UKC

Stretchy / durable / water-resistant fabric?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Catriona 17 Jun 2021

I’d like to make a helmet holder (fnarr) similar to the Mammut one:

https://www.mammut.com/uk/en/products/2530-00120-0001/helmet-holder

Any recommendations for the kind of fabric I’d need please? Something stretchy and durable that doesn’t absorb too much water. 

Post edited at 15:02
 Toerag 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Catriona:

Old tights?

OP Catriona 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Toerag:

Not so durable. As devotees of Faithless will be aware, you can tear off tights with your teeth. If needs be. 

leon 1 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Catriona: Stretch Mesh fabric may be what you want or even Fish Net Stretch fabric Plenty of suppliers out there  Good luck with it

https://fabricland.co.uk/product-category/buy-fabric-online/lycra-fabric/ly...

Post edited at 15:42
 Tigger 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Catriona:

The holder fabic it's may not need to be stretchy, only the bungee cord at each of the 4 corners.

Also by the time you've bought the necessary materials and paid for p&p, buying one pre made (£7 - £10) may actually work out cheaper.

Post edited at 16:50
OP Catriona 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Tigger:

> The holder fabic it's may not need to be stretchy, only the bungee cord at each of the 4 corners.

The blurb in the link mentions “flexible material”. I agree it’s probably not essential but it might give a neater finish if it is slightly stretchy.

> Also by the time you've bought the necessary materials and paid for p&p, buying one pre made (£7 - £10) may actually work out cheaper.

The one linked has a nice design which would work well with my pack (that’s why I want to make something similar) but unfortunately it’s only currently available directly from Mammut at £10 plus £7 p&p. Although to be honest it’s not all about the cost - I like making stuff. Thanks though.

In reply to Catriona:

Convert a pair of Ron Hills into culottes and you should have plenty of amputated stretchy durable fabric for your project. 

Tigger 17 Jun 2021
In reply to Catriona:

Ah ok, that's way more than mine, though I got it a while back now. Enjoy your project! 

VictorM 18 Jun 2021
In reply to Catriona:

Cordura makes stretch nylons as well. Not sure if you can source the materials anywhere but I would guess it would be great for this project. 

Good luck, the classic Mammut helmet holder is a great and simple design. It's less great with packs under 35-ish liters (it gets a bit flabby on smaller packs), that's why I like the old bungeecord and small carabiners through ventilation ports approach for those (provided your pack has daisychains or other latch points). 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...