shenanigans that I can remember. Which is great. 

> Just compare the footballers with the TdF cyclists. Yesterday one cyclist got back on his bike and rode to the finish with two broken arms, and they were queuing at the local A&E for X-rays and scans, AFTER they had finished the stage.

When talking about ethical sports lets not try to bring in road cycling..

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021

> Just a random comment: best refereeing I can remember, they appear to have got VAR sussed, and the least play acting and shenanigans that I can remember. Which is great. 

I think it's been a great tournament. 

VAR has been used very well. The ref in that Portugal game had his hands full but Pepe was playing. He's an awful human being. 

I played this morning and was reminded how much I generally dislike football refs. The lack of respect too many approach the game with is appalling. 

One comment by him was from our captain 'ref can I ask a question'

Ref: 'yes'

Captain 'why did you penalize our player when he clearly played the ball' (even their player who was supposedly fouled laughed because he'd ran into our player after our player had cleared it).

Ref 'I never said I'd answer'.

Another one was from our player who had his hand pulled, 'I'll show a hand' and booked him. 

He booked their player for dissent. They were Ghanaians who only speak Twi on the pitch. He had no idea what the guy was saying so booked him. This team are great, we always battle with them, always a close game. You always walk off sore and bruised because they play physical and don't half knock you about but are good guys. Today was 2-2 and it was otherwise a great game apart from the ref. 

The best ref in our league is this little blonde lady who takes no shit, but she's always willing to explain her calls and is approachable. She's brilliant. 

Andy Hardy 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Football is the only sport where you can "win" a penalty for your team.

Bottom Clinger 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I expected these types of posts (football is full of cheats etc etc) as soon as I posted. In fact, a while ago I even started a new thread when a football thread got similarly hijacked. Oh well, no big deal. 

Belgium looked good but nowt special tonight. De Bruyne injured - lost their best player. I rate Martinez - totally biased coz he managed Wigan to our FA cup victory.

Cant wait for Tuesday. 

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Football is the only sport where you can "win" a penalty for your team.

That's not true. 

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021

I'm working until 3 and then have to drive up to NH so I'll miss all the game. And I know if I change my plans to watch it we'll certainly lose and it would be my fault...

RobAJones 27 Jun 2021
In reply to abr1966:

> I grew up playing football in Liverpool...I did nothing else as a kid like everyone else gootball was everything....I can barely watch it nowadays...pathetic acting, cheating, diving...

Apologies if you're a toffee, and I agree about the acting/diving  but are you really saying that watching Hughes pass it back to Clemence for and hour after they had gone one up, or Lawrenson/Hanson doing the same with Grobbelaar was more enjoyable than Klopp's title winning team? I agree that Smith and Souness were good at kicking people 

John Ww 27 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Yes I have thanks - and at a pretty decent level. I’ve also played (and taught) cricket, football and hockey, also at a decent level. As for homophobia - who said fairies were gay?

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to John Ww:

You are joking. A fairy is a homophobic insult. Go away and spoil other people’s threads.

2 slang, offensive : a gay person —used as a term of abuse and disparagement.

fairy - Urban Dictionary

2) A usually derogatory term for a gay male, especially one who is flamboyant and acts more "feminine" than a woman (as if there were ...

Roadrunner6 27 Jun 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

We romanticize football back in the 70s and 80s but it was not good on and especially off the pitch. Pitches were awful too. The players hardly athletes. The standard now is far far higher. 

John Ww 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

In this country we tend to look up the meaning of words in the Oxford English dictionary rather than some rather distasteful alternative version. However, I agree that this thread is about the European Champions,  so as a Scot might say - "away ye go".

Roadrunner6 28 Jun 2021
In reply to John Ww:

and that’s what I used. The first definition marks you out as a homophobic nasty little man so kindly piss off. I’m English. Some of us aren’t scared of moving. Though the fact you tried to make it about nationality points to your xenophobic nature, which shouldn’t surprise me after your earlier homophobic comments.

1 : a mythical being of folklore and romance usually having diminutive human form and magic powers. 2 slang, offensive : a gay person —used as a term of abuse and disparagement.

https://www.merriam-webster.com › ...

Fairy | Definition of Fairy by Merriam-Webster

Post edited at 01:42
 B-team 28 Jun 2021
In reply to John Ww:

You know it's homophobic. Why are you pretending otherwise.

