UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: The Real Thing - 25 Years Later

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Jun 2021

25 years ago in 1996, Ben Moon teamed up with his friend and climbing partner Jerry Moffatt and filmmaker Simon Tucker to make the first feature length bouldering film, The Real Thing, which would ultimately became a classic of the genre and a source of inspiration for the next generation of climbers. Moon Climbing has released a retrospective video about making The Real Thing.

Read more

jahnug 25 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Being a bit younger and seeing almost only serious and super produced climbing videos a lot of time it was a breath of fresh air to discover these older, looser style climbing videos where people are having a laugh, and with quality soundtracks, makes me nostalgic for a time I wasn't even around!

plyometrics 25 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Absolute class. 

Lord_ash2000 25 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

This came out around the time I started climbing, after a year or so we watched it for the first time and were psyched out of our minds we hadn't seen anything like it before. That easter we went on a road trip to Font (didn't even own bouldering mats) and through we were heroes climbing low to mid 6's. (we also tried to jump onto Karma but naturally couldn't do anything on it at the time. 

Great film. 

greg_may_ 25 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Soundtrack is still excellent. 

Toccata 25 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

When this came out I got on the train at 6am with my bike, cycled from Sheffield to Burbage, climbed two problems, it started raining, I cycled to Hamper’s where I sat in the rain for an hour, cycled back to Sheffield and 2 damp hours on the train back to Uni.

Loved it.

chrishamper 26 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

A great look back at a classic vid.

Jerry and Ben were goaded into doing donuts and driving fast? I don't think so.

"It's not like any climbing trips I've been on" It's like every climbing trip I've been on.

simes303 29 Jun 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Wow. I haven't seen The Real Thing for around fifteen years. I used to think it was good but it hasn't aged well. What I've just watched was the most cringworthy macho climbing film that I've ever seen.

I can't fault the soundtrack though.

I know I will now receive five hundred Dislikes, but I don't care.

ianstevens 30 Jun 2021
In reply to simes303:

Bore off, it’s aged much better than so many other climbing films

simes303 01 Jul 2021
In reply to ianstevens:

> Bore off, it’s aged much better than so many other climbing films

Okay. I've got over a hundred climbing films now, including The Real Thing which I bought when it originally came out. None of the others are so over the top "look how good we are" cringy. It was a first of its kind though so I suppose that's some excuse.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...