UKC

ARTICLE: Olympic Outfits - Sport Climbing Style at Tokyo 2020

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 23 Jun 2021

As we near the Tokyo 2020 Games, everyone's wondering "What will the climbers be wearing?" The answer - for both on and off the wall - is a mix of body-hugging Lycra, dodgy denim, designer couture and gaudy graphics. There'll be no baggy pants and patched-up down jackets in Tokyo. 

Here's a look at what the 40 athletes from 19 different countries will be wearing on the wall and during ceremonial events (the ones they will be able to attend, at least). Some countries have bespoke climbing outfits designed by outdoor brands, while others have more generic kit supplied as part of their national Olympic team's sponsor. 

Read more

In reply to UKC Articles:

Wot no Ron Hills!!!

Head firmly in hands and feeling old.

Climbing well in the road to becoming a sport where supporters wear replica shirts. We got into it because we couldn't bear football and rugby.

Fashion articles in our media, who is wearing what, who is sponsored by whom.

Thankfully the real world for me is far detached from this nonsense.

Please, in memoriam put team GB in Ron Hills, it is only right. 

john arran 23 Jun 2021
In reply to Presley Whippet:

> Climbing well in the road to becoming a sport where supporters wear replica shirts. We got into it because we couldn't bear football and rugby.

Maybe take up angling or trainspotting. Sounds like you might enjoy it for the same reasons you used to enjoy climbing.

Me, I actually like the climbing part of it. I get out of it what I've always got out of it, and what I always hope to. I don't get stressed about how other people relate to it because, really, it's not my concern.

In reply to john arran:

I still love climbing very much John. As stated earlier, the real world for me is far detached from this.

Behaviours and capitalisation of the sport by advertisers and the media less so. 

I do enjoy both angling and trainspotting thanks. Watch for my forthcoming article:

Adam Ondra's Gucci brown snorkel parka and bling thermos. 😁

Post edited at 05:10
 summo 24 Jun 2021

> I do enjoy both angling and trainspotting thanks. Watch for my forthcoming article:

"I chose something else, I chose to climb!" ? 

Qwerty2019 24 Jun 2021
In reply to john arran:

Got to laugh at your alternative example.  I know a local kid who is sponsored to the hilt.  Everything he uses is plastered with logos.  Been on various academies all over the country.  He is part of a manufacturers own squad. Has his own youtube channel.  Been on loads of online shows with celebrities.  Is part of the national team and competes every weekend up and down the country.

He loves his fishing

Post edited at 11:48
 mcdougal 24 Jun 2021

> As we near the Tokyo 2020 Games, everyone's wondering "What will the climbers be wearing?"

Erm...not quite everyone...

Ramon Marin 25 Jun 2021

I didn't expect climbing uniforms to be discussed on UKC but hey, some cool outfits there. UK and Germany are defo on the better side, Austria seemed to have got confused with cycling and some other are like going back in time. 

In reply to Ramon Marin:

'Twas just a bit of fun to distract from the stress of organising my trip to Tokyo! In fact, it provided a fascinating insight into the vastly different levels of funding and sponsorship for each country's Olympic team and their profile nationally and globally. There's an article (maybe even a book!) in that.

Post edited at 16:56
 Lankyman 25 Jun 2021

Looks like Po Faces are mandatory issue across all teams going on the pics.

Edit: no - the Germans are smiling!

Post edited at 17:20
 Herdwickmatt 25 Jun 2021
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC

Thanks I enjoyed that. It’s a very different side of the sport to the overgrown trad cracks of Northumberland but it’s still fascinating!

Andy Gamisou 26 Jun 2021
In reply to mcdougal:

> Erm...not quite everyone...

.... understands irony?

Andy Gamisou 26 Jun 2021

> Head firmly in hands and feeling old.

Your choice, I guess.

> Climbing well in the road to becoming a sport where supporters wear replica shirts.

It really isn't.

> We got into it because we couldn't bear football and rugby.

Seems like an oddly negative motivation, but OK.  Not everyone is the same. I got into it because it seemed like the next logical step from hill walking and scrambling, because it seemed to take you to places most people couldn't get to, because it seemed exciting and challenging, because it took place in (mostly) beautiful environments - to name a few reasons off the top of my head.  Certainly didn't get into it because it lacked a "uniform" - which ( as you allude to) it had anyways.  My Ron Hills were blue with a white strip.  My wife's were plain black.  I'm sure some people got into climbing for similar reasons, some for totally different ones.  I don't personally feel the need to dismiss those with motivations other to mine.

> Fashion articles in our media, who is wearing what, who is sponsored by whom.

I'm pretty sure OTE (or, if not, the other one around at the time - "Climber and Rambler"?) had the occasional fashion piece in them.  I'm also sure sponsorship was occasionally mentioned.

> Thankfully the real world for me is far detached from this nonsense.

Why is the world beyond what you personally experience and approve of "nonsense" .  I (like you) don't much care for football, but I don't feel the need to dismiss other's attachment to it by posting negative stuff in the Euro thread.

> Please, in memoriam put team GB in Ron Hills, it is only right. 

Actually, if team GB (all one of her), was to make this sort of a stand, then I'd quite like to see tweed britches and red woolly socks.  Preferably combined with a scruffy white jumper, a cloth cap and a half-smoked woodbine.  That, I definitely would like to see

[Edit] Actually, having cogitated upon it, the main initial reason I got into climbing was because I'd just seen Stone Monkey on Ch4.  I managed to delude myself that I too could be like Johnny Dawes.  In that, like in so many things, I was wrong.

Post edited at 02:45
In reply to Christheclimber:

> Wot no Ron Hills!!!

Careful what you wish for. Before you know it they'd be letting the French team wear standard issue Fontainebleau budgie smugglers for the bouldering

planetmarshall 27 Jun 2021

Shame Hugo Boss couldn't do the Teamdeutschland outfits. 

Too soon?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...