Andy Hardy 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Somebody ought to mention that to the commentators..

> That's not true. 

Roadrunner6 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Andy Hardy:

> Somebody ought to mention that to the commentators..

In rugby there’s plenty you can do to win penalties. Sly pulls so players lose their feet as a ruck develops, holding them down so they can’t roll away after a tackle, going down after a kick if a late block has contact. 

you can win penalties in any contact sport.

not to mention the use of fake blood. There’s no chance that was only done once.

Post edited at 11:06
 streapadair 28 Jun 2021
In reply to RobAJones:

> And with only 7 teams + host  in the finals, qualification was a lot harder. Although Scotland managed to, so it couldn't have been that hard. 

England qualified too, so no, it couldn't have been hard. Both went out at the group stage.

"Dahlin . . . Brolin . . . Dahlin . . . BROLIN . . . GOOOOOOAL"

I enjoyed that game almost as much as the revenge trouncing by W.Germany in 1970.

"Back home, we'll be going tomorrow, back home . . ."

Roadrunner6 28 Jun 2021
In reply to streapadair:

You can criticize England a lot but there qualification record is excellent. Perennial under achievers once there but they do qualify well.

this year is a huge opportunity for all those still in it. Way up thread people were far too confident on Holland. Now Belgium might have De Bruyne and Hazard out, Portuguese are gone. It’s so open. Italy squeezed past Austria. There’s just no standout team this year so it’s a really interesting tournament to watch. 

OP Sean Kelly 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Fredt:

> > and the least play acting and shenanigans that I can remember. Which is great. 

> Just compare the footballers with the TdF cyclists. Yesterday one cyclist got back on his bike and rode to the finish with two broken arms, and they were queuing at the local A&E for X-rays and scans, AFTER they had finished the stage.

Hazard was in excruciating pain from the mildest of tackles so he would probably die after a Grahame Souness real tackle!

cb294 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

No it is not, it is rather average. If you want to see what an excellent qualification record looks like, try Germany. OTOH, failing to qualifiy for EC2000 or WC2018 would have spared us some blushes!

CB

Bottom Clinger 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Listened to a German pundit on 5 Live who said 'England have a clear strategy: play fast and hard early on and try and get goal, then slow it right down for 15 mins, then manage the game until final whistle.  He reckons Germany have no clear strategy.  And he said England do have more better players than Germany.  Other pundits have been quite positive about Englands chances.  I'm so sick of seeing us go out on penalties in quarters and semis that if we are going out then I would kinda rather it be now than in the semis.  Kinda...

In previous tournaments I think many England fans bigged up how good our star players were (Gerrard and Lampard and Rooney etc).  Currently, some of our best players don't have such a high profile, which might mean not as much pressure.

If you’ve not seen it, check out the own goal that Spain just scored against themselves. It’s a classic!

1:1 and another good game. 

Post edited at 17:39
Roadrunner6 28 Jun 2021

This year we have much more competition for places. Tbf to Southgate both his calls went well last Game. Sako was brilliant and Maguire played well too.

its a young team so they shouldn’t feel pressure. Nobody expects them to win it.

france now 1 down.

Post edited at 20:28
In reply to Roadrunner6:

An amazing few minutes!  How often does someone miss a penalty and the other team immediately goes and scores (but not twice!). 

rsc 28 Jun 2021

France’s defending though… 😀

Roadrunner6 28 Jun 2021
In reply to rsc:

Im following on the frustratingly slow BBC updates and WhatsApp’s from friends. Sounds incredible.

rsc 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Switzerland’s first two goals both came from free headers, from unchallenged crosses. Pogba doesn’t deserve to be on a losing side, but…

Babika 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I'm not sure this match works on WhatsApp! Radio maybe....

Apparently it's gone midnight in Bucharest and they're still playing

Post edited at 22:06
 Yanis Nayu 28 Jun 2021
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Brilliant match!

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Live commentary: 3 each, each taken 3

4 -3 swiss

4-4. Previous Swiss pen nearly saved 

5-4, France need to score 

Saved ! Swiss tho !!!!!!

Mbape got saved, and a great save. What a stonker of a game. 

elsewhere 28 Jun 2021

> Saved ! Swiss tho !!!!!!

Bloody hell!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Thread auto-archived as it is too large
Loading Notifications...